From: arthurvarr@gmail.com (navi)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: river/the river
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 03:12:17 +0000
 by: navi - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 03:12 UTC

1) I'm reading an article on the image of moon in Renaissance painting.
2) I'm reading an article on the image of the moon in Renaissance painting.

3) I'm reading an article on the image of river in Renaissance painting.
4) I'm reading an article on the image of the river in Renaissance painting.

Which are grammatical and meaningful?

If in either one of the two pairs, both sentences are correct, does the presence of 'the' change the meaning in any way?

Gratefully,
Navi

Lost in the Twilight Zone of the English language
Obsessed with ambiguity
Interested in strange structures

Re: river/the river

<the-20240405042918@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204660&group=alt.usage.english#204660

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: river/the river
Date: 5 Apr 2024 03:30:11 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 03:30 UTC

arthurvarr@gmail.com (navi) wrote or quoted:
>1) I'm reading an article on the image of moon in Renaissance painting.
>2) I'm reading an article on the image of the moon in Renaissance painting.
>3) I'm reading an article on the image of river in Renaissance painting.
>4) I'm reading an article on the image of the river in Renaissance painting.

Those sentences without "the" just ain't grammatically correct,
ya see. They're missin' that definite article in front of
"moon" and "river". Now, when you're talkin' 'bout specific
things, you gotta use "the" there.

But if you're talkin' 'bout the general concept of moons or
rivers, then you'd wanna use the plural - "moons" or "rivers".
That'd be the proper way to say it, don'tcha know.

Yep, gotta make sure you got your articles and plurals straight,
or it just don't sound right. Us old-timers, we learned that
stuff back in the day, and it's stuck with us. Ain't no use
tryin' to cut corners with the grammar, that's for sure!

Re: river/the river

<1460c71dd86678079d68e3fb5535b444@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204710&group=alt.usage.english#204710

From: jerry.friedman99@gmail.com (jerryfriedman)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 14:49:27 +0000
 by: jerryfriedman - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 14:49 UTC

navi wrote:

> 1) I'm reading an article on the image of moon in Renaissance painting.
> 2) I'm reading an article on the image of the moon in Renaissance painting.

> 3) I'm reading an article on the image of river in Renaissance painting.
> 4) I'm reading an article on the image of the river in Renaissance painting.

> Which are grammatical and meaningful?

2 and 4. You could get away with "the moon image" and "the river image".

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: river/the river

<jOXPN.84121$au2.64226@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=204722&group=alt.usage.english#204722

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 19:55:11 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 18:55 UTC

On 05-Apr-24 15:49, jerryfriedman wrote:
> navi wrote:
>
>> 1) I'm reading an article on the image of moon in Renaissance painting.
>> 2) I'm reading an article on the image of the moon in Renaissance
>> painting.
>
>> 3) I'm reading an article on the image of river in Renaissance painting.
>> 4) I'm reading an article on the image of the river in Renaissance
>> painting.
>
>> Which are grammatical and meaningful?
> ..
>
> 2 and 4.  You could get away with "the moon image" and "the river image".

Whilst (from a Renaissance point of view) there is only one moon, there
are lots of rivers.
4) needs to specify a river, or use the plural form.

--
Sam Plusnet