Nonsense and beauty have close connections. -- E. M. Forster

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Spoken English, An Example

SubjectAuthor
* Spoken English, An ExampleStefan Ram
+- Re: Spoken English, An Examplekyonshi
+* Re: Spoken English, An ExamplePaul Wolff
|+- Re: Spoken English, An ExampleSnidely
|`- Re: Spoken English, An ExamplePaul Carmichael
`- Re: Spoken English, An Examplejerryfriedman

1
Spoken English, An Example

<some-20240321153849@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203788&group=alt.usage.english#203788

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Spoken English, An Example
Date: 21 Mar 2024 14:40:30 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 14:40 UTC

From a talk I heard on video:

|The problem is: Some vectors, their indexing operators don't
|return references. And the poster child for this is "vector
|of bool".

. I gave you some context, but I listened up when hearing:

|Some vectors, their indexing operators don't return
|references.

. In standard (written )English, I think, this would be
something more like:

|The indexing operators of some vectors do not return references.

. Thanks for reading!

Re: Spoken English, An Example

<uti75d$2e9l0$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203793&group=alt.usage.english#203793

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Spoken English, An Example
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 22:00:32 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 21:00 UTC

On 3/21/2024 3:40 PM, Stefan Ram wrote:
> From a talk I heard on video:
>
> |The problem is: Some vectors, their indexing operators don't
> |return references. And the poster child for this is "vector
> |of bool".
>
> . I gave you some context, but I listened up when hearing:
>
> |Some vectors, their indexing operators don't return
> |references.
>
> . In standard (written )English, I think, this would be
> something more like:
>
> |The indexing operators of some vectors do not return references.
>
> . Thanks for reading!

So the obvious question would be...

What's the vector, Victor?

I see myself out.

Re: Spoken English, An Example

<fYxV1aBNiL$lFAVp@wolff.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203795&group=alt.usage.english#203795

From: bounceme@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk (Paul Wolff)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 22:45:33 +0000
 by: Paul Wolff - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 22:45 UTC

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024, at 14:40:30, Stefan Ram posted:
> From a talk I heard on video:

Hang on. Video is visual, talk is aural. You have lost your viewers, or
your audience, in the first seven words of your post.

>|The problem is: Some vectors, their indexing operators don't
>|return references.

That's too obscure. Who are the indexing operators of these "some
vectors"? What indexes are they operating?

>And the poster child for this is "vector
>|of bool".

This must be a joke.

> . I gave you some context,

Why do you begin a sentence with a full stop?

>but I listened up when hearing:

All right, I'll allow "listened up" but I think it means "began
listening".

>|Some vectors, their indexing operators don't return
>|references.
>
> . In standard (written )English, I think, this would be
> something more like:
>
>|The indexing operators of some vectors do not return references.

That does look better, but equally meaningless. Telephone operators used
to connect callers to receivers. What do indexing operators do, and to
whom to they return their references?

> . Thanks for reading!

Another misplaced full stop. And why do you give thanks for reading?
What about writing too? You can't have the former without the latter,
although the latter is the former, temporally speaking.
--
Paul W

Re: Spoken English, An Example

<mn.abf17e83755e1ef3.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203797&group=alt.usage.english#203797

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 16:49:08 -0700
 by: Snidely - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 23:49 UTC

Paul Wolff asserted that:
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2024, at 14:40:30, Stefan Ram posted:

>> . Thanks for reading!
>
> Another misplaced full stop. And why do you give thanks for reading? What
> about writing too? You can't have the former without the latter, although the
> latter is the former, temporally speaking.

Well, you hadn't written yet when Stefan proferred his thanks. That
thankfulness was directed towards his readers, and now you apparently
are one of those.

And those of us who are readers can give thanks for writers, and speak
generally of those. In another post, I've discussed some writers. But
now you've joined the writers, so thank you for your messages.

/dps

--
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same.

Re: Spoken English, An Example

<c7095a85bb58ec0fdfd1da78c9dc111f@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203822&group=alt.usage.english#203822

From: jerry.friedman99@gmail.com (jerryfriedman)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 13:17:06 +0000
 by: jerryfriedman - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 13:17 UTC

Stefan Ram wrote:

> From a talk I heard on video:

> |The problem is: Some vectors, their indexing operators don't
> |return references. And the poster child for this is "vector
> |of bool".

> . I gave you some context, but I listened up when hearing:

I don't see any reason to make your posting style more eccentric.

> |Some vectors, their indexing operators don't return
> |references.

> . In standard (written )English, I think, this would be
> something more like:

> |The indexing operators of some vectors do not return references.

Or "Some vectors' indexing operators don't return references." Not
that I know what indexing operators are or what references they
might return.

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: Spoken English, An Example

<pan$be4a8$51ef8eb4$5d84e027$919bb8e0@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203907&group=alt.usage.english#203907

From: wibbleypants@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 23 Mar 2024 16:21:06 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 16:21 UTC

El Thu, 21 Mar 2024 22:45:33 +0000, Paul Wolff escribió:

> On Thu, 21 Mar 2024, at 14:40:30, Stefan Ram posted:

>>|The indexing operators of some vectors do not return references.
>
> That does look better, but equally meaningless.

In programmer-speak (OOP), it would sound fine.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es