Hindsight is always 20:20. -- Billy Wilder

interests / alt.usage.english / Wrapped up like a douche

SubjectAuthor
* Wrapped up like a doucheLionelEdwards
`* Re: Wrapped up like a doucheKerr-Mudd, John
 +- Re: Wrapped up like a doucheLionelEdwards
 +- Re: Wrapped up like a douchejerryfriedman
 `* Re: Wrapped up like a doucheTony Cooper
  +* Re: Wrapped up like a doucheSnidely
  |+* Re: Wrapped up like a doucheTony Cooper
  ||`* Re: Wrapped up like a doucheSnidely
  || `* Re: Wrapped up like a doucheSnidely
  ||  `* Re: Wrapped up like a doucheSnidely
  ||   `- Re: Wrapped up like a doucheSam Plusnet
  |+- Re: Wrapped up like a doucheSam Plusnet
  |`* Re: Wrapped up like a douchePeter Moylan
  | `* Re: Wrapped up like a doucheSnidely
  |  `* Re: Wrapped up like a douchelar3ryca
  |   `- Re: Wrapped up like a doucheSnidely
  `* Re: Wrapped up like a doucheBertel Lund Hansen
   +- Re: Wrapped up like a douchePeter Moylan
   `* Re: Wrapped up like a douchelar3ryca
    `* Re: Wrapped up like a doucheSam Plusnet
     +- Re: Wrapped up like a douchePeter Moylan
     `* Re: Wrapped up like a doucheJanet
      `- Re: Wrapped up like a doucheBertel Lund Hansen

1
Wrapped up like a douche

<8bfed6797a22f957b90ba618e4d6ea7c@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204111&group=alt.usage.english#204111

From: dougstaples@gmx.com (LionelEdwards)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Wrapped up like a douche
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:49:07 +0000
 by: LionelEdwards - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:49 UTC

Bruce Springsteen was today awarded a prestigious Ivor Novello award
for song-writing. For many Brits this may have been the first
Springsteen song they ever heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgOvpIK_kSA

"Wrapped up like a douche"?

Really :)

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<20240327192901.8f010233cdf17e9bbef8c826@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204112&group=alt.usage.english#204112

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Wrapped up like a douche
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 19:29:01 +0000
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 19:29 UTC

On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:49:07 +0000
dougstaples@gmx.com (LionelEdwards) wrote:

> Bruce Springsteen was today awarded a prestigious Ivor Novello award
> for song-writing. For many Brits this may have been the first
> Springsteen song they ever heard:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgOvpIK_kSA

I presume this is Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the Light"?
Classic Springsteen would be "Born to Run" and, for extra points:
Pattie Smith's "Because the Night".

> "Wrapped up like a douche"?
>
> Really :)

Deuce
- but that's similarly undecipherable to me.

But tell me Lionel, why are you using Doug Staples email?

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<636a7a7a76da502f62ebae7903b2c11a@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204113&group=alt.usage.english#204113

From: dougstaples@gmx.com (LionelEdwards)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 19:39:25 +0000
 by: LionelEdwards - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 19:39 UTC

Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:49:07 +0000
> dougstaples@gmx.com (LionelEdwards) wrote:

>> Bruce Springsteen was today awarded a prestigious Ivor Novello award
>> for song-writing. For many Brits this may have been the first
>> Springsteen song they ever heard:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgOvpIK_kSA

> I presume this is Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the Light"?
> Classic Springsteen would be "Born to Run"...

"...hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard"?

...and, for extra points: Pattie Smith's "Because the Night".

>> "Wrapped up like a douche"?
>>
>> Really :)

> Deuce
> - but that's similarly undecipherable to me.

The "deuce" was a 1932 Ford - hence "revved up like a deuce".

> But tell me Lionel, why are you using Doug Staples email?

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<080bb57c64213e90b9460e8b8d79923e@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204114&group=alt.usage.english#204114

From: jerry.friedman99@gmail.com (jerryfriedman)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 20:04:25 +0000
 by: jerryfriedman - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 20:04 UTC

Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:49:07 +0000
> dougstaples@gmx.com (LionelEdwards) wrote:

>> Bruce Springsteen was today awarded a prestigious Ivor Novello award
>> for song-writing. For many Brits this may have been the first
>> Springsteen song they ever heard:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgOvpIK_kSA

> I presume this is Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the Light"?
> Classic Springsteen would be "Born to Run"

One might add "Rosalita" and "Thunder Road", but...

