A man's house is his castle. -- Sir Edward Coke

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,

SubjectAuthor
* (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,HenHanna
`* Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,Aidan Kehoe
 +* Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,Peter Moylan
 |`* Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,Athel Cornish-Bowden
 | `- Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,Peter Moylan
 `* Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,occam
  `* Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,Athel Cornish-Bowden
   `* Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,J. J. Lodder
    `* Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,Paul Wolff
     `* Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,Phil
      `- Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,charles

1
(real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,

<uva6i6$24g03$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205126&group=alt.usage.english#205126

From: HenHanna@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles,alt.usage.english,sci.lang
Subject: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 19:33:42 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 02:33 UTC

in a movie, a guy is on the phone, and the person (on the other end)
(often a woman) hangs up

I've always felt that this happens 100+ times more
often in movies than in real life...

THEN the guy goes ...

--------- Hello? Hello? Susan? Are you there?
----------------- Did you just hang up on me?

I've always felt that this happens 1000+ times more
often in movies than in real life....

in Older movies, the guy does that [momentary Hang-up] thing.
---------- In older times, this didn't hang up?

Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,

<87ttk7othh.fsf@parhasard.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205137&group=alt.usage.english#205137

From: kehoea@parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles,alt.usage.english,sci.lang
Subject: Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 09:50:02 +0100
 by: Aidan Kehoe - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 08:50 UTC

Ar an t-aonú lá déag de mí Aibreán, scríobh HenHanna:

> in a movie, a guy is on the phone, and the person (on the other end)
> (often a woman) hangs up
>
> I've always felt that this happens 100+ times more
> often in movies than in real life...
>
> THEN the guy goes ...
>
> --------- Hello? Hello? Susan? Are you there?
> ----------------- Did you just hang up on me?
>
> I've always felt that this happens 1000+ times more
> often in movies than in real life....

Sure. There is a long list of things that for various reasons happen much more
often in televised and film drama. Over-explication, the US winning and
achieving things completely ahistorically (see the recent Queen’s Gambit
Netflix series for this; see also a film about twenty years ago regarding the
Enigma codebreakers.) Movies are not particularly representative of real life.

> in Older movies, the guy does that [momentary Hang-up] thing.
> ---------- In older times, this didn't hang up?

No idea, I’m a spring chicken at 43.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’

Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,

<uvb31g$2ad7u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205142&group=alt.usage.english#205142

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles,alt.usage.english,sci.lang
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 20:39:41 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 10:39 UTC

> Ar an t-aonú lá déag de mí Aibreán, scríobh HenHanna:
>
>> in a movie, a guy is on the phone, and the person (on the other
>> end) (often a woman) hangs up
>>
>> I've always felt that this happens 100+ times more often in movies
>> than in real life...

Modern life has introduced a new factor. I hang up on about half a dozen
calls per day, as soon as I hear the beep that indicates that it's a
call centre. In case of doubt I wait a few seconds, and then hang up as
soon as I hear "How are you today?"

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,

<l7sigmFlf21U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205146&group=alt.usage.english#205146

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles,alt.usage.english,sci.lang
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 12:59:34 +0200
 by: occam - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 10:59 UTC

On 12/04/2024 10:50, Aidan Kehoe wrote:

<snip>

> Sure. There is a long list of things that for various reasons happen much more
> often in televised and film drama. Over-explication, the US winning and
> achieving things completely ahistorically (see the recent Queen’s Gambit
> Netflix series for this; see also a film about twenty years ago regarding the
> Enigma codebreakers.) Movies are not particularly representative of real life.

Especially when made by Hollywood. I'm waiting for the film where US
won the war in Korea, Vietnam and Afghanistan. (Allow for 20 years for
the memory to fade.)

> in a movie, a guy is on the phone, and the person (on the other end)
> (often a woman) hangs up I've always felt that this happens 100+
> times more often in movies than in real life...

Don't forget, in the movie the man also looks at the handset after the
hang-up, and sneers.

There is a brilliant Netflix documentary where all these movie clichés
are documented. One that sticks in mind: "Why do women always run away
from danger in high-heels"?

Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,

<l7t67gFobphU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205161&group=alt.usage.english#205161

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 18:36:14 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 16:36 UTC

On 2024-04-12 10:39:41 +0000, Peter Moylan said:

>> Ar an t-aonú lá déag de mí Aibreán, scríobh HenHanna:
>>
>>> in a movie, a guy is on the phone, and the person (on the other
>>> end) (often a woman) hangs up
>>>
>>> I've always felt that this happens 100+ times more often in movies
>>> than in real life...
>
> Modern life has introduced a new factor. I hang up on about half a dozen
> calls per day, as soon as I hear the beep that indicates that it's a
> call centre. In case of doubt I wait a few seconds, and then hang up as
> soon as I hear "How are you today?"

We don't get many telephone calls like that. However, I get lots of
similar emails, such as (today) "Hello acornish / We hope everthing is
okay with you, / please find payment copy attached below / Thanks /
paul"

Another I had today (all in Spanish) was from RAYMOND LAW FIRM
BARRISTER & SOLICITOR, 105 New Bridge Street, London EC4V 6JA,UK, with
a British telephone number +44 ..., telling me that I had won £
1,550,225.85 and hadn't collected it yet. A tidy sum, but I don't think
I'll claim it.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,

<l7t7lnFoi6nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205162&group=alt.usage.english#205162

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 19:00:53 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 17:00 UTC

On 2024-04-12 10:59:34 +0000, occam said:

> On 12/04/2024 10:50, Aidan Kehoe wrote:
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> Sure. There is a long list of things that for various reasons happen much more
>> often in televised and film drama. Over-explication, the US winning and
>> achieving things completely ahistorically (see the recent Queen’s Gambit
>> Netflix series for this; see also a film about twenty years ago regarding the
>> Enigma codebreakers.) Movies are not particularly representative of real life.
>
> Especially when made by Hollywood. I'm waiting for the film where US
> won the war in Korea, Vietnam and Afghanistan. (Allow for 20 years for
> the memory to fade.)

Plenty of ones already about how they won the Second World War all by
themselves, for example the Normandy Landings (most recently Saving
Soldier Ryan), when the Canadian and British troops just sat on their
bums.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,

<1qrxb4w.ssg1w2snjdlsN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205172&group=alt.usage.english#205172

From: nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 22:49:02 +0200
 by: J. J. Lodder - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 20:49 UTC

Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2024-04-12 10:59:34 +0000, occam said:
>
> > On 12/04/2024 10:50, Aidan Kehoe wrote:
> >>
> > <snip>
> >>
> >> Sure. There is a long list of things that for various reasons happen
> >> much more often in televised and film drama. Over-explication, the US
> >> winning and achieving things completely ahistorically (see the recent
> >> Queen's Gambit Netflix series for this; see also a film about twenty
> >> years ago regarding the Enigma codebreakers.) Movies are not
> >> particularly representative of real life.
> >
> > Especially when made by Hollywood. I'm waiting for the film where US
> > won the war in Korea, Vietnam and Afghanistan. (Allow for 20 years for
> > the memory to fade.)
>
> Plenty of ones already about how they won the Second World War all by
> themselves, for example the Normandy Landings (most recently Saving
> Soldier Ryan), when the Canadian and British troops just sat on their
> bums.

The Brits OTOH make movies about Dunkirk...

Jan

Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,

<8ysoq9CfNbGmFA39@wolff.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205181&group=alt.usage.english#205181

From: bounceme@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk (Paul Wolff)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 23:19:11 +0100
 by: Paul Wolff - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 22:19 UTC

On Fri, 12 Apr 2024, at 22:49:02, J. J. Lodder posted:
>Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2024-04-12 10:59:34 +0000, occam said:
>>
>> > On 12/04/2024 10:50, Aidan Kehoe wrote:
>> >>
>> > <snip>

>> > Especially when made by Hollywood. I'm waiting for the film where US
>> > won the war in Korea, Vietnam and Afghanistan. (Allow for 20 years for
>> > the memory to fade.)
>>
>> Plenty of ones already about how they won the Second World War all by
>> themselves, for example the Normandy Landings (most recently Saving
>> Soldier Ryan), when the Canadian and British troops just sat on their
>> bums.
>
>The Brits OTOH make movies about Dunkirk...

