Snoopy: No problem is so big that it can't be run away from.

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: Sylvia Waugh, 86? in March 2022 (UK author of "The Mennyms," 1993)

SubjectAuthor
* Sylvia Waugh, 86? in March 2022 (UK author of "The Mennyms," 1993)Lenona
`* Re: Sylvia Waugh, 86? in March 2022 (UK author of "The Mennyms," 1993)Big Mongo
 +- Re: Sylvia Waugh, 86? in March 2022 (UK author of "The Mennyms," 1993)Lenona
 `- Re: Sylvia Waugh, 86? in March 2022 (UK author of "The Mennyms," 1993)Kenny McCormack

1
Sylvia Waugh, 86? in March 2022 (UK author of "The Mennyms," 1993)

<5601c605-83a9-4bc4-b86c-93b1e51dcab0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=21703&group=alt.obituaries#21703

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:39:15 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Sylvia Waugh, 86? in March 2022 (UK author of "The Mennyms," 1993)
From: lenona321@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 01:39 UTC

Wikipedia does not list her death year. Also, I have never been able to find her exact birthdate (do NOT trust Goodreads when it comes to birthdates), but chances are she was not 87 yet.

She also wrote the sci-fi Ormingat trilogy.

https://www.librarything.com/author/waughsylvia
(with photo and exact death date)

From Goodreads:

Sylvia Waugh (sounds like "cough") was born in Gateshead, County Durham -there was no Tyne & Wear till 1974- in Northern England in 1935. Having worked full-time as a grammar teacher for seventeen years, Waugh began her writing career in her late forties, after her three children were grown. In 1993, she published her first book, The Mennyms, which eventually evolved into an entire series. Ms. Waugh said in an "Entertainment Weekly," interview with Lois Alter Mark, "I created the Mennyms because the world is too cynical, too lacking in magic. People with dreams are an endangered species, and I wanted to write for them. I don't want the nastiness-the stuff I see on TV.." Since completing her "Mennyms" books, Waugh has continued her focus, as "Horn Book" contributor Martha V. Parravano noted, on "what it means to be human by exploring the lives of those who are not."

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/w/sylvia-waugh/
(book covers)

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/author/sylvia-waugh/
(four Kirkus reviews)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/36112.Sylvia_Waugh

About "The Mennyms":

"A family of life-sized rag dolls live quietly and happily in a British village, secure that everyone takes them as human, until a letter from their landlord's relative in Australia threatens their existence."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Waugh

Excerpt:

Awards

Beside winning the Guardian Prize,[3] The Mennyms (book one) was recognised in other ways:

The Birmingham Readers & Writers Children's Book Award - a new prize, selected by schoolchildren[citation needed]
An official commendation and the Silver Kiss (CPNB) for the Dutch 'Mennyms under Siege'[citation needed]
A certificate from the American Hungry Mind Review naming it one of its 'Children's Books of Distinction'[citation needed]
American Parenting magazine's 'Reading Magic Awards' - one of the top ten children's books in the USA for 1994, and one of the ten books of the decade that 'best withstand the test of time'.[citation needed]
The whole series was awarded the Kinderbuchpreis 2000 in Vienna.[citation needed]

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=601262482&q=%22sylvia+waugh%22&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZ0qHcsveDAxVmCnkGHQooAtwQ0pQJegQIDBAB&biw=1920&bih=925&dpr=1
(two videos about her books)

Re: Sylvia Waugh, 86? in March 2022 (UK author of "The Mennyms," 1993)

<d975aa16-56f4-4964-87ed-9733ec8e531en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=21708&group=alt.obituaries#21708

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 05:37:16 -0800 (PST)
From: bigmongo1963@gmail.com (Big Mongo)
 by: Big Mongo - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 13:37 UTC

Any relation to Evelyn Waugh? Her dates seem right for her to be his daughter, but I can't
find a connection

