Jealousy is all the fun you think they have.

interests / alt.usage.english / Term between friend and acquaintance

SubjectAuthor
* Term between friend and acquaintanceKyonshi
+- Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceHenHanna
+* Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceHibou
|`- Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceHibou
+* Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceStefan Ram
|+* Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceStefan Ram
||`* Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceHibou
|| +* Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceStefan Ram
|| |`* Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceHibou
|| | +- Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceAthel Cornish-Bowden
|| | `- Re: Term between friend and acquaintancelar3ryca
|| +- Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceoccam
|| `- Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceAthel Cornish-Bowden
|`* Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceHibou
| `- Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceAthel Cornish-Bowden
`* Re: Term between friend and acquaintancelar3ryca
 +- Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceHibou
 +* Re: Term between friend and acquaintancePeter Moylan
 |`- Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceoccam
 `* Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceSam Plusnet
  `* Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceRuud Harmsen
   `* Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceBertel Lund Hansen
    +* Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceKerr-Mudd, John
    |`* Re: Term between friend and acquaintancePeter Moylan
    | `- Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceBertel Lund Hansen
    `- Re: Term between friend and acquaintanceRuud Harmsen

Pages:12
Term between friend and acquaintance

<uu7iaf$ine1$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204233&group=alt.usage.english#204233

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Term between friend and acquaintance
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 00:01:40 +0100
 by: Kyonshi - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 23:01 UTC

Is there a term for someone between a friend and an acquaintance in
English? We were just struggling to define someone who was definitely
better acquainted than a mere acquaintance (my wife having known him for
over 20 years), but still not as close as a friend would be (his wife
being a close friend to my wife).

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<27628de1a041f577d29aad0df377762f@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204245&group=alt.usage.english#204245

From: HenHanna@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Term between friend and acquaintance
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 03:42:04 +0000
 by: HenHanna - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 03:42 UTC

Kyonshi wrote:

> Is there a term for someone between a friend and an acquaintance in
> English? We were just struggling to define someone who was definitely
> better acquainted than a mere acquaintance (my wife having known him for
> over 20 years), but still not as close as a friend would be (his wife
> being a close friend to my wife).

i don't think there's such a word in English....

a related Jp word is Yottomo.

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<uu8d1r$ribr$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204257&group=alt.usage.english#204257

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 06:55:55 +0000
 by: Hibou - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 06:55 UTC

Le 29/03/2024 à 23:01, Kyonshi a écrit :

> Is there a term for someone between a friend and an acquaintance in
> English? We were just struggling to define someone who was definitely
> better acquainted than a mere acquaintance (my wife having known him for
> over 20 years), but still not as close as a friend would be (his wife
> being a close friend to my wife).

Not that I know of. One would have to use a phrase - 'acquaintance of 20
years', 'acquaintance of long standing', 'almost a friend', etc..

'Acquaintance' is already better than 'mere acquaintance'.

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<uu8he6$skfv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204265&group=alt.usage.english#204265

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:10:45 +0000
 by: Hibou - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:10 UTC

Le 30/03/2024 à 06:55, Hibou a écrit :
> Le 29/03/2024 à 23:01, Kyonshi a écrit :
>>
>> Is there a term for someone between a friend and an acquaintance in
>> English? We were just struggling to define someone who was definitely
>> better acquainted than a mere acquaintance (my wife having known him
>> for over 20 years), but still not as close as a friend would be (his
>> wife being a close friend to my wife).
>
> Not that I know of. One would have to use a phrase - 'acquaintance of 20
> years', 'acquaintance of long standing', 'almost a friend', etc..

'Close acquaintance' - perhaps.

> 'Acquaintance' is already better than 'mere acquaintance'.

Or you could refer to the nature of the relationship - neighbour,
colleague, friend of a friend, badminton partner, her-next-door's
husband... whatever.

