HERE LIES LESTER MOORE SHOT 4 TIMES WITH A .44 NO LES NO MOORE -- tombstone, in Tombstone, AZ

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Site

SubjectAuthor
* Sitekyonshi
+* Re: SiteAthel Cornish-Bowden
|`- Re: Sitekyonshi
+- Re: SiteSn!pe
+* Re: SiteStefan Ram
|+* Re: Sitekyonshi
||`- Re: Sitekyonshi
|`- Re: SiteTony Cooper
`* Re: SiteGarrett Wollman
 `- Re: SiteMark Brader

1
Site

<uthdp9$27t2p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203784&group=alt.usage.english#203784

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Site
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 14:47:21 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 13:47 UTC

Ok, I am asking this embarrassingly late, but how do you use the word
"site" in connections with Usenet?

I keep reading about Usenet "sites" especially in older documentation,
but nobody ever bothers to define it. And of course searching for it by
now only gives information about websites.

Re: Site

<l62s87FrsljU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203785&group=alt.usage.english#203785

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Site
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 14:49:59 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 13:49 UTC

On 2024-03-21 13:47:21 +0000, kyonshi said:

> Ok, I am asking this embarrassingly late, but how do you use the word
> "site" in connections with Usenet?
>
> I keep reading about Usenet "sites" especially in older documentation,
> but nobody ever bothers to define it. And of course searching for it by
> now only gives information about websites.

Can you give an example of where you have come across this? Otherwise I
can only guess what it might mean.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Site

<1qqrw9c.1n0563mn6de4uN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203786&group=alt.usage.english#203786

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 14:03:11 +0000
This article comprises only my personal opinions unless otherwise stated.
May contain traces of nuts.
 by: Sn!pe - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 14:03 UTC

kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, I am asking this embarrassingly late, but how do you use the word
> "site" in connections with Usenet?
>
> I keep reading about Usenet "sites" especially in older documentation,
> but nobody ever bothers to define it. And of course searching for it by
> now only gives information about websites.

I think it refers to News Service Providers (NSPs) and their
newsservers.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: Site

<site-20240321150245@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203787&group=alt.usage.english#203787

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 21 Mar 2024 14:04:58 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 14:04 UTC

kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote or quoted:
>Ok, I am asking this embarrassingly late, but how do you use the word
>"site" in connections with Usenet?

In Usenet, a "site" is a newsserver that can connect to
Usenet. A site gains access to Usenet by finding another site
on Usenet with which it can connect and exchange news articles.

In more general terms, a "site" is any network computer,
often associated with a location or organization in this sense.

You must have been here before, since a "kyonshi" is a kind of
reanimated corpse.

Re: Site

<uti6sh$2e7bo$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203790&group=alt.usage.english#203790

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 21:55:47 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 20:55 UTC

On 3/21/2024 3:04 PM, Stefan Ram wrote:
> kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote or quoted:
>> Ok, I am asking this embarrassingly late, but how do you use the word
>> "site" in connections with Usenet?
>
> In Usenet, a "site" is a newsserver that can connect to
> Usenet. A site gains access to Usenet by finding another site
> on Usenet with which it can connect and exchange news articles.
>
> In more general terms, a "site" is any network computer,
> often associated with a location or organization in this sense.
>
> You must have been here before, since a "kyonshi" is a kind of
> reanimated corpse.

Ok, so it's a newsserver. From my reading I was wondering if it was
either that or a newsgroup. Unfortunately it's thrown around rather
often without clarification.

I did name myself that after watching Mr. Vampire, needing a new
username on reddit, and finding the name Jiangshu. I found Kyonshi as a
Japanese translation of that.

Unfortunately it turns out that some anime character has been called
like that lately, so I guess people now assume I am totally into that.

Re: Site

<uti6vm$2e9l0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203791&group=alt.usage.english#203791

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 21:57:29 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 20:57 UTC

On 3/21/2024 2:49 PM, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2024-03-21 13:47:21 +0000, kyonshi said:
>
>> Ok, I am asking this embarrassingly late, but how do you use the word
>> "site" in connections with Usenet?
>>
>> I keep reading about Usenet "sites" especially in older documentation,
>> but nobody ever bothers to define it. And of course searching for it
>> by now only gives information about websites.
>
> Can you give an example of where you have come across this? Otherwise I
> can only guess what it might mean.

ctlinnd for INN has this in it's help:
begin site Start newly-added site
drop site Stop feeding site

etc.

from the context I was not sure if this is supposed to be a server or a
group.

