From: arthurvarr@gmail.com (navi)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: better than good
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 20:33:27 +0000
 by: navi - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 20:33 UTC

1) The situation at my workplace is better than good. It is excellent.
2) The situation at my workplace is better than good. It is excellent.

3) He is more than tall. He is towering.
4) He is more than just tall. He is towering.

Should there be quotation marks around 'good' and 'tall'?

Gratefully,
Navi

Lost in the Twilight Zone of the English language
Interested in strange structures
Obsessed with ambiguity

Re: better than good

<8048af0297594653bcfd1c563d1ad66b@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204539&group=alt.usage.english#204539

From: dougstaples@gmx.com (LionelEdwards)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: better than good
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 20:39:54 +0000
 by: LionelEdwards - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 20:39 UTC

navi wrote:

> 1) The situation at my workplace is better than good. It is excellent.
> 2) The situation at my workplace is better than good. It is excellent.

It is difficult to tell which is good and which is better :)

> 3) He is more than tall. He is towering.
> 4) He is more than just tall. He is towering.

> Should there be quotation marks around 'good' and 'tall'?

It wouldn't do any harm.

> Gratefully,
> Navi

> Lost in the Twilight Zone of the English language
> Interested in strange structures
> Obsessed with ambiguity

Re: better than good

<quotation-20240403214146@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204540&group=alt.usage.english#204540

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 3 Apr 2024 20:44:53 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 20:44 UTC

arthurvarr@gmail.com (navi) wrote or quoted:
>1) The situation at my workplace is better than good. It is excellent.
>2) The situation at my workplace is better than good. It is excellent.
>3) He is more than tall. He is towering.
>4) He is more than just tall. He is towering.
>Should there be quotation marks around 'good' and 'tall'?

Nah, none of the usual reasons for using quotation marks
apply here. The word is being used in one of its standard
meanings, not being quoted.

Re: better than good

<Phrases-20240404102239@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204586&group=alt.usage.english#204586

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 4 Apr 2024 09:24:07 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 09:24 UTC

ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote or quoted:
>arthurvarr@gmail.com (navi) wrote or quoted:
>>1) The situation at my workplace is better than good. It is excellent.
>>2) The situation at my workplace is better than good. It is excellent.
>>3) He is more than tall. He is towering.
>>4) He is more than just tall. He is towering.
>>Should there be quotation marks around 'good' and 'tall'?
>Nah, none of the usual reasons for using quotation marks
>apply here. The word is being used in one of its standard
>meanings, not being quoted.

Phrases with "more than just" in front of an adjective?
You hear people say that kind of thing out loud all the time!
But it's not as common to see it written down, you know?
It's more of a spoken thing. Still, you do see the "more than"
construction without the "just" sometimes in writing, like
"whiter than white" or "I'll be more than happy to . . .".

Re: better than good

<uulv1d$j97q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204588&group=alt.usage.english#204588

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 11:22:34 +0100
 by: Hibou - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 10:22 UTC

Le 03/04/2024 à 21:33, navi a écrit :

> 1) The situation at my workplace is better than good. It is excellent.
> 2) The situation at my workplace is better than good. It is excellent.
>
> 3) He is more than tall. He is towering.
> 4) He is more than just tall. He is towering.
>
> Should there be quotation marks around 'good' and 'tall'?

I don't think they're needed.

Re: better than good

<l77j5pFgdnuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204603&group=alt.usage.english#204603

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 14:02:08 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 12:02 UTC

On 2024-04-04 10:22:34 +0000, Hibou said:

> Le 03/04/2024 à 21:33, navi a écrit :
>>
>> 1) The situation at my workplace is better than good. It is excellent.
>> 2) The situation at my workplace is better than good. It is excellent.
>>
>> 3) He is more than tall. He is towering.
>> 4) He is more than just tall. He is towering.
>>
>> Should there be quotation marks around 'good' and 'tall'?
>
> I don't think they're needed.

I agree, but they don't do any harm.

As another point, I would never use "towering" in the predicate. "A
towering man" is OK, "the man is towering" isn't.

I woukdn't use "situation" either unless there was no more precise way
to say it. See what Clive James had to say:

https://f2.org/humour/quotes/nonfic/clive-james.html

Do a search for "situation" and you'll find it.

Incidentally, what's the difference between 1 and 2? They look exactly
the same on my screen.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: better than good

<pan$67f81$c7637158$4e179d7f$a765e6fd@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204617&group=alt.usage.english#204617

From: wibbleypants@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 4 Apr 2024 13:56:44 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 13:56 UTC

El Thu, 04 Apr 2024 14:02:08 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden escribió:

> As another point, I would never use "towering" in the predicate. "A
> towering man" is OK, "the man is towering" isn't.

Why did the English participle inherit the same ending as the adjective/
gerund?

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es