You will be imprisoned for contributing your time and skill to a bank robbery.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correct

SubjectAuthor
* Anagrams with the first and last letters correctVladimir Putin
+* Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correctPeter Moylan
> [...]
| | |`* Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correctjerryfriedman
| | | `* Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correctTony Cooper
| | |  `- Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correctSnidely
| | +* Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correctKerr-Mudd, John
| | |`* Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correctJ. J. Lodder
| | | `- Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correctVladimir Putin
| | `- Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correctoccam
| `* Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correctjerryfriedman
|  +* Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correctBlueshirt
|  |+- Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correctcharles
|  |`- Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correctjerryfriedman
|  +- Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correctSam Plusnet
|  `- Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correctSnidely
`- Re: CAUTION!!! Birdbrain, the Abnormal Pathological Attention Whore, Strikes, AGPeeler

Pages:123
Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correct

<uuchf1$20am9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204376&group=alt.usage.english#204376

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correct
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 22:35:45 +0200
References: <op.2h6iudhe9r1bhh@ryzen.home> <up1kkl$337hm$1@dont-email.me> <l6njctF3nmuU1@mid.individual.net> <MPG.4070bee33d75907e989c20@news.individual.net> <tFSBzNKG4vBmFAv7@wolff.co.uk> <l6ofg0F7r1qU1@mid.individual.net> <Y8ENN.17842$lu2.9851@fx15.ams1> <Sep+FjMqs1BmFAIP@wolff.co.uk> <1qr874t.qbb4821dkj8rjN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl> <uu8tsa$vjki$1@dont-email.me> <1qr8h7z.4dpe4f1z0cw2gN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl> <sIiON.21414$Lw2.7441@fx11.ams1> <uucfej$1vsdg$1@dont-email.me> <75ab9dd4e19aa360459133fe429071ce@www.novabbs.com>
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 20:35 UTC

jerryfriedman wrote:

>> The article further says that they now want to try without explosives.
>> There are summer cottages nearby that may be damaged.
>
> Somebody needs to engineer concrete-eating bacteria.
>
> Uh, let me rethink that.

Well, it might improve many a city.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correct

<uucs54$22noc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204391&group=alt.usage.english#204391

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 10:38:09 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 23:38 UTC

On 01/04/24 07:01, Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:
> Sam Plusnet wrote:
>
>> Many years ago a friend placed a pipe bomb in a WWII bunker.
>> Standing some distance away, the ground shook and a letter-box
>> shaped sheet of yellow flame came from the front aperture, but the
>> pill box was quite unharmed. It wasn't a particularly large pipe
>> bomb.
>
> I just found an article from 2012 about Danish attempts to blow up
> the bunkers in 1968. The water-method was tried among other methods,
> but the pieces were too large to handle easily.
>
> I guess there was no will.
>
> The article further says that they now want to try without
> explosives. There are summer cottages nearby that may be damaged.

Newcastle's only wartime bunker is up on a hill, so there's no real will
to remove it. The last time I looked it was littered with cigarette
packets and used condoms.

We did find tank traps on one beach years ago, after a big storm washed
away a lot of sand.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correct

<op.2ljwfydo9r1bhh@ryzen.home>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204427&group=alt.usage.english#204427

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: russia@will.rule (Vladimir Putin)
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 14:15:24 +0100
 by: Vladimir Putin - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 13:15 UTC

On Sun, 31 Mar 2024 21:35:45 +0100, Bertel Lund Hansen <gadekryds@lundhansen.dk> wrote:

> jerryfriedman wrote:
>
>>> The article further says that they now want to try without explosives.
>>> There are summer cottages nearby that may be damaged.
>>
>> Somebody needs to engineer concrete-eating bacteria.
>>
>> Uh, let me rethink that.
>
> Well, it might improve many a city.

I don't understand photographers who take photos of a "skyline" and say it's pretty. Pretty is natural stuff like trees and mountains.

Re: Anagrams with the first and last letters correct

<VMNOMgWUD0CmFAgW@wolff.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204443&group=alt.usage.english#204443

From: bounceme@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk (Paul Wolff)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 00:18:44 +0100
 by: Paul Wolff - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 23:18 UTC

On Sat, 30 Mar 2024, at 10:54:57, J. J. Lodder posted:
>Paul Wolff <bounceme@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk> wrote:

>> >On the other hand, the architecture on the Channel islands tends more
>> >towards Germany than France.
>> >
>> Germany left a lot of reinforced concrete architecture on Alderney in
>> 1944, and it has proved quite (= very) impracticable to remove it.
>
>Just not taking the trouble, I guess.
>In the Netherlands all bunkers in or on the primary lni of dunes
>were removed already in the 60s.
>
>The easy howto is a nice physics execise btw.
>You might try to invent for yourself,
>it is not too difficult,

Not taking the trouble? If you can spare 20 minutes, take a brief tour
with Dan Snow on YouTube of the German architecture I was writing about.
Enjoy the wall rising behind Longy beach in the opening sequence,
commanded by the guns in the 'upgraded' Roman fort. Consider the
fortified observation tower at the end, known locally as "the Odeon"
because of its 1930s cinema look. There can be no easy howto on that
island. Bunkers in sand dunes seem trivial in comparison.

--
Paul W