From: HenHanna@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Subject: PTD was the most-respected of the AUE regulars ...
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 11:33:18 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 18:33 UTC

so it seems PTD wasn't a big fish (Trump) elsewhere.

> The BIG FISH comment reminds me of a Master's thesis, I forget where,
> that analysed roles of people in newsgroups. It caused great amusement
> here (AUE) because it so badly miscategorised the roles of the
> regulars. In
> particular, it concluded that PTD was the most-respected of the AUE
> regulars, because of the many responses to him. It's true that he did
> start the most arguments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_T._Daniels

i thought that this page (for a long time) said that
PTD was among the most respected of the regulars of AUE, where
he is seen as the unofficial moderator.

-------- but i can't find that now.

_____________________________________

> ........ He was a bit of a
> misfit in AUE because he got into so many disputes, usually because of
> an inability to admit when he was wrong.

>>> And his astonishing ability to be wrong or misleading so often on
so many topics. Eventually a lot of people, including me, stopped
correcting him. <<<

---------- What was he famously WRONG about ?

Re: PTD was the most-respected of the AUE regulars ...

<uvejgl$34ueu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205280&group=alt.usage.english#205280

From: HenHanna@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: PTD was the most-respected of the AUE regulars ...
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 11:39:17 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 18:39 UTC

On 4/13/2024 11:33 AM, HenHanna wrote:

> so it seems PTD wasn't a big fish (Trump) elsewhere.
>

> > The BIG FISH comment reminds me of a Master's thesis, I forget where,
> > that analysed roles of people in newsgroups. It caused great amusement
> > here (AUE) because it so badly miscategorised the roles of the
> > regulars. In
> > particular, it concluded that PTD was the most-respected of the AUE
> > regulars, because of the many responses to him. It's true that he did
> > start the most arguments.
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_T._Daniels
>
> i thought that this page (for a long time) said that
> PTD was among the most respected of the regulars of AUE, where
> he is seen as the unofficial moderator.
>
>                                 -------- but i can't find that now.

> > ........  He was a bit of a
> > misfit in AUE because he got into so many disputes, usually because of
> > an inability to admit when he was wrong.

> so many topics.  Eventually a lot of people, including me, stopped
> correcting him. <<<
>

>             ---------- What was he famously  WRONG  about ?

how odd... from TB(ES), this is the only 1 i can see.

from NovaBBS, i can see 3 almost-identical posts (by me).