Re: Site

<uti73a$2e9l0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203792&group=alt.usage.english#203792

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 21:59:24 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 20:59 UTC

On 3/21/2024 9:55 PM, kyonshi wrote:
> On 3/21/2024 3:04 PM, Stefan Ram wrote:
>> kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote or quoted:
>>> Ok, I am asking this embarrassingly late, but how do you use the word
>>> "site" in connections with Usenet?
>>
>>    In Usenet, a "site" is a newsserver that can connect to
>>    Usenet. A site gains access to Usenet by finding another site
>>    on Usenet with which it can connect and exchange news articles.
>>
>>    In more general terms, a "site" is any network computer,
>>    often associated with a location or organization in this sense.
>>
>>    You must have been here before, since a "kyonshi" is a kind of
>>    reanimated corpse.
>
> Ok, so it's a newsserver. From my reading I was wondering if it was
> either that or a newsgroup. Unfortunately it's thrown around rather
> often without clarification.
>
> I did name myself that after watching Mr. Vampire, needing a new
> username on reddit, and finding the name Jiangshu. I found Kyonshi as a
> Japanese translation of that.

Argh... "...finding the name Jiangshi taken."

I need to sleep.

> Unfortunately it turns out that some anime character has been called
> like that lately, so I guess people now assume I am totally into that.

Re: Site

<o2apvipgclvm1l7v3p0as2gc0g4cqm0b6b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203794&group=alt.usage.english#203794

From: tonycooper214@gmail.com (Tony Cooper)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 17:38:54 -0400
 by: Tony Cooper - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 21:38 UTC

On 21 Mar 2024 14:04:58 GMT, ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
wrote:

>kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote or quoted:
>>Ok, I am asking this embarrassingly late, but how do you use the word
>>"site" in connections with Usenet?
>
> In Usenet, a "site" is a newsserver that can connect to
> Usenet. A site gains access to Usenet by finding another site
> on Usenet with which it can connect and exchange news articles.
>
> In more general terms, a "site" is any network computer,
> often associated with a location or organization in this sense.
>
> You must have been here before, since a "kyonshi" is a kind of
> reanimated corpse.

A "site" is a location. The location, in regard to Usenet, could be
the news server, the news reader host, the thread, or the message
depending on context.

Re: Site

<uturrj$1nmb$1@usenet.csail.mit.edu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204059&group=alt.usage.english#204059

From: wollman@hergotha.csail.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:07:15 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: wollman@hergotha.csail.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
 by: Garrett Wollman - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:07 UTC

In article <uthdp9$27t2p$1@dont-email.me>, kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:
>Ok, I am asking this embarrassingly late, but how do you use the word
>"site" in connections with Usenet?
>
>I keep reading about Usenet "sites" especially in older documentation,
>but nobody ever bothers to define it. And of course searching for it by
>now only gives information about websites.

Historically, Usenet was operated by universities and companies
involved in the Unix operating system, and interconnected by telephone
calls done late at night when long-distance rates were lowest. "Site"
is used in the exact same sense, a physical location of a business or
institution (most notably, the American Telephone and Telegraph
Company, which had research and engineering facilities in
Indianapolis, Columbus, Murray Hill, Holmdel, and several other
places. The software needs to distinguish between articles that are
being sent to Indianapolis (ihnp4) or Murray Hill (mhuxu) or Holmdel
(research), or for that matter the Center for Seismic Studies (seismo)
or Digital Equipment Corporation Western Research Laboratory (decwrl).

Today these traditional Unix hostnames have been replaced with
hierarchical Internet domain names, but Usenet predates the Domain
Name System, and was originally layered on top of the even older
Unix-to-Unix Copy Program (uucp), so it couldn't depend on domain
names -- and in fact, most of the early Usenet hosts weren't able or
even eligible to be connected to what was then still the US Department
of Defense's experimental data network, the ARPANET.

-GAWollman

wollman@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is

Re: Site

<GOWcnXxeJ5FjlZ77nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204069&group=alt.usage.english#204069

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 17:42:22 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 17:42 UTC

Garrett Wollman:
> Historically, Usenet was operated by universities and companies
> involved in the Unix operating system, and interconnected by telephone
> calls done late at night...

> The software needs to distinguish between articles that are
> being sent to Indianapolis (ihnp4) or...

Indian Hill, Naperville, Illinois. ihnp4 was Indian Hill Network Processor 4.
--
Mark Brader | Those who mourn for "USENET like it was" should
Toronto | remember the original design estimates of maximum