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<term-20240330092213@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204267&group=alt.usage.english#204267

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 30 Mar 2024 08:23:27 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:23 UTC

Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote or quoted:
>Is there a term for someone between a friend and an acquaintance in
>English?

The term that best describes someone who is more than an acquaintance
but less than a friend is a "casual friend" or "acquaintance-friend".

An acquaintance is someone you know casually, but don't have a close
personal relationship with. A friend is someone you have a close,
personal bond with. A casual friend or acquaintance-friend falls in
between - they are more than just an acquaintance, as you may enjoy
their company and have some shared interests or experiences, but
your relationship is not as intimate as a close friendship.

Some other terms that have been suggested for this in-between
relationship include "semafriend", "agentic friendship", and
"comrade". However, "casual friend" or "acquaintance-friend"
seem to be the most commonly used and understood terms in English.

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<info-20240330092731@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204271&group=alt.usage.english#204271

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 30 Mar 2024 08:31:59 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:31 UTC

ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote or quoted:
>The term that best describes someone who is more than an acquaintance
>but less than a friend is a "casual friend" or "acquaintance-friend".

My preceding post contains the header line:

, so you can tell whether it was generated or written by me!

was generated by a chatbot. Other possible values might
include "False" to indicated that it was not generated
by a chatbot, "Partial" to indicate that parts were generated
by a chatbot, and "Edited" to indicate that parts were
generated by a chatbot, but then edited by me.

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<uu8ipe$sul5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204272&group=alt.usage.english#204272

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:33:49 +0000
 by: Hibou - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:33 UTC

Le 30/03/2024 à 08:23, Stefan Ram a écrit :
> Kyonshi wrote or quoted:
>>
>> Is there a term for someone between a friend and an acquaintance in
>> English?
>
> The term that best describes someone who is more than an acquaintance
> but less than a friend is a "casual friend" or "acquaintance-friend".
>
> An acquaintance is someone you know casually, but don't have a close
> personal relationship with. A friend is someone you have a close,
> personal bond with. A casual friend or acquaintance-friend falls in
> between - they are more than just an acquaintance, as you may enjoy
> their company and have some shared interests or experiences, but
> your relationship is not as intimate as a close friendship.
>
> Some other terms that have been suggested for this in-between
> relationship include "semafriend", "agentic friendship", and
> "comrade". However, "casual friend" or "acquaintance-friend"
> seem to be the most commonly used and understood terms in English.

Says who? Cat-I've-farted (ChatGPT)?

Please don't quote opinions without indicating their source.

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<uu8ita$sul5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204273&group=alt.usage.english#204273

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:35:54 +0000
 by: Hibou - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:35 UTC

Le 30/03/2024 à 08:31, Stefan Ram a écrit :

> My preceding post contains the header line:

> , so you can tell whether it was generated or written by me!

> was generated by a chatbot. Other possible values might
> include "False" to indicated that it was not generated
> by a chatbot, "Partial" to indicate that parts were generated
> by a chatbot, and "Edited" to indicate that parts were
> generated by a chatbot, but then edited by me.

Bollocks to that!

Indicate the source in the body of your posting!

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<chatbot-20240330093917@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204274&group=alt.usage.english#204274

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 30 Mar 2024 08:46:03 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:46 UTC

Hibou <vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote or quoted:
>Indicate the source in the body of your posting!

Hello there! I hope this message finds you doing well. I wanted
to take a moment to express my sincere gratitude for your
thoughtful suggestion. I really appreciate you taking the time
to share your ideas with me - it's feedback like yours that helps
me continue to improve and provide the best possible experience.

Hidden Header

I will definitely be considering your suggestion carefully.
In fact, I might even repeat the "hidden" header line in
the body of messages, just to make sure it stands out. I'm
always striving to be as helpful and informative as I can be,
so please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other
thoughts or questions. I'm here to assist in any way I can.

I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day! Best regards!