> and, for extra points:
> Pattie Smith's "Because the Night".

...now you're talking.

Fans of early Bruce might enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUhsV0HxC6E

According to Wikipedia, Springsteen wrote the song originally, but
when he let Patti Smith record it, she changed the lyrics, something
she was eminently suited to do.

>> "Wrapped up like a douche"?
>>
>> Really :)

> Deuce
> - but that's similarly undecipherable to me.

I don't think it's supposed to be decipherable.

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<cr490jhirgf144cmrt6tdfjc64dd0urvcg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204120&group=alt.usage.english#204120

From: tonycooper214@gmail.com (Tony Cooper)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 18:05:53 -0400
 by: Tony Cooper - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 22:05 UTC

On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 19:29:01 +0000, "Kerr-Mudd, John"
<admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:49:07 +0000
>dougstaples@gmx.com (LionelEdwards) wrote:
>
>> Bruce Springsteen was today awarded a prestigious Ivor Novello award
>> for song-writing. For many Brits this may have been the first
>> Springsteen song they ever heard:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgOvpIK_kSA
>
>I presume this is Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the Light"?
>Classic Springsteen would be "Born to Run" and, for extra points:
>Pattie Smith's "Because the Night".
>>
>> "Wrapped up like a douche"?
>>
>> Really :)
>
>Deuce
>- but that's similarly undecipherable to me.
>

>But tell me Lionel, why are you using Doug Staples email?

The complete line is "Revved up like a deuce, another runner in the
night".

That clearly refers to a 1932 Ford model 18. The "Little Deuce Coupe"
is/was a popular car for hotrodders who often raced or cruised at
night on unpopulated roads. The song of that name was came out in by
the Beach Boys in 1963. "Blinded By The Light" came out in 1973, when
hot rods (modified vintage automobiles) were still popular.

To "rev up", means to hit the accelerator when the engine is running
but the car is in neutral. The engine roars.

The movie "American Graffiti" came out in 1973, and "Milner" drove a
"Deuce Coupe" in that movie.

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<mn.dc537e83e0513cf9.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204123&group=alt.usage.english#204123

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 18:27:15 -0700
 by: Snidely - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 01:27 UTC

Thus spake Tony Cooper:
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 19:29:01 +0000, "Kerr-Mudd, John"
> <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:49:07 +0000
>> dougstaples@gmx.com (LionelEdwards) wrote:
>>
>>> Bruce Springsteen was today awarded a prestigious Ivor Novello award
>>> for song-writing. For many Brits this may have been the first
>>> Springsteen song they ever heard:
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgOvpIK_kSA
>>
>> I presume this is Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the Light"?
>> Classic Springsteen would be "Born to Run" and, for extra points:
>> Pattie Smith's "Because the Night".
>>>
>>> "Wrapped up like a douche"?
>>>
>>> Really :)
>>
>> Deuce
>> - but that's similarly undecipherable to me.
>>

>> But tell me Lionel, why are you using Doug Staples email?
>
> The complete line is "Revved up like a deuce, another runner in the
> night".
>
> That clearly refers to a 1932 Ford model 18. The "Little Deuce Coupe"
> is/was a popular car for hotrodders who often raced or cruised at
> night on unpopulated roads.

I love this sentence:

> The song of that name was came out in by
> the Beach Boys in 1963.

> "Blinded By The Light" came out in 1973, when
> hot rods (modified vintage automobiles) were still popular.
>
> To "rev up", means to hit the accelerator when the engine is running
> but the car is in neutral. The engine roars.
>
> The movie "American Graffiti" came out in 1973, and "Milner" drove a
> "Deuce Coupe" in that movie.

