From: technobarbarian@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Picking up pretty rocks in Oceanside - another trip report.
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 13:07:54 -0800
 by: Technobarbarian - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 21:07 UTC

My wife and I have become very fond on Tillamook county, because
it's just a short drive from here and some of it, along the coast, is
off of the main highway. Most of the Oregon coast is built on highway
101. From Cape Lookout to Cape Meares is an exception, with a lot of
nice beaches between those two point. Where 101 goes through Tillamook
county is also charming and often naturally "rustic". The real deal. On
the north end of the county 101 is close to the beach again.

Oceanside was built by rich people, for rich people, with a nice
state owned parking lot right in the middle of it. It's still being
built by rich people who can afford to build seriously big houses on the
hill the town is mostly built on.

""It would be one of the biggest and finest resorts of the Pacific
Northwest. The seal rocks?will vie in fame with the nationally known
'Seal Rocks' of the Cliff House, at the Golden Gate, San Francisco."
Those were the dreams of Oceanside's founders, the brothers H.H. and
J.H. Rosenberg, when they bought the land from John W. Maxwell in 1921.
He had owned and farmed the 160 acres since 1885. Maxwell Point,
overlooking Three Arch Rocks Wildlife Refuge, was an ideal site for a
hotel, promising to become a second Cliff House.

The Rosenbergs officially named Oceanside, located nine miles west of
Tillamook, on July 5, 1922, platted the area and sold the lots. The
first building they erected was a huge dance hall, later converted to a
skating rink. Hillcrest Court (later Oceanside Inn) was another early
building, as was the grocery store in 1923. But what really opened up
Oceanside was a three-mile wooden-plank road between Netarts and
Oceanside, financed by the Rosenbergs, opened on July 3, 1925. By
evening of that day, 500 tents had been set up, and Oceanside was ready
to play."

https://www.oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/oceanside/#:~:text=The%
20Rosenbergs%20officially%20named%20Oceanside,converted%20to%20a%
20skating%20rink.

I think their J.H. Rosenberg is this guy. Oceanside doesn't even
rate a mention in his Wiki biography.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Rosenberg

This time of year Oceanside has a quiet, but popular beach. During
the Summer it can get very busy there and it can be difficult to find a
parking spot at times. I usually find other places to go that time of
year. This time of year it can be fun place to look for pretty rocks.
This is just one of the many ways my wife and I find to amuse ourselves.
We find a lot of rocks there that are a little odd. It looks like nearly
pure quartz was pouring onto the rocks on the beacha at some point in
it's history. We find a lot of jade there, usually either completely
fused with other rocks or broken into small pieces. And it can be
surprisingly social. People frequently walk up to us to ask what we're
looking for or to show us what they found. We have met some of the
"locals" that way.

One of the things that has intriqued me about Oceanside is the old
motel. That and the old post office are a couple of things I remember
about trips to Oceanside with my grandparents. I don't think we stayed
there. I thought the motel was probably older than me and about as old
as the history of motels. Their small post office still has the old
fashioned boxes from sometime in the last century.

"Viewpoint Motel atop Maxwell Point was demolished in 1968 and replaced
by House on the Hill Motel in 1969 (now The Clifftop). The forty
Oceanfront Cabins (formerly Minaker Motel) were built in two rows near
the beach in 1925, and they still operate today."

The Clifftop is vacant and looking for a new owner. What's left of
the old Minaker Motel was recently purchased by a guy who owns another
older, but not that old, motel a couple miles further south. To be more
precise it's probably owned by him, and his bank. On this part of the
coast there aren't many motels from that era that are still standing or
operating as a motel.

https://www.oceanfrontcabins.com/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1816-Maxwell-Mountain-Rd-Oceanside-
OR-97134/2066599023_zpid/

The old Clifftop has a for sale sign that's big enough to be easy to
read from the beach. It's been there for over a year that I know of.

TB

interests / rec.outdoors.rv-travel / Picking up pretty rocks in Oceanside - another trip report.