Death is Nature's way of recycling human beings.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: for you to wear

SubjectAuthor
* for you to wearnavi
+* Re: for you to wearStefan Ram
|+* Re: for you to wearPhil
||+- Re: for you to wearStefan Ram
||+- Re: for you to wearJoerg Walther
||+- Re: for you to wearPeter Moylan
||`* Re: for you to wearMadhu
|| `- Re: for you to wearnavi
|`* Re: for you to wearJanet
| `* Re: for you to wearPeter Moylan
|  +- Re: for you to wearJ. J. Lodder
|  `- Re: for you to wearlar3ryca
`- Re: for you to wearMarius_Hancu

1
for you to wear

<87e875478bc065938d8336e75df2b141@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205298&group=alt.usage.english#205298

From: arthurvarr@gmail.com (navi)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: for you to wear
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 21:13:01 +0000
 by: navi - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 21:13 UTC

1) It's not part of the game that you wear a disguise, but there are no rules against it either.
2) It's not part of the game for you to wear a disguise, but there are no rules against it either.
3) It's not part of the game to wear a disguise, but there are no rules against it either.

Which are grammatical?

==
Gratefully,
Navi

Lost in the Twilight Zone of the English language
Interested in strange structures on the margins of grammaticality
Obsessed with ambiguity

Re: for you to wear

<sentences-20240414102957@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205327&group=alt.usage.english#205327

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: for you to wear
Date: 14 Apr 2024 09:31:53 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:31 UTC

arthurvarr@gmail.com (navi) wrote or quoted:
>1) It's not part of the game that you wear a disguise, but
>there are no rules against it either.
>2) It's not part of the game for you to wear a disguise, but
>there are no rules against it either.
>3) It's not part of the game to wear a disguise, but there
>are no rules against it either.
>Which are grammatical?

Well now, let me take a gander at these here sentences and see what
I can make of 'em. Yessir, all three of 'em are as grammatically
proper as a debutante at a cotillion, that's for darn tootin'.

Now the first one, that's got a real down-to-earth, good ol'
American flair to it, don't it? Sounds like somethin' your
average Joe on Main Street might say, y'know? Kinda has that
"anything goes" kind of vibe to it, if you catch my drift.

As for the second one, well that's got a mite more of a stiff upper
lip to it, don't it? Sounds like it came straight outta the Queen's
own mouth, if you ask me. That "for you to" bit, why that'd have most
red-blooded Americans scratching their heads and sayin' "come again?"

But the third one, now that's the real McCoy, ain't it?
Straight-laced, by-the-book, no-nonsense kinda talk. Sounds
like it came straight outta the mouth of some high-falutin'
professor emeritus, the kind that's got more degrees than a
thermometer. Yep, that's the one that's got the most starch in
its collar, no doubt about it.

So there you have it, my young whippersnapper. A regular linguistic
smorgasbord, if I do say so myself. Now if you'll excuse me,
I think I'm gonna go take a load off and have myself a cup of tea.

Re: for you to wear

<uvgai4$3j5gn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205330&group=alt.usage.english#205330

From: phil@anonymous.invalid (Phil)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 11:18:44 +0100
 by: Phil - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 10:18 UTC

On 14/04/2024 10:31, Stefan Ram wrote:
> arthurvarr@gmail.com (navi) wrote or quoted:
>> 1) It's not part of the game that you wear a disguise, but
>> there are no rules against it either.
>> 2) It's not part of the game for you to wear a disguise, but
>> there are no rules against it either.
>> 3) It's not part of the game to wear a disguise, but there
>> are no rules against it either.
>> Which are grammatical?
>
> Well now, let me take a gander at these here sentences and see what
> I can make of 'em. Yessir, all three of 'em are as grammatically
> proper as a debutante at a cotillion, that's for darn tootin'.
>
> Now the first one, that's got a real down-to-earth, good ol'
> American flair to it, don't it? Sounds like somethin' your
> average Joe on Main Street might say, y'know? Kinda has that
> "anything goes" kind of vibe to it, if you catch my drift.
>
> As for the second one, well that's got a mite more of a stiff upper
> lip to it, don't it? Sounds like it came straight outta the Queen's
> own mouth, if you ask me. That "for you to" bit, why that'd have most
> red-blooded Americans scratching their heads and sayin' "come again?"
>
> But the third one, now that's the real McCoy, ain't it?
> Straight-laced, by-the-book, no-nonsense kinda talk. Sounds
> like it came straight outta the mouth of some high-falutin'
> professor emeritus, the kind that's got more degrees than a
> thermometer. Yep, that's the one that's got the most starch in
> its collar, no doubt about it.
>
> So there you have it, my young whippersnapper. A regular linguistic
> smorgasbord, if I do say so myself. Now if you'll excuse me,
> I think I'm gonna go take a load off and have myself a cup of tea.

