Subject: Re: Tillamook - again
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redydog@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 18:59:19 -0400
 by: bfh - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 22:59 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:

> We made another trip to the coast, with lovely gray weather, and
> managed to fit in some attractions we hadn't seen before. We have
> been past the Tillamook Forest Center many times without stopping
> to see this free attraction. When they are open, they are only open
> on a limited schedule. They closed early in the pandemic and only
> opened again recently. The Tillamook Forest is the result of a
> series of wildfires and the depression. During the depression a lot
> of people couldn't or wouldn't pay the taxes on burned over forest
> land. After several counties foreclosed on that land it was
> consolidated into the Tillamook Forest and generates income for
> several counties--and a museum.
>
> http://tillamookforestcenter.org/
>
> If you dig through it the website does a pretty good job of
> explaining the Forest. One of the odd things the museum mentions is
> that during the "Jim Crow era" the logging camps in the area were
> not segregated. People lived, worked and played together without
> regard to race.
>
> Oceanside is an odd little town that has been there pretty much
> forever. There are still a lot of older structures in the middle of
> town, including the old post office and a series of small cabins
> that has been a motel since motels were invented.
>
> https://visittheoregoncoast.com/cities/oceanside/
>
> The big point of land on the left side of this panoramic view has a
> tunnel that has been blasted through it so that people can walk
> from one beach to another.
>
> "Explore the Unique Tunnel Beach on the Oregon Coast"
> https://thatoregonlife.com/2023/05/tunnel-beach/
>
> Over the years it has been opened and closed several times. I have
> never walked through there.
>
> Their website doesn't do the Ocean Front Cabins in Oceanside
> justice. this website does a better job:
>
> https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52003-d1469219-Reviews-Ocean_Front_Cabins-Oceanside_Oregon.html
>
> So, what makes Oceanside a bit odd, even by Oregon coast
> standards, is that the small old part of town is surrounded by big
> expensive homes covering the hillside around town. This time of
> year there are probably more of those big houses than residents.
> The town supports a number of small businesses, including several
> restaurants. It's unlikely that many of the people who work there
> also live there.

Je*us H Ch*ist. Now you're starting to use "so".

> I had read that the beach there is an excellent place to collect
> pretty rocks. I had been skeptical because this is a popular beach.
> We happened to be there at an ideal time, when the tide was going
> out. As it's going out the ocean mixes the rocks up a lot. So, even
> though there were a number of people looking for pretty rocks,
> everyone found something. Along with some nice agates we found a
> lot of small jadeite stones and some rocks that would be ordinary,
> except that they had small bit of jadeite or other rocks imbedded
> in them.
>
> One of the things you see from the beach is a big blue house a bit
> inland from the tunnel, on top of that big point of land--with a
> big red for sale sign on that side of the building. Where that
> place sits I suspect that you would need to be able to finance it
> yourself. It's unlikely that you could buy landslide insurance for
> anything less than the value of the property. The website says the
> monthly mortgage payment would only be around $14K.
>
> https://www.movoto.com/oceanside-or/1816-maxwell-mountain-rd-oceanside-or-97134-491_22137300/
>
> So anyhow, I learned a bit more about beach crabbing on a beach
> just a bit south of Oceanside. I saw someone who knew what she was
> doing catch a keeper and a red rock crab. The red rock crabs are
> all keepers if you're into that sort of thing. I did catch one nice
> sized keeper from the dock in Garibaldi. I figure that wasn't too
> bad, since we only spent a few hours there, mostly during an
> unfavorable tide. It has been raining, so crabbing in the bay is
> slowing down. It looked like everyone was catching a few nice
> keepers and a few that were just a little too small.

Je*us H Ch*ist. You used "so" again.
How long before you start using "like, you know", and start
uptalking?........umm...you're not uptalking yet are you?

--
bill

Re: Tillamook - again

<kkYZM.208061$rbid.58949@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=20924&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#20924

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redydog@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 19:21:52 -0400
 by: bfh - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 23:21 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:
> [...]
>>> was doing catch a keeper and a red rock crab. The red rock
>>> crabs are all keepers if you're into that sort of thing. I did
>>> catch one nice sized keeper from the dock in Garibaldi. I
>>> figure that wasn't too bad, since we only spent a few hours
>>> there, mostly during an unfavorable tide. It has been raining,
>>> so crabbing in the bay is slowing down. It looked like everyone
>>> was catching a few nice keepers and a few that were just a
>>> little too small.
>> Je*us H Ch*ist. You used "so" again. How long before you start
>> using "like, you know", and start uptalking?........umm...you're
>> not uptalking yet are you?
>>
>> -- bill Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.
>
> ?????? I have no idea what you're talking about. As usual, I'm
> mostly just faking it, because I'm mostly writing for myself. You
> guys are sort of like accident victims. You just happen to be in

If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you're not as on top of
things as you might like to think you are.

--
bill

Re: Tillamook - again

<ILZZM.137360$sxoa.102257@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=20925&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#20925

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redydog@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 20:59:19 -0400
 by: bfh - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 00:59 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 24, 2023 at 4:21:55 PM UTC-7, bfh wrote:
>> Technobarbarian wrote:

So, what makes Oceanside a bit odd, even by Oregon coast

So anyhow, I learned a bit more about beach crabbing on a beach

>>> ?????? I have no idea what you're talking about. As usual, I'm
>>> mostly just faking it, because I'm mostly writing for myself.
>>> You guys are sort of like accident victims. You just happen to
>>> be in the way.
>> If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you're not as on
>> top of things as you might like to think you are. -- bill Theory
>> don't mean squat if it don't work.
>
> I recently mentioned that I'm essentially living under a figurative
> rock. Almost anything that I'm not doing myself comes and goes on
> the internet. I'm collecting rocks and eating crabs. My most recent
> conversations with people other than my wife were about collecting
> crabs. How "on top of things" can I be?

That explains a few things.

--
bill

interests / rec.outdoors.rv-travel / Re: Tillamook - again