I am the mother of all things, and all things should wear a sweater.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: dominoes?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: dominoes?Sn!pe
`* Re: dominoes?Peter Moylan
 +* Re: dominoes?Rich Ulrich
 |+* Re: dominoes?J. P. Gilliver
 ||`* Re: dominoes?Sn!pe
 || `* Re: dominoes?J. P. Gilliver
 ||  +- Re: dominoes?Sn!pe
 ||  `* Re: dominoes?jerryfriedman
 ||   +- Re: dominoes?J. P. Gilliver
 ||   `- Re: dominoes?Phil Carmody
 |`- Re: dominoes?Mark Brader
 `* Re: dominoes?Janet
  +* Re: dominoes?Sn!pe
  |`* Re: dominoes?Sam Plusnet
  | `* Re: dominoes?Tony Cooper
  |  `* Re: dominoes?Bertel Lund Hansen
  |   `* Re: dominoes?Tony Cooper
  |    +- Re: dominoes?Bertel Lund Hansen
  |    `- Re: dominoes?Rich Ulrich
  `- Re: dominoes?Peter Moylan

1
Re: dominoes?

<1qqvqjg.u20k2k1qpnm8uN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203905&group=alt.usage.english#203905

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe,alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: dominoes?
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 16:01:58 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 16:01 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

> I just heard on a TV drama "it dominoes quickly", which is presumably a
> reference to the expression "fell like dominoes", which caused me to
> think: my perception is that the practice of setting up many thousands
> of dominoes to fall over, usually to break a new world (or national,
> state, or whatever) record, really got going in the 1970s or '80s. But I
> feel the expression is older than that - so what is its origin?

News just in: Verbing nouns weirds language.

[crosspost added: apihna; aue]

ObApostrophe abuse: him's; her's; it's.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon has full confidence in our political masters.

Re: dominoes?

<utnnk7$3trum$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203929&group=alt.usage.english#203929

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe,alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 10:12:05 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 23:12 UTC

On 24/03/24 03:01, Sn!pe wrote:
> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>> I just heard on a TV drama "it dominoes quickly", which is
>> presumably a reference to the expression "fell like dominoes",
>> which caused me to think: my perception is that the practice of
>> setting up many thousands of dominoes to fall over, usually to
>> break a new world (or national, state, or whatever) record, really
>> got going in the 1970s or '80s. But I feel the expression is older
>> than that - so what is its origin?
>
> News just in: Verbing nouns weirds language.
>
> [crosspost added: apihna; aue]
>
> ObApostrophe abuse: him's; her's; it's.

"The domino theory" had a major influence on Australian politics in the
1950s. The idea was that if one country converted to communism, that
would immediately spread to the next country in line.

The idea was especially powerful given that, on a map, the path from
China to Australia was downhill all the way.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: dominoes?

<ulquvipigjf1c7mri3lksscq50ee6924in@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203932&group=alt.usage.english#203932

From: rich.ulrich@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe,alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 20:02:02 -0400
 by: Rich Ulrich - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 00:02 UTC

On Sun, 24 Mar 2024 10:12:05 +1100, Peter Moylan
<peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>On 24/03/24 03:01, Sn!pe wrote:
>> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I just heard on a TV drama "it dominoes quickly", which is
>>> presumably a reference to the expression "fell like dominoes",
>>> which caused me to think: my perception is that the practice of
>>> setting up many thousands of dominoes to fall over, usually to
>>> break a new world (or national, state, or whatever) record, really
>>> got going in the 1970s or '80s. But I feel the expression is older
>>> than that - so what is its origin?
>>
>> News just in: Verbing nouns weirds language.
>>
>> [crosspost added: apihna; aue]
>>
>> ObApostrophe abuse: him's; her's; it's.
>
>"The domino theory" had a major influence on Australian politics in the
>1950s. The idea was that if one country converted to communism, that
>would immediately spread to the next country in line.

In the late 1960s, as I recall, the domino theory was a
mainstay of why the US had to stay in Viet Nam. I don't
know if it was invoked for why we went there in the first
place.

Oh, a quick Google between 1950 and 1970 hits a mention
of "Eisenhower's domino theory" - so that would be 1950s.
(I remembered to click 'Tools' after the first search, to set
a range -- a refinement I've only lately started using. Some
hits have recent dates, for reasons yet unknown, but most
are old.)