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<l6q1v5Ff06uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204275&group=alt.usage.english#204275

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 09:48:37 +0100
 by: occam - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:48 UTC

On 30/03/2024 09:35, Hibou wrote:
> Le 30/03/2024 à 08:31, Stefan Ram a écrit :
>>
>>    My preceding post contains the header line:

>>    , so you can tell whether it was generated or written by me!

>>    was generated by a chatbot. Other possible values might
>>    include "False" to indicated that it was not generated
>>    by a chatbot, "Partial" to indicate that parts were generated
>>    by a chatbot, and "Edited" to indicate that parts were
>>    generated by a chatbot, but then edited by me.
>
> Bollocks to that!
>
> Indicate the source in the body of your posting!

Hehe! "From the web" is the best you are going to get from that jackboot.

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<uu8jmn$sul5$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204276&group=alt.usage.english#204276

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:49:27 +0000
 by: Hibou - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:49 UTC

Le 30/03/2024 à 08:46, Stefan Ram a écrit :
> Hibou wrote or quoted:
>>
>> Indicate the source in the body of your posting!
>
> Hello there! I hope this message finds you doing well. I wanted
> to take a moment to express my sincere gratitude for your
> thoughtful suggestion. I really appreciate you taking the time
> to share your ideas with me - it's feedback like yours that helps
> me continue to improve and provide the best possible experience.
>
> Hidden Header
>
> I will definitely be considering your suggestion carefully.
> In fact, I might even repeat the "hidden" header line in
> the body of messages, just to make sure it stands out. I'm
> always striving to be as helpful and informative as I can be,
> so please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other
> thoughts or questions. I'm here to assist in any way I can.
>
> I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day! Best regards!

Killfile.

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<l6q2gfFf3ovU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204278&group=alt.usage.english#204278

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 09:57:55 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:57 UTC

On 2024-03-30 08:33:49 +0000, Hibou said:

> Le 30/03/2024 à 08:23, Stefan Ram a écrit :
>> Kyonshi wrote or quoted:
>>>
>>> Is there a term for someone between a friend and an acquaintance in
>>> English?
>>
>> The term that best describes someone who is more than an acquaintance
>> but less than a friend is a "casual friend" or "acquaintance-friend".
>>
>> An acquaintance is someone you know casually, but don't have a close
>> personal relationship with. A friend is someone you have a close,
>> personal bond with. A casual friend or acquaintance-friend falls in
>> between - they are more than just an acquaintance, as you may enjoy
>> their company and have some shared interests or experiences, but
>> your relationship is not as intimate as a close friendship.
>>
>> Some other terms that have been suggested for this in-between
>> relationship include "semafriend", "agentic friendship", and
>> "comrade". However, "casual friend" or "acquaintance-friend"
>> seem to be the most commonly used and understood terms in English.
>
> Says who? Cat-I've-farted (ChatGPT)?
>
> Please don't quote opinions without indicating their source.

But that's what Stefan always does. I have never heard
"acquaintance-friend" and think it only exists in his imagination.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<l6q2iaFf3ovU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204279&group=alt.usage.english#204279

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 09:58:54 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:58 UTC

On 2024-03-30 08:35:54 +0000, Hibou said:

> Le 30/03/2024 à 08:31, Stefan Ram a écrit :
>>
>> My preceding post contains the header line:

>> , so you can tell whether it was generated or written by me!

>> was generated by a chatbot. Other possible values might
>> include "False" to indicated that it was not generated
>> by a chatbot, "Partial" to indicate that parts were generated
>> by a chatbot, and "Edited" to indicate that parts were
>> generated by a chatbot, but then edited by me.
>
> Bollocks to that!

You are too kind.

> Indicate the source in the body of your posting!