I still haven't seen more than clips of that movie. I have some huge
skips in my cultural uptaking. One of the streams I watch often has
commentators ragging on each about missing cultural references. (I
think "It's Always Sunny in Philedelphia" came up in one of these.)
Some of the streamers are old enough to remember early Space Shuttle
launches. And some are young enough to think that "Swifties" are just
those who Taylor fans, like em, that an iPod ... or worse, an CD
player ... is terribly inconvenient when you can just click in Apple
Music on your favorite TS album, and that movies shot with 24 fps are
unwatchable.

/dps "send the spider pictures to Adrian, not to Alex"

--
Ieri, oggi, domani

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<oki90j99vh67uklumuf2nnj7vo4bh9j0qk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204125&group=alt.usage.english#204125

From: tonycooper214@gmail.com (Tony Cooper)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 21:45:00 -0400
 by: Tony Cooper - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 01:45 UTC

On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 18:27:15 -0700, Snidely <snidely.too@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Thus spake Tony Cooper:
>> On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 19:29:01 +0000, "Kerr-Mudd, John"
>> <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>>> I presume this is Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the Light"?
>>> Classic Springsteen would be "Born to Run" and, for extra points:
>>> Pattie Smith's "Because the Night".

>>> Deuce
>>> - but that's similarly undecipherable to me.
>>>

>>> But tell me Lionel, why are you using Doug Staples email?
>>
>> The complete line is "Revved up like a deuce, another runner in the
>> night".
>>
>> That clearly refers to a 1932 Ford model 18. The "Little Deuce Coupe"
>> is/was a popular car for hotrodders who often raced or cruised at
>> night on unpopulated roads.
>
>I love this sentence:
>
>> The song of that name was came out in by
>> the Beach Boys in 1963.
>
>> "Blinded By The Light" came out in 1973, when
>> hot rods (modified vintage automobiles) were still popular.
>>
>> To "rev up", means to hit the accelerator when the engine is running
>> but the car is in neutral. The engine roars.
>>
>> The movie "American Graffiti" came out in 1973, and "Milner" drove a
>> "Deuce Coupe" in that movie.
>
>I still haven't seen more than clips of that movie. I have some huge
>skips in my cultural uptaking. One of the streams I watch often has
>commentators ragging on each about missing cultural references. (I
>think "It's Always Sunny in Philedelphia"

Careful with that petard. It's a violation of Skitt's Law to hoist
it.

>came up in one of these.)
>Some of the streamers are old enough to remember early Space Shuttle
>launches. And some are young enough to think that "Swifties" are just
>those who Taylor fans, like em, that an iPod ... or worse, an CD
>player ... is terribly inconvenient when you can just click in Apple
>Music on your favorite TS album, and that movies shot with 24 fps are
>unwatchable.
>
>/dps "send the spider pictures to Adrian, not to Alex"

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<M_4NN.170266$hN14.32606@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204127&group=alt.usage.english#204127

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 02:55:39 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 02:55 UTC

On 28-Mar-24 1:27, Snidely wrote:

> I still haven't seen more than clips of that movie.  I have some huge
> skips in my cultural uptaking.  One of the streams I watch often has
> commentators ragging on each about missing cultural references.  (I
> think "It's Always Sunny in Philedelphia" came up in one of these.) Some
> of the streamers are old enough to remember early Space Shuttle
> launches.  And some are young enough to think that "Swifties" are just
> those who Taylor fans, like em, that an iPod  ... or worse, an CD player
> ...  is terribly inconvenient when you can just click in Apple Music on
> your favorite TS album, and that movies shot with 24 fps are unwatchable.

Their parents decided that any film in black and white was unwatchable.
(Or would that be their grandparents? I lose track.)

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<mn.dd167e83e779a065.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204128&group=alt.usage.english#204128

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 21:42:41 -0700
 by: Snidely - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 04:42 UTC

On Wednesday or thereabouts, Tony Cooper declared ...
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 18:27:15 -0700, Snidely <snidely.too@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thus spake Tony Cooper:

>>> The complete line is "Revved up like a deuce, another runner in the
>>> night".
>>>
>>> That clearly refers to a 1932 Ford model 18. The "Little Deuce Coupe"
>>> is/was a popular car for hotrodders who often raced or cruised at
>>> night on unpopulated roads.
>>
>> I love this sentence:
>>
>>> The song of that name was came out in by
>>> the Beach Boys in 1963.
>>
>>> "Blinded By The Light" came out in 1973, when
>>> hot rods (modified vintage automobiles) were still popular.
>>>
>>> To "rev up", means to hit the accelerator when the engine is running
>>> but the car is in neutral. The engine roars.
>>>
>>> The movie "American Graffiti" came out in 1973, and "Milner" drove a
>>> "Deuce Coupe" in that movie.
>>
>> I still haven't seen more than clips of that movie. I have some huge
>> skips in my cultural uptaking. One of the streams I watch often has
>> commentators ragging on each about missing cultural references. (I
>> think "It's Always Sunny in Philedelphia"
>
> Careful with that petard. It's a violation of Skitt's Law to hoist
> it.

Must be ball or chain, because shot doesn't have any a's.

>> came up in one of these.)
>> Some of the streamers are old enough to remember early Space Shuttle
>> launches. And some are young enough to think that "Swifties" are just
>> those who Taylor fans, like em, that an iPod ... or worse, an CD
>> player ... is terribly inconvenient when you can just click in Apple
>> Music on your favorite TS album, and that movies shot with 24 fps are
>> unwatchable.
>>
>> /dps "send the spider pictures to Adrian, not to Alex"

-d

--
Let's celebrate Macaronesia

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<mn.dd277e830e1a0c4c.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204129&group=alt.usage.english#204129

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 21:59:03 -0700
 by: Snidely - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 04:59 UTC

Snidely presented the following explanation :
> On Wednesday or thereabouts, Tony Cooper declared ...
>> On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 18:27:15 -0700, Snidely <snidely.too@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thus spake Tony Cooper:

>>> I love this sentence:

>>> I still haven't seen more than clips of that movie. I have some huge
>>> skips in my cultural uptaking. One of the streams I watch often has
>>> commentators ragging on each about missing cultural references. (I think
>>> "It's Always Sunny in Philedelphia"
>>
>> Careful with that petard. It's a violation of Skitt's Law to hoist
>> it.
>
> Must be ball or chain, because shot doesn't have any a's.
>
>>> came up in one of these.) Some of the streamers are old enough to
>>> remember early Space Shuttle launches. And some are young enough to think
>>> that "Swifties" are just those who Taylor fans,

we both missed this one ... arrrrgh!

--
Trust, but verify.

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<uu3303$3dmnt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204131&group=alt.usage.english#204131

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 17:33:35 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 06:33 UTC

On 28/03/24 12:27, Snidely wrote:

> And some are young enough to think that "Swifties" are just those who [...]

"I'm in a hurry", said Taylor swiftly.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<uu35ir$3e8vq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204132&group=alt.usage.english#204132

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 08:17:47 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 07:17 UTC

Tony Cooper wrote:

> The song of that name was came out in by
> the Beach Boys in 1963.

Two verbs and three prepositions in a row.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<uu3efn$3gd9o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204138&group=alt.usage.english#204138

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 20:49:44 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 09:49 UTC

On 28/03/24 18:17, Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:
> Tony Cooper wrote:
>
>> The song of that name was came out in by
>> the Beach Boys in 1963.
>
> Two verbs and three prepositions in a row.

Even so, he kept the sentence short.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<mn.e25e7e83758b84b8.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204146&group=alt.usage.english#204146

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 10:06:34 -0700
 by: Snidely - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 17:06 UTC

With a quizzical look, Peter Moylan observed:
> On 28/03/24 12:27, Snidely wrote:
>
>> And some are young enough to think that "Swifties" are just those who [...]
>
> "I'm in a hurry", said Taylor swiftly.

Super!

-d

--
Yes, I have had a cucumber soda. Why do you ask?

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<mn.e2617e8304c0aea9.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204147&group=alt.usage.english#204147

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 10:09:44 -0700
 by: Snidely - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 17:09 UTC

Remember Wednesday, when Snidely asked plaintively:
> Snidely presented the following explanation :
>> On Wednesday or thereabouts, Tony Cooper declared ...

>>> Careful with that petard. It's a violation of Skitt's Law to hoist
>>> it.
>>
>> Must be ball or chain, because shot doesn't have any a's.

And classically, it is the petard that does the hoisting.

> we both missed this one ... arrrrgh!

/dps

--
Why would I want to be alone with my thoughts?
Have you heard some of the shit that comes out of my mouth?

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<HhjNN.4627$T%2.711@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204150&group=alt.usage.english#204150

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 19:11:34 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 19:11 UTC

On 28-Mar-24 17:09, Snidely wrote:
> Remember  Wednesday, when  Snidely asked plaintively:
>> Snidely presented the following explanation :
>>> On Wednesday or thereabouts, Tony Cooper declared ...

>>> Must be ball or chain, because shot doesn't have any a's.
>
> And classically, it is the petard that does the hoisting.

Petards seem to like company.
"If I'm going up there, you're coming with me!"

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<uu4hvc$3p79e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204151&group=alt.usage.english#204151

From: larry@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 13:55:24 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 19:55 UTC

On 2024-03-28 11:06, Snidely wrote:
> With a quizzical look, Peter Moylan observed:
>> On 28/03/24 12:27, Snidely wrote:
>>
>>> And some are young enough to think that "Swifties" are just those who
>>> [...]
>>
>> "I'm in a hurry", said Taylor swiftly.

AOL

But...

"Who the hell is Tayor?", asked Tom, swiftly.

--
Boomerang: n
The situation when someone is about to say to you "OK, Boomer.",

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<uu4i22$3p79e$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204152&group=alt.usage.english#204152

From: larry@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 13:56:50 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 19:56 UTC

On 2024-03-28 01:17, Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:
> Tony Cooper wrote:
>
>> The song of that name was came out in by
>> the Beach Boys in 1963.
>
> Two verbs and three prepositions in a row.

No, I don't think they're fighting.

--
Which odd number becomes even if you take away a letter?
(S)even.

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<mn.e3467e8305b8e683.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204153&group=alt.usage.english#204153

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 13:58:59 -0700
 by: Snidely - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 20:58 UTC

on 3/28/2024, lar3ryca supposed :
> On 2024-03-28 11:06, Snidely wrote:
>> With a quizzical look, Peter Moylan observed:

>>> "I'm in a hurry", said Taylor swiftly.
>
> AOL
>
> But...
>
> "Who the hell is Tayor?", asked Tom, swiftly.

oh my ....

/dps "I'm much too slow to top this one, even with rocket assist"

--
potstickers, Japanese gyoza, Chinese dumplings, let's do it

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<nMnNN.20006$au2.2766@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204163&group=alt.usage.english#204163

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 00:17:22 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 00:17 UTC

On 28-Mar-24 19:56, lar3ryca wrote:
> On 2024-03-28 01:17, Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:
>> Tony Cooper wrote:
>>
>>> The song of that name was came out in by
>>> the Beach Boys in 1963.
>>
>> Two verbs and three prepositions in a row.
>
> No, I don't think they're fighting.

Two verbs and three prepositions walked into a bar...

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<uu57lt$3u7kk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204164&group=alt.usage.english#204164

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 13:05:46 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 02:05 UTC

On 29/03/24 11:17, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 28-Mar-24 19:56, lar3ryca wrote:

>>> Two verbs and three prepositions in a row.
>>
>> No, I don't think they're fighting.
>
> Two verbs and three prepositions walked into a bar...

Out! Get out! Fuck off!

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<MPG.4070a3fc7a50fdd5989c1f@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204176&group=alt.usage.english#204176

From: nobody@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 10:10:41 -0000
 by: Janet - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 10:10 UTC

In article <nMnNN.20006$au2.2766@fx12.ams1>, not@home.com
says...

> On 28-Mar-24 19:56, lar3ryca wrote:

> >> Two verbs and three prepositions in a row.
> >
> > No, I don't think they're fighting.
>
> Two verbs and three prepositions walked into a bar...

" We'd like five commas and a full stop, please."

Janet

Re: Wrapped up like a douche

<uu66ov$8ec7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204183&group=alt.usage.english#204183

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 11:56:31 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 10:56 UTC

Janet wrote:

>>> No, I don't think they're fighting.
>>
>> Two verbs and three prepositions walked into a bar...
>
> " We'd like five commas and a full stop, please."

I will serve verbs, but I will not serve prepositions!

--
Bertel, Denmark