>The idea was especially powerful given that, on a map, the path from
>China to Australia was downhill all the way.

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: dominoes?

<JEfiz0ERi3$lFwnI@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203935&group=alt.usage.english#203935

Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 00:49:21 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe,alt.usage.english
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 00:49 UTC

In message <ulquvipigjf1c7mri3lksscq50ee6924in@4ax.com> at Sat, 23 Mar
2024 20:02:02, Rich Ulrich <rich.ulrich@comcast.net> writes
>On Sun, 24 Mar 2024 10:12:05 +1100, Peter Moylan
><peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>>> News just in: Verbing nouns weirds language.
>>>
>>> [crosspost added: apihna; aue]
>>>
>>> ObApostrophe abuse: him's; her's; it's.
>>
>>"The domino theory" had a major influence on Australian politics in the
>>1950s. The idea was that if one country converted to communism, that
>>would immediately spread to the next country in line.
>
>In the late 1960s, as I recall, the domino theory was a
>mainstay of why the US had to stay in Viet Nam. I don't
>know if it was invoked for why we went there in the first
>place.
>
>Oh, a quick Google between 1950 and 1970 hits a mention
>of "Eisenhower's domino theory" - so that would be 1950s.
>(I remembered to click 'Tools' after the first search, to set
>a range -- a refinement I've only lately started using. Some
>hits have recent dates, for reasons yet unknown, but most
>are old.)
>

>>The idea was especially powerful given that, on a map, the path from
>>China to Australia was downhill all the way.

Yes, but why "domino", rather than "downhill", "cascade", "chain", or
similar?

Science fiction is escape into reality - Arthur C Clarke

Re: dominoes?

<1qqwgl6.1rdonoatkxj4bN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203936&group=alt.usage.english#203936

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe,alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 01:12:53 +0000
iZ4vFDG
 by: Sn!pe - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 01:12 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

[...]

> >In the late 1960s, as I recall, the domino theory was a
> >mainstay of why the US had to stay in Viet Nam. I don't
> >know if it was invoked for why we went there in the first
> >place.
> >
> >Oh, a quick Google between 1950 and 1970 hits a mention
> >of "Eisenhower's domino theory" - so that would be 1950s.
> >(I remembered to click 'Tools' after the first search, to set
> >a range -- a refinement I've only lately started using. Some
> >hits have recent dates, for reasons yet unknown, but most
> >are old.)
> >

> >>The idea was especially powerful given that, on a map, the path from
> >>China to Australia was downhill all the way.
> >
> Yes, but why "domino", rather than "downhill", "cascade", "chain", or
> similar?

It does convey a sense of serial falling, also clattering.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon has full confidence in our political masters.

Re: dominoes?

<Pb5TUxHIV4$lFw3z@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203937&group=alt.usage.english#203937

Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 01:43:36 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe,alt.usage.english
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 01:43 UTC

In message <1qqwgl6.1rdonoatkxj4bN%snipeco.2@gmail.com> at Sun, 24 Mar
2024 01:12:53, Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> writes
>J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>> >In the late 1960s, as I recall, the domino theory was a
>> >mainstay of why the US had to stay in Viet Nam. I don't
>> >know if it was invoked for why we went there in the first
>> >place.
>> >
>> >Oh, a quick Google between 1950 and 1970 hits a mention
>> >of "Eisenhower's domino theory" - so that would be 1950s.
>> >(I remembered to click 'Tools' after the first search, to set
>> >a range -- a refinement I've only lately started using. Some
>> >hits have recent dates, for reasons yet unknown, but most
>> >are old.)

>> Yes, but why "domino", rather than "downhill", "cascade", "chain", or
>> similar?
>
>It does convey a sense of serial falling, also clattering.

Only if the practice of setting up dominoes in this way is a lot older
than I thought it was.

A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.

Re: dominoes?

<1qqwitx.14alfzt1nejixjN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203938&group=alt.usage.english#203938

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe,alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 02:07:10 +0000
This article comprises only my personal opinions unless otherwise stated.
May contain traces of nuts.
 by: Sn!pe - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 02:07 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

> Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> writes
> >J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

[...]