Have you recently had a stroke?

--
Phil B

Re: for you to wear

<route-20240414112817@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205331&group=alt.usage.english#205331

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 14 Apr 2024 10:29:19 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 10:29 UTC

Phil <phil@anonymous.invalid> wrote or quoted:
>Have you recently had a stroke?

I'm just takin' the scenic route with my words, that's all.
Gotta make sure y'all can keep up with this here quick-witted
mind o' mine!

(Though I gotta admit, the way my tongue's been flappin' around
might make a fella think I done had a little run-in with a live
wire or two. But hey, keeps things interestin', don't it?)

Re: for you to wear

<t8cn1j5atidt5i4uj7f12k6os4jv70q61v@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205333&group=alt.usage.english#205333

From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 12:34:47 +0200
 by: Joerg Walther - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 10:34 UTC

Phil wrote:

>Have you recently had a stroke?

:)
Actually it sounds as if he uses ChatGPT to generate these kinds of
texts.

-jw-

Re: for you to wear

<uvgbi3$3je3s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205334&group=alt.usage.english#205334

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:35:43 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 10:35 UTC

On 14/04/24 20:18, Phil wrote:
> On 14/04/2024 10:31, Stefan Ram wrote:

>> Now the first one, that's got a real down-to-earth, good ol'
>> American flair to it, don't it? Sounds like somethin' your
>> average Joe on Main Street might say, y'know? Kinda has that
>> "anything goes" kind of vibe to it, if you catch my drift.

> Have you recently had a stroke?

I think it's more that he has trained his AI on the very worst of the
pulp magazine era.

I don't think I've ever killfiled an AI before.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: for you to wear

<MPG.4085d878a5b1d56a989c3f@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205339&group=alt.usage.english#205339

From: nobody@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 13:12:15 +0100
 by: Janet - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 12:12 UTC

In article <sentences-20240414102957@ram.dialup.fu-
berlin.de>, ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de says...

> I think I'm gonna go take a load off and have myself a cup of tea.

Culture fail.

As a goode ole boy you should be drinking cawffy, or
mountain dew.

Janet

Re: for you to wear

<m3o7acnne0.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205340&group=alt.usage.english#205340

From: enometh@meer.net (Madhu)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 17:53:51 +0530
sha1:jW8UJa9+OVBH9hi6lleV+lwkoZ8=
 by: Madhu - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 12:23 UTC

* Phil <uvgai4$3j5gn$1@dont-email.me> :
Wrote on Sun, 14 Apr 2024 11:18:44 +0100:
> Have you recently had a stroke?

I thought I saw a post (in quotations) where S.Ram was introducing
message headers to identify if the content had been generated by spit A
spit I. But these posts don't seem to have the non-standard headers (of
his invention), so he must be asserting some original content.

Re: for you to wear

<3e2b5f6fd67d882416cad1fa5eece095@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205357&group=alt.usage.english#205357

From: arthurvarr@gmail.com (navi)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:08:51 +0000
 by: navi - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:08 UTC

The scenic route is extremely long, especially if there is someone accompanying you who won't stop talking in English that has been scraped off the sidewalk...

Anyway, I think my thread is dead.
I don't know what Stefan is trying to do, but he sure as hell ain't helping me.

Respectfully,
Navi

Re: for you to wear

<uvht8e$3tgf7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205368&group=alt.usage.english#205368

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 10:43:58 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 00:43 UTC

On 14/04/24 22:12, Janet wrote:
> In article <sentences-20240414102957@ram.dialup.fu- berlin.de>,
> ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de says...
>

>> I think I'm gonna go take a load off and have myself a cup of tea.
>
> Culture fail.
>
> As a goode ole boy you should be drinking cawffy, or mountain dew.

