From: arthurvarr@gmail.com (navi)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: well/good
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 04:05:47 +0000
 by: navi - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 04:05 UTC

1) The new mayor did good to help poor families have access to medical care.
2) The new mayor did well to help poor families have access to medical care.

3) The new mayor did good in helping poor families have access to medical care.
4) The new mayor did well in helping poor families have access to medical care.

Which are grammatical?

Which mean:
a) The new mayor did a good thing by helping poor families have access to medical care. (the act was good)
and which mean:
b) The new mayor performed well in helping poor families have access to medical care. (the manner was good)

--
Gratefully,
Navi

Lost in the Twilight Zone of the English language
Obsessed with ambiguity
Interested in strange structures

Re: well/good

<ae9cd4406d25949df315f3d95534b68f@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205379&group=alt.usage.english#205379

From: dougstaples@gmx.com (LionelEdwards)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: well/good
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 08:56:55 +0000
 by: LionelEdwards - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 08:56 UTC

navi wrote:

> 1) The new mayor did good to help poor families have access to medical care.
> 2) The new mayor did well to help poor families have access to medical care.

> 3) The new mayor did good in helping poor families have access to medical care.
> 4) The new mayor did well in helping poor families have access to medical care.

> Which are grammatical?

> Which mean:
> a) The new mayor did a good thing by helping poor families have access to medical care. (the act was good)
> and which mean:
> b) The new mayor performed well in helping poor families have access to medical care. (the manner was good)

I don't see how you can distinguish an "act" from the manner in which
it was acted?

I suppose (2), (3) and (4) are grammatical. (1) isn't although you might
get away with it on the Clapham Omnibus.