> >> Yes, but why "domino", rather than "downhill", "cascade",
> >> "chain", or similar?
> >
> >It does convey a sense of serial falling, also clattering.
> >
> Only if the practice of setting up dominoes in this way is
> a lot older than I thought it was.

It must be nearly 70 years ago (i.e. mid-1950s) that my dad showed
me that domino trick. I'm pretty sure that he would have learned it
in his own early childhood, no doubt from his own dad, my grandad.
That would be a century ago.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon has full confidence in our political masters.

Re: dominoes?

<hcmcnR2Mt7tRE2L4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203939&group=alt.usage.english#203939

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 02:24:12 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 02:24 UTC

Rich Ulrich:
> In the late 1960s, as I recall, the domino theory was a
> mainstay of why the US had to stay in Viet Nam...

> Oh, a quick Google between 1950 and 1970 hits a mention
> of "Eisenhower's domino theory" - so that would be 1950s.

Indeed, in the OED Online the earliest cite for this metaphorical
use of "domino" is by one D.D. Eisenhower in 1954:

# "You had broader considerations that might follow what you might
# call the 'falling domino' principle. You had a row of dominoes set
# up, and you knocked over the first one, and what would happen to
# the last one was the certainty that it would go over very quickly."

They list it as a sense of "domino" rather than having an entry for
the actual phrase "domino theory". The earliest cite using the
phrase is from 1965 (in the "New Statesman").
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Yes, you're very smart. Shut up."
msb@vex.net --The Princess Bride

Re: dominoes?

<ad754fe3f21e66ab4c84c7047a8db0db@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203941&group=alt.usage.english#203941

From: jerry.friedman99@gmail.com (jerryfriedman)
Newsgroups: alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe,alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 03:20:26 +0000
 by: jerryfriedman - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 03:20 UTC

J. P. Gilliver wrote:

> In message <1qqwgl6.1rdonoatkxj4bN%snipeco.2@gmail.com> at Sun, 24 Mar
> 2024 01:12:53, Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> writes
>>J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

[domino theory]

>>> Yes, but why "domino", rather than "downhill", "cascade", "chain", or
>>> similar?
>>
>>It does convey a sense of serial falling, also clattering.
>>
> Only if the practice of setting up dominoes in this way is a lot older
> than I thought it was.

Here's a reference from 1866:

https://books.google.com/books?id=yhoFAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA76

The author calls it "This familiar trick, which perhaps every reader
has practiced as a child."

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: dominoes?

<ofIaFhIMG$$lFwiZ@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203947&group=alt.usage.english#203947

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.goja.nl.eu.org!3.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!feeder1-2.proxad.net!proxad.net!feeder1-1.proxad.net!193.141.40.65.MISMATCH!npeer.as286.net!npeer-ng0.as286.net!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-1.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 09:25:32 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe,alt.usage.english
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 09:25 UTC

In message <ad754fe3f21e66ab4c84c7047a8db0db@www.novabbs.com> at Sun, 24
Mar 2024 03:20:26, jerryfriedman <jerry.friedman99@gmail.com> writes
>J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>
>> In message <1qqwgl6.1rdonoatkxj4bN%snipeco.2@gmail.com> at Sun, 24
>>Mar 2024 01:12:53, Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> writes
>>>J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>[domino theory]

>>>It does convey a sense of serial falling, also clattering.
>>>
>> Only if the practice of setting up dominoes in this way is a lot
>>older than I thought it was.
>
>Here's a reference from 1866:
>
>https://books.google.com/books?id=yhoFAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA76
>
>The author calls it "This familiar trick, which perhaps every reader
>has practiced as a child."

OK, fair enough - obviously a lot older than I'd thought! I guess the
mass record-breaking activity _did_ perhaps get going about the
1970s/'80s (especially in Holland for some reason), but the practice -
and thus concept - is much older.

"Scheisse," said Pooh, trying out his German.

Re: dominoes?

<MPG.406a5f75976be80989c18@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203957&group=alt.usage.english#203957

From: nobody@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe,alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 16:04:47 -0000
 by: Janet - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 16:04 UTC

In article <utnnk7$3trum$1@dont-email.me>,
peter@pmoylan.org.invalid says...