And in a similar vein, Operation Market Garden too. "A Bridge Too Far".
--
Paul W

Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,

<uvcjf3$2kpo1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205188&group=alt.usage.english#205188

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 10:26:08 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 00:26 UTC

On 13/04/24 02:36, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2024-04-12 10:39:41 +0000, Peter Moylan said:
>

>>> Ar an t-aonú lá déag de mí Aibreán, scríobh HenHanna:

>> Modern life has introduced a new factor. I hang up on about half a
>> dozen calls per day, as soon as I hear the beep that indicates
>> that it's a call centre. In case of doubt I wait a few seconds, and
>> then hang up as soon as I hear "How are you today?"
>
> We don't get many telephone calls like that. However, I get lots of
> similar emails, such as (today) "Hello acornish / We hope everthing
> is okay with you, / please find payment copy attached below / Thanks
> / paul"
>
> Another I had today (all in Spanish) was from RAYMOND LAW FIRM
> BARRISTER & SOLICITOR, 105 New Bridge Street, London EC4V 6JA,UK,
> with a British telephone number +44 ..., telling me that I had won £
> 1,550,225.85 and hadn't collected it yet. A tidy sum, but I don't
> think I'll claim it.

I don't get many of those these days, which probably means that the
anti-spam measures in my mail server are working. One category does get
through: many messages from postmaster@pmoylan.org telling me that my
mail account is about to be closed down. I'm tempted to reply "You're
not the postmaster of my mail domain, I am", but it would be useless.

A relatively new phenomenon, for me, is SMS scams. These often arrive in
the middle of the night, suggesting that the senders don't understand
Australian time zones. So far there are just three kinds:
- messages from Westpac bank about an irregularity in my account. These
can be ignored because I don't have an account with Westpac;
- something about a failure of a payment into my e-Toll account (road
and bridge tolls). I was almost fooled by that one, but luckily I
followed the link only a week later, by which time the web site was all
in Chinese.
- "your parcel delivery has failed because of an addressing error".

Someone like me can see that the URLs in the message aren't Australian
addresses (although they do tend to finish with /au). The average phone
user, though, doesn't notice that detail, and can be easily trapped.

One more factor: e-mail scams are often noticeable for their bad
English, but an SMS is usually so short that the bad English doesn't
show up.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,

<uvdm5l$2uhv4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205224&group=alt.usage.english#205224

From: phil@anonymous.invalid (Phil)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 11:18:28 +0100
 by: Phil - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 10:18 UTC

On 12/04/2024 23:19, Paul Wolff wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2024, at 22:49:02, J. J. Lodder posted:

>>> Plenty of ones already about how they won the Second World War all by
>>> themselves, for example the Normandy Landings (most recently Saving
>>> Soldier Ryan), when the Canadian and British troops just sat on their
>>> bums.
>>
>> The Brits OTOH make movies about Dunkirk...
>>
> And in a similar vein, Operation Market Garden too. "A Bridge Too Far".

"A Bridge Too Far" did have some heroic USAans in it, and some Poles. It
was also distinguished by the having the Germans speak German and the
Dutch speak Dutch, rather than everybody speaking English with funny
accents.

For a truly Brit-centric version of Market Garden, you need "Theirs is
the Glory". Although even that features a Canadian, Stanley Maxted, who
was the CBC correspondent embedded with British troops in the real
Market Garden.

--
Phil B

Re: (real-Life Puzzle) -- in a movie, a guy is on the phone,

<5b50e79f64charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205227&group=alt.usage.english#205227

From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 24 10:45:03 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
 by: charles - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 10:45 UTC

In article <uvdm5l$2uhv4$2@dont-email.me>, Phil <phil@anonymous.invalid>
wrote:
> On 12/04/2024 23:19, Paul Wolff wrote:

> >> The Brits OTOH make movies about Dunkirk...
> >>
> > And in a similar vein, Operation Market Garden too. "A Bridge Too Far".

> "A Bridge Too Far" did have some heroic USAans in it, and some Poles. It
> was also distinguished by the having the Germans speak German and the
> Dutch speak Dutch, rather than everybody speaking English with funny
> accents.

> For a truly Brit-centric version of Market Garden, you need "Theirs is
> the Glory". Although even that features a Canadian, Stanley Maxted, who
> was the CBC correspondent embedded with British troops in the real
> Market Garden.

In real life, my dentist, in Edinburgh 1950s, was an MO there.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²