From: HenHanna@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: What's the origin of the word flake, meaning crackpot
?
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 23:36:20 +0000
 by: HenHanna - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 23:36 UTC

_________________________

> The OED Online says it was a back-formation from "flaky", which

> "New York Times"-- It's an insider's word, used throughout baseball

so NYT thinks it's from MLB.... is [clutch] also from baseball?

[streaky] is somewhat like [flaky] -- is [streaky] also from baseball?

which came first, streak or streaky?

Re: What's the origin of the word flake, meaning crackpot?

<70849abfca1e41aead5e03fed51f1a0b@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204553&group=alt.usage.english#204553

From: bebercito@aol.com (Bebercito)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
?
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 23:17:44 +0000
 by: Bebercito - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 23:17 UTC

HenHanna wrote:

> Mark Brader wrote:

>> "Micky":
>>> What's the origin of the word flake, meaning crackpot? Or something
>>> like that.

>> The OED Online says it was a back-formation from "flaky", which
>> makes sense to me -- a flaky person might do suddenly something odd,
>> just as a flaky pastry or mineral might suddenly come apart.

>> They define a "flaky" person as one "liable to act in an odd
>> or eccentric manner (as though exhausted or under the influence
>> of drink or drugs); crazy, 'screwball'; feeble-minded, stupid".
>> The earliest cited use it from 1964, when the "New York Times" wrote:

>> | The term 'flake' needs explanation. It's an insider's word, used
>> | throughout baseball, usually as an adjective; someone is considered
>> | 'flaky'. It does not mean anything so crude as 'crazy', but it's
>> | well beyond 'screwball' and far off to the side of 'eccentric'.

>> Although the above citation also uses the noun "flake", the entry for
>> "flake" itself does not repeat it; the earliest cite there is from
>> "Time" magazine in 1968:

>> | He has a well-deserved reputation as something of a flake.
>> | During an exhibition ski jump in Switzerland, Jean-Claude shocked
>> | spectators by dropping his trousers in mid-air.

> > I presume the "Jean-Claude" there would be Killy.

Prolly. A snowflake then, so to speak.

> _________________________

>> The OED Online says it was a back-formation from "flaky", which

>> "New York Times"-- It's an insider's word, used throughout baseball

> so NYT thinks it's from MLB.... is [clutch] also from baseball?

> [streaky] is somewhat like [flaky] -- is [streaky] also from baseball?

> which came first, streak or streaky?

Re: What's the origin of the word flake, meaning crackpot?

<ffdb105b9ae462428f30fa738dc6e935@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204635&group=alt.usage.english#204635

From: jerry.friedman99@gmail.com (jerryfriedman)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
?
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 18:35:54 +0000
 by: jerryfriedman - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 18:35 UTC

Bebercito wrote:

> HenHanna wrote:

>>> Although the above citation also uses the noun "flake", the entry for
>>> "flake" itself does not repeat it; the earliest cite there is from
>>> "Time" magazine in 1968:

>> > I presume the "Jean-Claude" there would be Killy.

> Prolly. A snowflake then, so to speak.

That was a good one.

--
Jerry Friedman