> On 24/03/24 03:01, Sn!pe wrote:
> > J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> I just heard on a TV drama "it dominoes quickly", which is
> >> presumably a reference to the expression "fell like dominoes",
> >> which caused me to think: my perception is that the practice of
> >> setting up many thousands of dominoes to fall over, usually to
> >> break a new world (or national, state, or whatever) record, really
> >> got going in the 1970s or '80s. But I feel the expression is older
> >> than that - so what is its origin?
> >
> > News just in: Verbing nouns weirds language.
> >
> > [crosspost added: apihna; aue]
> >
> > ObApostrophe abuse: him's; her's; it's.
>
> "The domino theory" had a major influence on Australian politics in the
> 1950s. The idea was that if one country converted to communism, that
> would immediately spread to the next country in line.

Doesn't the first domino have to fall, before it can
crush its neighbour ?

> The idea was especially powerful given that, on a map, the path from
> China to Australia was downhill all the way.

Sounds like Thatcher and Reagan's theory of trickle-
down wealth. If you let the rich get even richer, it
benefits the poor.
It's just a matter of time until someone explains how
promoting obesity in the first world benefits the starving
elsewhere.

Janet

Re: dominoes?

<1qqxnm6.8k2so51qo0dc8N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203960&group=alt.usage.english#203960

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe,alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 16:42:58 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 16:42 UTC

<nobody@home.com> wrote:

[...]

> It's just a matter of time until someone explains how
> promoting obesity in the first world benefits the starving
> elsewhere.
>
> Janet

Apart from evil capitalist "food" manufacturers,
who is promoting obesity?

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon has full confidence in our political masters.

Re: dominoes?

<GE_LN.453607$vFZa.105155@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203962&group=alt.usage.english#203962

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 18:53:25 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 18:53 UTC

On 24-Mar-24 16:42, Sn!pe wrote:
> <nobody@home.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> It's just a matter of time until someone explains how
>> promoting obesity in the first world benefits the starving
>> elsewhere.
>>
>> Janet
>>

> Apart from evil capitalist "food" manufacturers,
> who is promoting obesity?

WeightWatchers. Their very existence depends on it.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: dominoes?

<j1v00jhvl2nd6t46epnumikfroo0k5ko7s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203964&group=alt.usage.english#203964

From: tonycooper214@gmail.com (Tony Cooper)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 15:19:24 -0400
 by: Tony Cooper - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 19:19 UTC

On Sun, 24 Mar 2024 18:53:25 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 24-Mar-24 16:42, Sn!pe wrote:
>> <nobody@home.com> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> It's just a matter of time until someone explains how
>>> promoting obesity in the first world benefits the starving
>>> elsewhere.
>>>
>>> Janet
>>>

>> Apart from evil capitalist "food" manufacturers,
>> who is promoting obesity?
>
>WeightWatchers. Their very existence depends on it.

That's like saying that doctors and hospitals promote illness.

There is an element of promotion, but the element is the recognition
of obesity or illness and the need to deal with it, not the promotion
of being obese or ill.

Re: dominoes?

<utpuo0$hsls$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203966&group=alt.usage.english#203966

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 20:25:52 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 19:25 UTC

Tony Cooper wrote:

>>> Apart from evil capitalist "food" manufacturers,
>>> who is promoting obesity?
>>
>>WeightWatchers. Their very existence depends on it.
>
> That's like saying that doctors and hospitals promote illness.

Or saying that teachers promote stupidity.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: dominoes?

<s2210j51d33ehnroan77cq1cnpm4sr95ts@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203969&group=alt.usage.english#203969

From: tonycooper214@gmail.com (Tony Cooper)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 16:14:54 -0400
 by: Tony Cooper - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 20:14 UTC

On Sun, 24 Mar 2024 20:25:52 +0100, Bertel Lund Hansen
<gadekryds@lundhansen.dk> wrote:

>>>WeightWatchers. Their very existence depends on it.
>>
>> That's like saying that doctors and hospitals promote illness.
>
>Or saying that teachers promote stupidity.

Well, Florida's Governor DeSantis is busily proposing and enacting
laws to achieve that. Lessons about slavery, for example, now must
include that "slaves developed skills" that could be used for "their
personal benefit".

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-black-history-curriculum-document-pdf-new-teaching-standards-slavery-education/

Re: dominoes?

