I will not forget you.

interests / alt.usage.english / what women have

SubjectAuthor
* what women havenavi
+* Re: what women haveJanet
|`* Re: what women haveAthel Cornish-Bowden
| `- Re: what women haveSam Plusnet
`* Re: what women haveLionelEdwards
 +- Re: what women havenavi
 `- Re: what women haveHibou

1
what women have

<05caff234c50d9bc43883a2442587e22@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204027&group=alt.usage.english#204027

From: arthurvarr@gmail.com (navi)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: what women have
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 04:42:40 +0000
 by: navi - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 04:42 UTC

1) It is amazing what women he has dated. They are all gorgeous, and he is such an ugly idiot.
2) It is amazing what kinds of women he has dated. They are all gorgeous, and he is such an ugly idiot.

3) It is amazing what women have dated him. They are all gorgeous, and he is such an ugly idiot.
4) It is amazing what kinds of women have dated him. They are all gorgeous, and he is such an ugly idiot.

Are the above sentences all grammatical, and meaningful?

Gratefully,
Navi

Lost in the Twilight Zone of the English language
Interested in strange structures
Obsessed with ambiguity

Re: what women have

<MPG.406cb95d60bef1a9989c1c@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204042&group=alt.usage.english#204042

From: nobody@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: what women have
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 10:52:47 -0000
 by: Janet - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 10:52 UTC

In article <05caff234c50d9bc43883a2442587e22
@www.novabbs.com>, arthurvarr@gmail.com says...

> Are the above sentences all grammatical, and meaningful?

They are all bigoted sexist claptrap.

Janet

Re: what women have

<l6fq6uFrctvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204044&group=alt.usage.english#204044

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:34:53 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:34 UTC

On 2024-03-26 10:52:47 +0000, Janet said:

> In article <05caff234c50d9bc43883a2442587e22
> @www.novabbs.com>, arthurvarr@gmail.com says...
>

>> Are the above sentences all grammatical, and meaningful?
>
> They are all bigoted sexist claptrap.

That's what I thought.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: what women have

<27a9c1d0ba2038b2a2e67b70914c6c1f@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204067&group=alt.usage.english#204067

From: dougstaples@gmx.com (LionelEdwards)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 17:11:43 +0000
 by: LionelEdwards - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 17:11 UTC

navi wrote:

> 1) It is amazing what women he has dated. They are all gorgeous, and he is such an ugly idiot.
> 2) It is amazing what kinds of women he has dated. They are all gorgeous, and he is such an ugly idiot.

> 3) It is amazing what women have dated him. They are all gorgeous, and he is such an ugly idiot.
> 4) It is amazing what kinds of women have dated him. They are all gorgeous, and he is such an ugly idiot.

> Are the above sentences all grammatical, and meaningful?

I think all of us have known an "ugly idiot" who manages (inexplicably) to
attract the best looking girls? I don't see there is anything inherently
"sexist" about that. Michael Myers is able to play the best-looking man
in the world? Also the worst-looking? In the same film?

The best looking here:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhQhZyNKqhM>

Perhaps Janet can provide us with a link to his Scottish alter-ego?

Re: what women have

<6kGMN.695529$xHn7.39139@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204074&group=alt.usage.english#204074

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 20:35:14 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 20:35 UTC

On 26-Mar-24 11:34, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2024-03-26 10:52:47 +0000, Janet said:
>
>> In article <05caff234c50d9bc43883a2442587e22
>> @www.novabbs.com>, arthurvarr@gmail.com says...
>>

>>> Are the above sentences all grammatical, and meaningful?
>>
>>  They are all bigoted sexist claptrap.
>
> That's what I thought.

Agreed, but I'm now pondering on the link between "claptrap"[1] and
"clickbait".

[1] The original, theatrical meaning.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: what women have

<0c1969159761452022f68c51b18932b0@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204075&group=alt.usage.english#204075

From: arthurvarr@gmail.com (navi)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 20:35:49 +0000
 by: navi - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 20:35 UTC

Thank you all very much,

My apologies to Janet, Athel, and whoever else was offended. I didn't mean to be sexist. I just thought beautiful women were more difficult to date, as were handsome men, so an ugly idiot wouldn't have much chance of dating beautiful women.

I don't think beauty is a value per se, but when it comes to dating, then it does play its part.

I should have probably said 'beautiful smart women' to balance things out. I didn't think about that. I could have left beauty out of it altogether and said 'smart women'.

Anway, I should have stirred clear of such matters.

Thank you Lionell. Your thinking seems to be similar to what my thinking was when I made the post. But I should have been more careful. I should have thought that at least some people might have found the sentences offensive.

Janet and Athel seem to be on the same wavelength a lot of times.

Respectfully,
Navi

Re: what women have

<uu0ent$2mfni$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204091&group=alt.usage.english#204091

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 06:35:40 +0000
 by: Hibou - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 06:35 UTC

Le 26/03/2024 à 17:11, LionelEdwards a écrit :
> navi wrote:
>>
>> 1) It is amazing what women he has dated. They are all gorgeous, and
>> he is such an ugly idiot.
>> 2) It is amazing what kinds of women he has dated. They are all
>> gorgeous, and he is such an ugly idiot.
>>
>> 3) It is amazing what women have dated him. They are all gorgeous, and
>> he is such an ugly idiot.
>> 4) It is amazing what kinds of women have dated him. They are all
>> gorgeous, and he is such an ugly idiot.
>>
>> Are the above sentences all grammatical, and meaningful?

Yes.

> I think all of us have known an "ugly idiot" who manages (inexplicably) to
> attract the best looking girls? I don't see there is anything inherently
> "sexist" about that. Michael Myers is able to play the best-looking man
> in the world? Also the worst-looking? In the same film?
> The best looking here:
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhQhZyNKqhM>
> Perhaps Janet can provide us with a link to his Scottish alter-ego?

I have my doubts as to whether it is possible to attract women when one
is both ugly /and/ an idiot. One or the other, yes. John Mortimer, the
creator of Rumpole, was nothing to look at in his later years, yet women
still clustered round him - but then he was the exact opposite of an idiot.

The same in reverse, of course - plain women with attractive souls, that
sort of thing. This is an observation /about/ the sexes, but it is not
sexist.