On Wednesday, January 24, 2024 at 8:39:17 PM UTC-5, Lenona wrote:
> Wikipedia does not list her death year. Also, I have never been able to find her exact birthdate (do NOT trust Goodreads when it comes to birthdates), but chances are she was not 87 yet.
>
> She also wrote the sci-fi Ormingat trilogy.
>
> https://www.librarything.com/author/waughsylvia
> (with photo and exact death date)
>
> From Goodreads:
>
> Sylvia Waugh (sounds like "cough") was born in Gateshead, County Durham -there was no Tyne & Wear till 1974- in Northern England in 1935. Having worked full-time as a grammar teacher for seventeen years, Waugh began her writing career in her late forties, after her three children were grown. In 1993, she published her first book, The Mennyms, which eventually evolved into an entire series. Ms. Waugh said in an "Entertainment Weekly," interview with Lois Alter Mark, "I created the Mennyms because the world is too cynical, too lacking in magic. People with dreams are an endangered species, and I wanted to write for them. I don't want the nastiness-the stuff I see on TV." Since completing her "Mennyms" books, Waugh has continued her focus, as "Horn Book" contributor Martha V. Parravano noted, on "what it means to be human by exploring the lives of those who are not."
>
> https://www.fantasticfiction.com/w/sylvia-waugh/
> (book covers)
>
> https://www.kirkusreviews.com/author/sylvia-waugh/
> (four Kirkus reviews)
>
> https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/36112.Sylvia_Waugh
>
> About "The Mennyms":
>
> "A family of life-sized rag dolls live quietly and happily in a British village, secure that everyone takes them as human, until a letter from their landlord's relative in Australia threatens their existence."
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Waugh
>
> Excerpt:
>
> Awards
>
> Beside winning the Guardian Prize,[3] The Mennyms (book one) was recognised in other ways:
>
> The Birmingham Readers & Writers Children's Book Award - a new prize, selected by schoolchildren[citation needed]
> An official commendation and the Silver Kiss (CPNB) for the Dutch 'Mennyms under Siege'[citation needed]
> A certificate from the American Hungry Mind Review naming it one of its 'Children's Books of Distinction'[citation needed]
> American Parenting magazine's 'Reading Magic Awards' - one of the top ten children's books in the USA for 1994, and one of the ten books of the decade that 'best withstand the test of time'.[citation needed]
> The whole series was awarded the Kinderbuchpreis 2000 in Vienna.[citation needed]
>
> https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=601262482&q=%22sylvia+waugh%22&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZ0qHcsveDAxVmCnkGHQooAtwQ0pQJegQIDBAB&biw=1920&bih=925&dpr=1
> (two videos about her books)

Re: Sylvia Waugh, 86? in March 2022 (UK author of "The Mennyms," 1993)

<a6bea461-9e77-4afa-9339-813698b0e027n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=21710&group=alt.obituaries#21710

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 10:14:13 -0800 (PST)
From: lenona321@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:14 UTC

On Thursday, January 25, 2024 at 8:37:18 AM UTC-5, Big Mongo wrote:
> Any relation to Evelyn Waugh? Her dates seem right for her to be his daughter, but I can't
> find a connection

Well, given that he pronounced his name differently, I assume not.

He had seven children (one died in infancy), and his three daughters were: Maria Teresa, Harriet Mary, and Meg. (The boys were Auberon, James, and Septimus.)

Besides, even if Sylvia were just a niece or a cousin, it shouldn't be so difficult to find that information!

(Btw, since I knew what British actor Boris Karloff's real name was, I once asked a British writer - who had originally had the same surname - if they were related, since they were both born in Surrey. "Nooooo, I don't THINK there's any connection." He would have been only too happy to have been related to Karloff, I'm pretty sure.)

Re: Sylvia Waugh, 86? in March 2022 (UK author of "The Mennyms," 1993)

<uoui44$g4o3$3@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=21715&group=alt.obituaries#21715

From: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 20:59:48 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 20:59 UTC

In article <d975aa16-56f4-4964-87ed-9733ec8e531en@googlegroups.com>,
Big Mongo <bigmongo1963@gmail.com> wrote:
>Any relation to Evelyn Waugh? Her dates seem right for her to be his
>daughter, but I can't find a connection

As far as I can tell, no. Wikipedia says that Evelyn had 7 children, only
one of whom is famous enough to have their own Wiki entry (Auberon).

Sylvia has an entry, but not mention of Evelyn or of parentage at all.

Also, apparently the pronounciation of the last name is different. Evelyn
rhymes with claw, while Sylvia (per the OP) rhymes with cough.

--
There are many self-professed Christians who seem to think that because
they believe in Jesus' sacrifice they can reject Jesus' teachings about

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: Sylvia Waugh, 86? in March 2022 (UK author of "The Mennyms," 1993)