From: HenHanna@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,sci.lang,alt.english.usage
Subject: (flake, flaky) -- Which came first, Fluff or Fluffy?
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 20:55:51 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 03:55 UTC

which came first, streak or streaky?
Which came first, Fluff or Fluffy?

In this case, "fluff" came first.

"Fluffy" is an adjective derived from the noun "fluff." Nouns typically
precede the development of adjectives based on them.

While we can't pinpoint the exact date "fluff" entered the English
language, evidence suggests its use well before any specific brand name
like "Marshmallow Fluff" (introduced in 1917). The Oxford English
Dictionary traces the word "fluff" back to the 1500s.

______________________________________(flake, flaky)

Nouns Precede Adjectives: Generally, nouns like "flake"
referring to a physical thing appear in the language before adjectives
derived from them, like "flaky."

Historical Evidence: While a definitive date is elusive, the
word "flake" has a longer documented history.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, "flake" can be traced back
to the late 14th century, while "flaky" appears later, around the
mid-17th century.

______________________________________

Re: What's the origin of the word flake, meaning crackpot?

Mark Brader wrote:

> "Micky":
>> What's the origin of the word flake, meaning crackpot? Or
something >> like that.

> The OED Online says it was a back-formation from "flaky", which

> "New York Times"-- It's an insider's word, used throughout baseball

so NYT thinks it's from MLB.... is [clutch] also from baseball?

[streaky] is somewhat like [flaky] -- is [streaky] also from
baseball?

which came first, streak or streaky?