From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.talk.royalty,alt.obituaries
Subject: Emir Nawaf of Kuwait 1937-2023
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 20:42:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 20:42 UTC

According to official sources there,
Emir Nawaf al-Ahmed al-Jaber al-Sabah,
Emir of Kuwait since September 2020,
died December 16th 2023.

Born in 1937,he was one of the younger sons
of Emir Ahmed al-Jaber al-Sabah,ruler under
a British protectorate from 1921 to 1950.

In the Kuwaiti dynasty,succession to the throne
generally moves sideways...in 1896,Mubarak al-Sabah
stabbed his older brother to death to take the throne,
making him officially "Mubarak the Great" and only his
male line descendants eligible for succession afterward.
He switched from Ottoman to British protection three years
later.

On his death he was succeeded by his sons Jaber (1915-17)
and then Salim (1917-21),who for a long time were considered
to have started two branches each entitled to succeed to
the throne,with two sons of Salim,reigning 1950-65 and
1965-77,succeeding Ahmed al-Jaber,during which time the
country became independent in 1961,before Jaber al-Ahmed
al-Jaber,one of Ahmed's older sons,took the throne at the
end of 1977 after having served as finance minister and
then prime minister under his two cousins.

Jaber's cousin Saad,a grandson of Salim,served as his
crown prince and prime minister until ill-health made
it impossible for him to continue as prime minister,and
Jaber's brother Sabah al-Ahmed al-Jaber took that role.
When Jaber al-Ahmed died in 2006,Saad was still crown
prince but his health problems had only worsened,and he
was considered Emir for three days and then declared
"Emir Father" and the prime minister was made Emir,
the now-just-deceased Nawaf,who had served in various
government positions since independence,was named crown
prince,and other Jaber-branch princes were named prime
minister and first deputy prime minister...a Salim
branch prince was an additional deputy prime minister
for some years but I don't think they have held any
senior positions since.

When he succeeded in 2020,Nawaf named Mishaal al-Ahmed,
born 1940 as I think the youngest son of Ahmed al-Jaber,
as crown prince,and by 2022 it was Mishaal who was in
de facto charge (he issued the decree naming Nawaf's
eldest son as prime minister).

Mishaal now becomes Emir and has yet to name a crown prince...
it will likely be a Jaber-branch descendant.

-=-=-

Re: Emir Nawaf of Kuwait 1937-2023

<ullgkb$pto$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=21281&group=alt.obituaries#21281

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.talk.royalty,alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Emir Nawaf of Kuwait 1937-2023
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 00:50:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 00:50 UTC

In alt.obituaries Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
> According to official sources there,
> Emir Nawaf al-Ahmed al-Jaber al-Sabah,
> Emir of Kuwait since September 2020,
> died December 16th 2023.
>
> Born in 1937,he was one of the younger sons
> of Emir Ahmed al-Jaber al-Sabah,ruler under
> a British protectorate from 1921 to 1950.
>
> In the Kuwaiti dynasty,succession to the throne
> generally moves sideways...in 1896,Mubarak al-Sabah
> stabbed his older brother to death to take the throne,
> making him officially "Mubarak the Great" and only his
> male line descendants eligible for succession afterward.
> He switched from Ottoman to British protection three years
> later.
>
> On his death he was succeeded by his sons Jaber (1915-17)
> and then Salim (1917-21),who for a long time were considered
> to have started two branches each entitled to succeed to
> the throne,with two sons of Salim,reigning 1950-65 and
> 1965-77,succeeding Ahmed al-Jaber,during which time the
> country became independent in 1961,before Jaber al-Ahmed
> al-Jaber,one of Ahmed's older sons,took the throne at the
> end of 1977 after having served as finance minister and
> then prime minister under his two cousins.
>
> Jaber's cousin Saad,a grandson of Salim,served as his
> crown prince and prime minister until ill-health made
> it impossible for him to continue as prime minister,and
> Jaber's brother Sabah al-Ahmed al-Jaber took that role.
> When Jaber al-Ahmed died in 2006,Saad was still crown
> prince but his health problems had only worsened,and he
> was considered Emir for three days and then declared
> "Emir Father" and the prime minister was made Emir,
> the now-just-deceased Nawaf,who had served in various
> government positions since independence,was named crown
> prince,and other Jaber-branch princes were named prime
> minister and first deputy prime minister...a Salim
> branch prince was an additional deputy prime minister
> for some years but I don't think they have held any
> senior positions since.
>
> When he succeeded in 2020,Nawaf named Mishaal al-Ahmed,
> born 1940 as I think the youngest son of Ahmed al-Jaber,

Nope,7th of 10 sons:
Abdullah 1905-57 by Hussa
Muhammad 1909-75 by Hussa,father of a Prime Minister
Jaber 1926-2006 by Bazba,Emir 1977-2006
Sabah 1929-2020 by Munira,Emir 2006-20
Khalid 1932-2011 by Yamama father of current Deputy PM
Nawaf 1937-2023 by Yamama Emir 2020-3 father of current PM
Mishaal 1940 by Mariam,current Emir
Mansur 1941 by Ruqaia,father of a former Deputy PM
Faisal by Yamama,died young
Fahad 1945-90 by Fatima,killed in Iraq invasion

> as crown prince,and by 2022 it was Mishaal who was in
> de facto charge (he issued the decree naming Nawaf's
> eldest son as prime minister).
>
> Mishaal now becomes Emir and has yet to name a crown prince...
> it will likely be a Jaber-branch descendant.
>
> -=-=-
> The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
> at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

interests / alt.obituaries / Emir Nawaf of Kuwait 1937-2023