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<l6q2m0Ff4hsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204280&group=alt.usage.english#204280

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 10:00:52 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 09:00 UTC

On 2024-03-30 08:49:27 +0000, Hibou said:

> Le 30/03/2024 à 08:46, Stefan Ram a écrit :
>> Hibou wrote or quoted:
>>>
>>> Indicate the source in the body of your posting!
>>
>> Hello there! I hope this message finds you doing well. I wanted
>> to take a moment to express my sincere gratitude for your
>> thoughtful suggestion. I really appreciate you taking the time
>> to share your ideas with me - it's feedback like yours that helps
>> me continue to improve and provide the best possible experience.
>>
>> Hidden Header
>>
>> I will definitely be considering your suggestion carefully.
>> In fact, I might even repeat the "hidden" header line in
>> the body of messages, just to make sure it stands out. I'm
>> always striving to be as helpful and informative as I can be,
>> so please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other
>> thoughts or questions. I'm here to assist in any way I can.
>>
>> I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day! Best regards!

> Killfile.

He was one of the first to be readmitted after I cleared out my
killfile completely.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<uuaros$1h4qn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204331&group=alt.usage.english#204331

From: larry@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 23:19:24 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 05:19 UTC

On 2024-03-29 17:01, Kyonshi wrote:
> Is there a term for someone between a friend and an acquaintance in
> English? We were just struggling to define someone who was definitely
> better acquainted than a mere acquaintance (my wife having known him for
> over 20 years), but still not as close as a friend would be (his wife
> being a close friend to my wife).

Is there a term for an integer between 1 and 2?

--
The following is only a sig.
The preceding is only a disclaimer.

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<uuarsr$1h4qn$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204332&group=alt.usage.english#204332

From: larry@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 23:21:31 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 05:21 UTC

On 2024-03-30 02:49, Hibou wrote:
> Le 30/03/2024 à 08:46, Stefan Ram a écrit :
>> Hibou wrote or quoted:
>>>
>>> Indicate the source in the body of your posting!
>>
>>    Hello there! I hope this message finds you doing well. I wanted
>>    to take a moment to express my sincere gratitude for your
>>    thoughtful suggestion. I really appreciate you taking the time
>>    to share your ideas with me - it's feedback like yours that helps
>>    me continue to improve and provide the best possible experience.
>>
>>    Hidden Header
>>
>>    I will definitely be considering your suggestion carefully.
>>    In fact, I might even repeat the "hidden" header line in
>>    the body of messages, just to make sure it stands out. I'm
>>    always striving to be as helpful and informative as I can be,
>>    so please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other
>>    thoughts or questions. I'm here to assist in any way I can.
>>
>>    I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day! Best regards!

> Killfile.

ditto.

--
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to
pause and reflect.

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<uuau6u$1hjg4$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204334&group=alt.usage.english#204334

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 07:01:02 +0100
 by: Hibou - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 06:01 UTC

Le 31/03/2024 à 06:19, lar3ryca a écrit :
> On 2024-03-29 17:01, Kyonshi wrote:
>> Is there a term for someone between a friend and an acquaintance in
>> English? We were just struggling to define someone who was definitely
>> better acquainted than a mere acquaintance (my wife having known him
>> for over 20 years), but still not as close as a friend would be (his
>> wife being a close friend to my wife).
>
> Is there a term for an integer between 1 and 2?

Nought that I know of.

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<uuav95$1i3mq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204336&group=alt.usage.english#204336

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 17:19:15 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 06:19 UTC

On 31/03/24 16:19, lar3ryca wrote:
> On 2024-03-29 17:01, Kyonshi wrote:
>> Is there a term for someone between a friend and an acquaintance in
>> English? We were just struggling to define someone who was definitely
>> better acquainted than a mere acquaintance (my wife having known him
>> for over 20 years), but still not as close as a friend would be (his
>> wife being a close friend to my wife).
>
> Is there a term for an integer between 1 and 2?

