From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: "poster child"
Date: 23 Mar 2024 10:46:53 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 10:46 UTC

Some English expressions simply come from German /sounds/.

"Don't you get fresh with me!" probably comes from
"Jetzt werd' mal nicht frech!" (i.e., "Don't be cheeky!").

With "poster child", I also wonder whether the "child" comes from
"Aushänges/child/" (a German expression for "poster child" with
the components "Aushänge-" ["poster"] and "-schild" ["sign"]).

The word "Aushängeschild" was first used in German in 1816 at the
latest, while "poster child" was used in 1938 at the latest.

Re: "poster child"

<fc7be6995ce200be4d57f2ed69fb1112@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203898&group=alt.usage.english#203898

From: jerry.friedman99@gmail.com (jerryfriedman)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: "poster child"
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:45:21 +0000
 by: jerryfriedman - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:45 UTC

Stefan Ram wrote:

> Some English expressions simply come from German /sounds/.

> "Don't you get fresh with me!" probably comes from
> "Jetzt werd' mal nicht frech!" (i.e., "Don't be cheeky!")

Thus etymonline, and it seems possible, but I'm not convinced.

> With "poster child", I also wonder whether the "child" comes from
> "Aushänges/child/" (a German expression for "poster child" with
> the components "Aushänge-" ["poster"] and "-schild" ["sign"]).

"Child" doesn't sound much like "Schild". And I have trouble believing
that "Aushängeschild" means "child with a disability whose image is
shown on a poster to raise money for research into and treatment of
the disability". Also, I suspect "poster boy" and maybe "poster girl"
are as old as "poster child".

> The word "Aushängeschild" was first used in German in 1816 at the
> latest, while "poster child" was used in 1938 at the latest.

With the modern meaning?

--
Jerry Friedman