Them good ol' boys drink whiskey and rye.

Question: did the American spelling of whiskey come from Ireland, or was
it an independent invention?

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: for you to wear

<1qs2628.endtl6o8yn8qN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205384&group=alt.usage.english#205384

From: nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:43:44 +0200
 by: J. J. Lodder - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 11:43 UTC

Peter Moylan <peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

> On 14/04/24 22:12, Janet wrote:
> > In article <sentences-20240414102957@ram.dialup.fu- berlin.de>,
> > ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de says...
> >

> >> I think I'm gonna go take a load off and have myself a cup of tea.
> >
> > Culture fail.
> >
> > As a goode ole boy you should be drinking cawffy, or mountain dew.
>
> Them good ol' boys drink whiskey and rye.
>
> Question: did the American spelling of whiskey come from Ireland, or was
> it an independent invention?

Neither. The Scottish spelling without the 'e'
wasn't fixed until late 19th/early 20th century.

Jan

Re: for you to wear

<uvkkub$j8l4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205408&group=alt.usage.english#205408

From: larry@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:40:27 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 01:40 UTC

On 2024-04-14 18:43, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 14/04/24 22:12, Janet wrote:
>> In article <sentences-20240414102957@ram.dialup.fu- berlin.de>,
>> ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de says...
>>

>>> I think I'm gonna go take a load off and have myself a cup of tea.
>>
>> Culture fail.
>>
>> As a goode ole boy you should be drinking cawffy, or mountain dew.
>
> Them good ol' boys drink whiskey and rye.
>
> Question: did the American spelling of whiskey come from Ireland, or was
> it an independent invention?

Rye whiskey, rye whiskey,
Rye whiskey I cry.
If a tree don't fall on me,
I'll live 'til I die.

--
There are two types of people:
1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Re: for you to wear

<98d95099267f74b690a76f305fb746a7@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205420&group=alt.usage.english#205420

From: marius.hancu@gmail.com (Marius_Hancu)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 07:30:22 +0000
 by: Marius_Hancu - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 07:30 UTC

navi wrote:

> 1) It's not part of the game that you wear a disguise, but there are no rules against it either.
> 2) It's not part of the game for you to wear a disguise, but there are no rules against it either.
> 3) It's not part of the game to wear a disguise, but there are no rules against it either.

> Which are grammatical?

They all OK but I prefer, related to 2):

~~~
COCA
a search on
For you to
[See the period to force beginning]
2 examples in this sample

Title Dead Man Walking (IMDB) (Open Subtitles)
Year: 1995 / Genre: Crime, Drama

Plot A nun, while comforting a convicted killer on death row, empathizes with both the killer and his victim's families.

More info Length: 122 min / Rating: R / IMDB rating: 7.5 (80645 votes)

Expanded context

Whatever's convenient. Matthew Poncelet. I remember him from the news. Him and another fella shot two children in the back of the head on Lover's Lane. Raped the girl. Stabbed her several times. Do you know what you're getting into? So, what is it, Sister? Morbid fascination? Bleeding-heart sympathy? He wrote me and asked me to come. There is no romance here, Sister. No Jimmy Cagney " I've been wrongly accused. If I only had someone who believed in me " nonsense. They are all con men. And they will take advantage of you every way they can. You must be very, very careful. Do you understand? Yes, Father. These men don't see many females. For you to wear the habit might help instill respect. For you to flout authority will only encourage them to do the same. Woman on the tier! You can wait there. We'll bring your man out for you. Well, Matthew, I made it. Thanks for coming, ma'am. Never thought I'd be visiting with no nun. So you're a nun. Yep. I'm here to listen. Whatever you want to talk about is fine. You're very sincere. What do you mean? You never done this before. - Never been this close to a murderer? - Not that I know of. Lots of niggers down where you live. They knock each o
ther off like beer cans off a fence. When I got your letter, I seen Helen on it. I thought it was my ex-old lady. Almost ripped it up.
~~~

--
Marius Hancu