That's not a range. 2 is equal to 1, for sufficiently small values of 2.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<l6shpiFqeu9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204340&group=alt.usage.english#204340

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 09:30:57 +0200
 by: occam - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 07:30 UTC

On 31/03/2024 08:19, Peter Moylan wrote:
> 2 is equal to 1, for sufficiently small values of 2.

<smile> THAT is going into my database of timeless truisms </smile>

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<oKiON.21415$Lw2.18987@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204364&group=alt.usage.english#204364

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 20:22:59 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 19:22 UTC

On 31-Mar-24 6:19, lar3ryca wrote:
> On 2024-03-29 17:01, Kyonshi wrote:
>> Is there a term for someone between a friend and an acquaintance in
>> English? We were just struggling to define someone who was definitely
>> better acquainted than a mere acquaintance (my wife having known him
>> for over 20 years), but still not as close as a friend would be (his
>> wife being a close friend to my wife).
>
> Is there a term for an integer between 1 and 2?

I can't imagine such a number.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<cnej0jlvmp9abcuq021llbavib2dj4bnhm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204367&group=alt.usage.english#204367

From: rh@rudhar.com (Ruud Harmsen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 21:35:19 +0200
 by: Ruud Harmsen - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 19:35 UTC

Sun, 31 Mar 2024 20:22:59 +0100: Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> scribeva:

>On 31-Mar-24 6:19, lar3ryca wrote:
>> On 2024-03-29 17:01, Kyonshi wrote:
>>> Is there a term for someone between a friend and an acquaintance in
>>> English? We were just struggling to define someone who was definitely
>>> better acquainted than a mere acquaintance (my wife having known him
>>> for over 20 years), but still not as close as a friend would be (his
>>> wife being a close friend to my wife).
>>
>> Is there a term for an integer between 1 and 2?
>
>I can't imagine such a number.

That's just the joke.
--
Ruud Harmsen, https://rudhar.com

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<uucfrq$1vusi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204371&group=alt.usage.english#204371

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 22:08:26 +0200
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 20:08 UTC

Ruud Harmsen wrote:

>>> Is there a term for an integer between 1 and 2?
>>
>>I can't imagine such a number.
>
> That's just the joke.

I was going to write "Try not to be so square and negative", but then I
thought that it might be misunderstood.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<20240331211339.4bed3620f5834792107567e6@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204373&group=alt.usage.english#204373

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 21:13:39 +0100
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 20:13 UTC

On Sun, 31 Mar 2024 22:08:26 +0200
Bertel Lund Hansen <gadekryds@lundhansen.dk> wrote:

> >>I can't imagine such a number.
> >
> > That's just the joke.
>
> I was going to write "Try not to be so square and negative", but then I
> thought that it might be misunderstood.

Just relax - try some transcendental meditation.

Om.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<6mkj0jdn2vt056a03oj7vfh0maftf148pu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204381&group=alt.usage.english#204381

From: rh@rudhar.com (Ruud Harmsen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 23:17:00 +0200
 by: Ruud Harmsen - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 21:17 UTC

Sun, 31 Mar 2024 22:08:26 +0200: Bertel Lund Hansen
<gadekryds@lundhansen.dk> scribeva:

>>>I can't imagine such a number.
>>
>> That's just the joke.
>
>I was going to write "Try not to be so square and negative", but then I
>thought that it might be misunderstood.

Like.
--
Ruud Harmsen, https://rudhar.com

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance

<uucsf5$22noc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204393&group=alt.usage.english#204393

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 10:43:32 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 23:43 UTC

On 01/04/24 07:13, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Mar 2024 22:08:26 +0200 Bertel Lund Hansen
> <gadekryds@lundhansen.dk> wrote:

>>> That's just the joke.
>>
>> I was going to write "Try not to be so square and negative", but
>> then I thought that it might be misunderstood.
>>
> Just relax - try some transcendental meditation.
>
> Om.

There was a time, at the dentist's, when I tried to transcend dental
medication, but it wasn't pleasant. I prefer the injection.