From: HenHanna@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.poetry,sci.lang
Subject: I found myself singing "Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf".
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 10:13:25 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 17:13 UTC

On 3/29/2024 3:15 AM, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 29/03/24 20:35, Ross Clark wrote:
>
>> Walked into the Ouse River after filling her coat pockets with
>> stones. It was three weeks before her body was found.
>
> By coincidence, it was just yesterday that our house was full of
> children's songs, because of a surfeit of grandchildren. And I found
> myself singing "Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf".

------- i looked for the song, and i can't find it.

The title "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" is actually not a commonly
known song, at least not in the traditional sense.

Here's the breakdown:

It originates from a play by Edward Albee, first staged in 1962.

Within the play, the characters Martha and George do sing a version of
the children's song "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?" with "Virginia
Woolf" replacing "the Big Bad Wolf."

There are also a couple of instances where adaptations of the play
include instrumental pieces titled things like "Who's Afraid of Virginia
Woolf?" but these wouldn't be widely recognized songs.

So, while the title itself is famous due to the play, it's not a
standalone song most people would be familiar with.

____________________

The original cast of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" on Broadway in
1962 featured:

Uta Hagen as Martha
Arthur Hill as George
Melinda Dillon as Honey
George Grizzard as Nick

The play was directed by Alan Schneider.

____________

Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton famously starred in the 1966 film
adaptation of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?".

Their performances were widely acclaimed and both were nominated for
Academy Awards (Taylor winning Best Actress).

The original cast, as I mentioned before, belonged to the 1962 Broadway
production.

Re: I found myself singing "Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf".

<uu85av$q9a5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204248&group=alt.usage.english#204248

From: benlizro@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:44:07 +1300
 by: Ross Clark - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 04:44 UTC

On 30/03/2024 6:13 a.m., HenHanna wrote:

> On 3/29/2024 3:15 AM, Peter Moylan wrote:
> > On 29/03/24 20:35, Ross Clark wrote:
> >
> >> Walked into the Ouse River after filling her coat pockets with
> >> stones. It was three weeks before her body was found.
> >
> > By coincidence, it was just yesterday that our house was full of
> > children's songs, because of a surfeit of grandchildren. And I found
> > myself singing "Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf".
> >

> -------  i looked for the song, and i can't find it.
>

> The title "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" is actually not a commonly
> known song, at least not in the traditional sense.
>
> Here's the breakdown:
>
> It originates from a play by Edward Albee, first staged in 1962.
>
> Within the play, the characters Martha and George do sing a version of
> the children's song "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?" with "Virginia
> Woolf" replacing "the Big Bad Wolf."

The "children's song", be it noted, was written by Frank Churchill and
Ann Ronell for the 1933 Disney cartoon "Three Little Pigs". But it
certainly was in oral tradition by the time I was a child.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who%27s_Afraid_of_the_Big_Bad_Wolf%3F

> There are also a couple of instances where adaptations of the play
> include instrumental pieces titled things like "Who's Afraid of Virginia
> Woolf?" but these wouldn't be widely recognized songs.
>
> So, while the title itself is famous due to the play, it's not a
> standalone song most people would be familiar with.
>
> ____________________
>
> The original cast of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" on Broadway in
> 1962 featured:
>
> Uta Hagen as Martha
> Arthur Hill as George
> Melinda Dillon as Honey
> George Grizzard as Nick
>
> The play was directed by Alan Schneider.
>
> ____________
>

> Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton famously starred in the 1966 film
> adaptation of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?".
>
> Their performances were widely acclaimed and both were nominated for
> Academy Awards (Taylor winning Best Actress).
>
> The original cast, as I mentioned before, belonged to the 1962 Broadway
> production.

Re: I found myself singing "Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf".

<uu87dp$ql61$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204249&group=alt.usage.english#204249

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 16:19:50 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 05:19 UTC

HenHanna apparently wrote:

>> ------- i looked for the song, and i can't find it.
>>
>> The title "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" is actually not a commonly
>> known song, at least not in the traditional sense.

Nevertheless, I suspect that 90% of the people who read the above know
exactly the tune I was singing.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW