From: HenHanna@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english,rec.puzzles
Subject: Nabokov (VN) and [Laughter in the Dark]
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 02:57:09 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 09:57 UTC

i've been a VN fan for a long time.

i've had some interaction with DN (VN's son).

i am related to the Hero of the novel [Lolita]. HH

Laughter in the Dark
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 02:36

When I were not much more than a lad I read Laughter in the Dark, which
I liked a lot better than Lolita. Something I was very struck by was
the opening sentence, which summarizes the plot:

"Once upon a time there lived in Berlin, Germany, a man called Albinus.
He was rich, respectable, happy; one day he abandoned his wife for the
sake of a youthful mistress; he loved; was not loved; and his life
ended in disaster."

The rest of the book just fills in the details.

I'm not sure I can argue that this has anything to do with English
usage, but sobeit. I don't suppose I'm the only person here to be fond
of Nabokov, who had strong views about English usage.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.