From: HenHanna@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english,rec.puzzles
Subject: Kate Bush song with a connection to James Joyce is "The Sensual
World."
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:31:14 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 04:31 UTC

a quote by Joyce:

"I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that I'll keep the
professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant..."

_________________________________

The Kate Bush song with a connection to James Joyce is "The Sensual World."

Originally, it was set to be music for Molly Bloom's famous soliloquy at
the end of Joyce's Ulysses.

Bush aimed to bring this character, central to Ulysses, to life through
music.

However, she couldn't get the rights from the Joyce estate for the
specific text [2].

Due to this, the song went through a transformation:

New lyrics were written by Kate Bush herself.

The song title remained "The Sensual World."

This version was released on her 1989 album "The Sensual World."

Interestingly, the story doesn't end there:

In 2011, the Joyce estate finally granted permission for Bush to use the
original lyrics.

With the new lyrics, the song was re-recorded and re-titled "Flower of
the Mountain."

This version appeared on the 2011 reissue "Director's Cut" of "The
Sensual World" album.

Re: Kate Bush song with a connection to James Joyce is "The Sensual World."

<uvv980$3e7vc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205657&group=alt.usage.english#205657

From: HenHanna@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english,rec.puzzles
World."
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 19:28:15 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 02:28 UTC

______________________________

> Due to this, the song went through a transformation:
>
> New lyrics were written by Kate Bush herself.
>
> The song title remained "The Sensual World."
>
> This version was released on her 1989 album "The Sensual World."

______________________________

> Interestingly, the story doesn't end there:
>
> In 2011, the Joyce estate finally granted permission for Bush to use the
> original lyrics.
>
> With the new lyrics, the song was re-recorded and re-titled "Flower of
> the Mountain."
>
> This version appeared on the 2011 reissue "Director's Cut" of "The
> Sensual World" album.

After 20 Years, Kate Bush Gets Permission to Use James ...

Rolling Stone

Apr 5, 2011 — Kate Bush has been granted permission to
use text from James Joyce's book Ulysses in a song over 20 years after
requesting it.