From: HenHanna@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,sci.lang,alt.english.usage
Subject: modals -- (I threatened to sue him to make him quieter at night.)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 03:51:02 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 10:51 UTC

(maybe the boy is a drummer)

They all sound awkward because [so that] is too formal.

I threatened to sue him to stop him from making noise at night.

I threatened to sue him, hoping that'd make him quieter at night.
I threatened to sue him, hoping that might make him quieter at night.

Re: modals
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
by: Hibou - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 22:48

Le 09/04/2024 à 21:48, navi a écrit :

> 1) I threatened him with a lawsuit so that he may stop making noise.
> 2) I threatened him with a lawsuit so that he might stop making noise.
> 3) I threatened him with a lawsuit so that he should stop making noise.
>
> Are all of the above grammatical and do they mean the same?
>
> 4) Threaten him with a lawsuit so that he will stop making noise.
> 5) Threaten him with a lawsuit so that he shall stop making noise.
> 6) Threaten him with a lawsuit so that he would stop making noise.
> 7) Threaten him with a lawsuit so that he should stop making noise.
> 8) Threaten him with a lawsuit so that he may stop making noise.
> 9) Threaten him with a lawsuit so that he might stop making noise.
>
> Are all of the above grammatical and do they mean the same?

I don't like any of them. The endings seem wordy and cumbersome to me,
even if changed to read "making /a/ noise".

I threatened to sue him in order to shut him up.

Simples!

_____________________________ is it [making a noise] in Brit.English?

They say [go to hospital] in the UK

[making noise] is fine in Am.English -- any diff. in Brit.English?