<utq4b6$j9rs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203974&group=alt.usage.english#203974

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 22:01:26 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 21:01 UTC

Tony Cooper wrote:

>>Or saying that teachers promote stupidity.
>
> Well, Florida's Governor DeSantis is busily proposing and enacting
> laws to achieve that. Lessons about slavery, for example, now must
> include that "slaves developed skills" that could be used for "their
> personal benefit".
>
> https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-black-history-curriculum-document-pdf-new-teaching-standards-slavery-education/

Reality surpasses imagination.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: dominoes?

<flc10jh992d2rfht7k1a7lc56ktnl1jm11@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203977&group=alt.usage.english#203977

From: rich.ulrich@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 19:19:10 -0400
 by: Rich Ulrich - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 23:19 UTC

On Sun, 24 Mar 2024 16:14:54 -0400, Tony Cooper
<tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Mar 2024 20:25:52 +0100, Bertel Lund Hansen
><gadekryds@lundhansen.dk> wrote:

>>> That's like saying that doctors and hospitals promote illness.
>>
>>Or saying that teachers promote stupidity.
>
>Well, Florida's Governor DeSantis is busily proposing and enacting
>laws to achieve that. Lessons about slavery, for example, now must
>include that "slaves developed skills" that could be used for "their
>personal benefit".
>
>https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-black-history-curriculum-document-pdf-new-teaching-standards-slavery-education/

When that came out, some apologists offered as examples
of slave training a bunch of names of Blacks who became
famous in the last quarter of the 19th century. Unfortunately
for their case, none (?) of them were proper examples.

At least half of them had never been slaves, a couple being
too young; and the rest had educated themselves afterwards.

Maybe some of the quiet racists have been confused by
dim recollections of the history of the Mamlucks, a slave caste
in Egypt (approximately) - (Wiki)
Most notably, Mamluk factions seized the sultanate centered
on Egypt and Syria, and controlled it as the Mamluk Sultanate
(1250–1517)

Slave success!

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: dominoes?

<utqcmj$l3d8$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203979&group=alt.usage.english#203979

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe,alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 10:24:01 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 23:24 UTC

On 25/03/24 03:04, Janet wrote:
> In article <utnnk7$3trum$1@dont-email.me>,
> peter@pmoylan.org.invalid says...

>> "The domino theory" had a major influence on Australian politics in the
>> 1950s. The idea was that if one country converted to communism, that
>> would immediately spread to the next country in line.
>
> Doesn't the first domino have to fall, before it can
> crush its neighbour ?

>> The idea was especially powerful given that, on a map, the path from
>> China to Australia was downhill all the way.
>
> Sounds like Thatcher and Reagan's theory of trickle-
> down wealth. If you let the rich get even richer, it
> benefits the poor.
>
> It's just a matter of time until someone explains how
> promoting obesity in the first world benefits the starving
> elsewhere.

The trickle-down theory explained:

<http://www.pmoylan.org/ftp/humour/outhouse.jpg>

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: dominoes?

<8734sd9mzz.fsf@fatphil.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204050&group=alt.usage.english#204050

From: pc+usenet@asdf.org (Phil Carmody)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 14:49:20 +0200
sha1:yezVPLzWUD8Y1vYjSgm76Hnw008=
 by: Phil Carmody - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:49 UTC

jerry.friedman99@gmail.com (jerryfriedman) writes:
> J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <1qqwgl6.1rdonoatkxj4bN%snipeco.2@gmail.com> at Sun, 24
>> Mar 2024 01:12:53, Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> writes
>>>J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
> [domino theory]

>>>It does convey a sense of serial falling, also clattering.
>>>
>> Only if the practice of setting up dominoes in this way is a lot
>> older than I thought it was.
>
> Here's a reference from 1866:
>
> https://books.google.com/books?id=yhoFAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA76
>
> The author calls it "This familiar trick, which perhaps every reader
> has practiced as a child."

Google NGrams seems to think that "fall like dominoes" dates back nearly
as far, but I am unable to trick it into yielding an actual quote or
citation. "Domino effect" has a blip even earlier, in the 1820s.

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=domino+effect%2Cfall+like+dominoes&year_start=1800&year_end=1960&corpus=en-2019&smoothing=3

Phil
--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast