From: HenHanna@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Subject: "a sight for sore eyes" -- [lion's share]
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 14:27:14 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 21:27 UTC

[bear's service] -- reminds me of [lion's share]

it seems that 99% of the people who use the expression
[lion's share] use it to mean just [a big share]

>>> In everyday use, people often use "lion's share" to simply mean a
large portion, not necessarily taking everything. It's become more of a
general term for getting the biggest part of something.

On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 12:38:13 PM UTC-7, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 4:38:49 AM UTC-7, db wrote:
> > I was reading a piece about how to get rid of slugs in your
> > garden, and the text (verbose as usual) introduced slugs,
> > and commented "a sight for sore eyes"; evidently meaning a
> > bad sight. I assume this has not spread widely though.
>
> > We have a word in Danish that has flipped meaning,
> > "bjørnetjeneste", literally bear's service, meaning a bad
> > service or favour, but young people now tend to focus on
> > the strength and size of bears and take it to mean a good
> > service done.
> >
> > --
> > Dieter Britz

> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sight_for_sore_eyes
>
> Dutch: lust voor het oog
>

> thanks for the Tidbit about flipped meaning !

i found the paragraph.

This is Google's cache of
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/garden/1672708/how-to-get-rid-of-slugs-garden-plants-vinegar-citrus-peel

Autumn is one of the busiest seasons for
slugs with plenty of hiding places to choose from to lay their eggs.
Their long, slimy bodies are not only a sight for sore eyes, but they
can be a nuisance for gardeners too - especially around fruits and
vegetables. While it is almost impossible to stop slugs emerging on a
cool, damp evening, there are lots of quick and effective ways to
prevent (((your))) precious plants from being eaten. According to pest
experts, all you need is (((are?))) a few household ingredients to
get the job done.

------ for some reason, reading the paragraph made me think it's a she.
i was right > By Phoebe Cornish

------------- at least she didn't use
the phrase [for a long period of time]

> Autumn is one of the busiest seasons -------- bad writing.

Re: "a sight for sore eyes" -- [lion's share]

<uu7c0r$h5qg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204228&group=alt.usage.english#204228

From: HenHanna@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: "a sight for sore eyes" -- [lion's share]
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 14:32:10 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 21:32 UTC

On 3/29/2024 2:27 PM, HenHanna wrote:

> [bear's service] -- reminds me of  [lion's share]
>
>           it seems that 99% of the people who use the expression
>                   [lion's share] use it to mean just [a big share]

> large portion, not necessarily taking everything. It's become more of a
> general term for getting the biggest part of something.
>

> On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 12:38:13 PM UTC-7, henh...@gmail.com
> wrote:
> > On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 4:38:49 AM UTC-7, db wrote:
> > > I was reading a piece about how to get rid of slugs in your
> > > garden, and the text (verbose as usual) introduced slugs,
> > > and commented "a sight for sore eyes"; evidently meaning a
> > > bad sight. I assume this has not spread widely though.
> >
> > > We have a word in Danish that has flipped meaning,
> > > "bjørnetjeneste", literally bear's service, meaning a bad
> > > service or favour, but young people now tend to focus on
> > > the strength and size of bears and take it to mean a good
> > > service done.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Dieter Britz
>

> > https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sight_for_sore_eyes
> >
> > Dutch: lust voor het oog
> >

> > thanks for the Tidbit about flipped meaning !
>

> i found the paragraph.
>

> This is Google's cache of
> https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/garden/1672708/how-to-get-rid-of-slugs-garden-plants-vinegar-citrus-peel
>

>                             Autumn is one of the busiest seasons for
> slugs with plenty of hiding places to choose from to lay their eggs.
> Their long, slimy bodies are not only a sight for sore eyes, but they
> can be a nuisance for gardeners too - especially around fruits and
> vegetables. While it is almost impossible to stop slugs emerging on a
> cool, damp evening, there are lots of quick and effective ways to
> prevent (((your)))  precious plants from being eaten. According to pest
> experts, all you need is    (((are?)))  a few household ingredients to
> get the job done.
>

> ------  for some reason, reading the paragraph made me think it's a she.
>                         i was right    >  By Phoebe Cornish
>

>           -------------  at least she didn't use
>                          the phrase   [for a long period of time]
>

> >  Autumn is one of the busiest seasons  -------- bad writing.

Here are some expressions in other languages that have a similar meaning
to "a sight for sore eyes":

French:
C'est un bonheur pour les yeux (It's a happiness for the eyes)

Qu'est-ce que ça fait du bien de te voir ! (How good it is to see you!)
[informal]

German:
Schön, dich zu sehen! (Nice to see you!) [informal] -- not similar!

Ein Augenfest (A feast for the eyes)