From: technobarbarian@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Oregon leaders declare 90-day state of emergency in downtown Portland
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 10:53:44 -0800
 by: Technobarbarian - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 18:53 UTC

Oregon leaders declare 90-day state of emergency in downtown Portland to
address fentanyl crisis"

"CNN
?
Oregon leaders joined forces to declare a 90-day state of emergency in
downtown Portland, funneling resources into fighting the city?s deadly
fentanyl crisis.

Oregon Gov. Tina Kotek, Multnomah County Chair Jessica Vega Pederson and
Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler each made an emergency declaration to address
the public health and public safety crisis in Portland?s Central City,
citing overdoses, deaths and fear driven by fentanyl use, according to a
Tuesday press release.

?Our country and our state have never seen a drug this deadly and
addictive, and all are grappling with how to respond,? Kotek said in the
release.

Oregon voters passed Measure 110 in 2020, which decriminalized some use
of hard-drugs, including fentanyl, a potent synthetic opioid. The
measure has received criticism, as opioid overdose deaths steadily
climbed since.

Opioid overdose deaths in the state increased from 280 in 2019 to 956 in
2022, according to the state?s data.

Nearly 70,000 people in the US died of drug overdoses that involved
fentanyl in 2021, almost a four-fold increase over five years, according
to a US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report released last
spring. Fentanyl is significantly more likely to be involved in a deadly
overdose than other common drugs, according to the CDC.

Experts say reversing the trends in overdose deaths really depends on
broader access to and use of treatments for opioid use disorder.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/31/us/fentanyl-crisis-portland-state-of-
emergency/index.html

Yet another quick fix from our new governor, after the last one
didn't work out all that well. As I said, everyone is looking for cheap
solutions. It's inconvenient if they keep dying at this rate, but I
don't think many people really care. It's all about polishing Oregon's
image. I think they might be able to convince the addicts to keep it on
the down low. From my perspective the "treatment" programs have never
"cured" anyone. They just produce better addicts.

TB

Re: Oregon leaders declare 90-day state of emergency in downtown Portland

<upe6js$1lcij$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=21828&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#21828

From: ganthony@gmail.org (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Oregon leaders declare 90-day state of emergency in downtown
Portland
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 13:21:37 -0600
 by: George.Anthony - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 19:21 UTC

On 1/31/2024 12:53 PM, Technobarbarian wrote:

> Oregon leaders declare 90-day state of emergency in downtown Portland to
> address fentanyl crisis"
>
> "CNN
> ?
> Oregon leaders joined forces to declare a 90-day state of emergency in
> downtown Portland, funneling resources into fighting the city?s deadly
> fentanyl crisis.
>
> Oregon Gov. Tina Kotek, Multnomah County Chair Jessica Vega Pederson and
> Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler each made an emergency declaration to address
> the public health and public safety crisis in Portland?s Central City,
> citing overdoses, deaths and fear driven by fentanyl use, according to a
> Tuesday press release.
>
> ?Our country and our state have never seen a drug this deadly and
> addictive, and all are grappling with how to respond,? Kotek said in the
> release.
>
> Oregon voters passed Measure 110 in 2020, which decriminalized some use
> of hard-drugs, including fentanyl, a potent synthetic opioid. The
> measure has received criticism, as opioid overdose deaths steadily
> climbed since.
>
> Opioid overdose deaths in the state increased from 280 in 2019 to 956 in
> 2022, according to the state?s data.
>
> Nearly 70,000 people in the US died of drug overdoses that involved
> fentanyl in 2021, almost a four-fold increase over five years, according
> to a US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report released last
> spring. Fentanyl is significantly more likely to be involved in a deadly
> overdose than other common drugs, according to the CDC.
>
> Experts say reversing the trends in overdose deaths really depends on
> broader access to and use of treatments for opioid use disorder.
>
> https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/31/us/fentanyl-crisis-portland-state-of-
> emergency/index.html
>
> Yet another quick fix from our new governor, after the last one
> didn't work out all that well. As I said, everyone is looking for cheap
> solutions. It's inconvenient if they keep dying at this rate, but I
> don't think many people really care. It's all about polishing Oregon's
> image. I think they might be able to convince the addicts to keep it on
> the down low. From my perspective the "treatment" programs have never
> "cured" anyone. They just produce better addicts.
>
> TB

"From my perspective the "treatment" programs have never
"cured" anyone. They just produce better addicts".

It's snowing in Hell... I agree with you. But you can thank Joe "Pablo"
Biden for this horrible situation.
--
"There are none so blind as liberals who will not see"

Re: Oregon leaders declare 90-day state of emergency in downtown Portland

<_MxuN.251315$Ama9.119288@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=21830&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#21830

Portland
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redydog@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 15:08:26 -0500
 by: bfh - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 20:08 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:

> Oregon leaders declare 90-day state of emergency in downtown Portland to
> address fentanyl crisis"
>
> "CNN
> ?
> Oregon leaders joined forces to declare a 90-day state of emergency in
> downtown Portland, funneling resources into fighting the city?s deadly
> fentanyl crisis.
>
> Oregon Gov. Tina Kotek, Multnomah County Chair Jessica Vega Pederson and
> Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler each made an emergency declaration to address
> the public health and public safety crisis in Portland?s Central City,
> citing overdoses, deaths and fear driven by fentanyl use, according to a
> Tuesday press release.
>
> ?Our country and our state have never seen a drug this deadly and
> addictive, and all are grappling with how to respond,? Kotek said in the
> release.
>
> Oregon voters passed Measure 110 in 2020, which decriminalized some use
> of hard-drugs, including fentanyl, a potent synthetic opioid. The
> measure has received criticism, as opioid overdose deaths steadily
> climbed since.
>
> Opioid overdose deaths in the state increased from 280 in 2019 to 956 in
> 2022, according to the state?s data.
>
> Nearly 70,000 people in the US died of drug overdoses that involved
> fentanyl in 2021, almost a four-fold increase over five years, according
> to a US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report released last
> spring. Fentanyl is significantly more likely to be involved in a deadly
> overdose than other common drugs, according to the CDC.
>
> Experts say reversing the trends in overdose deaths really depends on
> broader access to and use of treatments for opioid use disorder.
>
> https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/31/us/fentanyl-crisis-portland-state-of-
> emergency/index.html
>
> Yet another quick fix from our new governor, after the last one
> didn't work out all that well. As I said, everyone is looking for cheap
> solutions. It's inconvenient if they keep dying at this rate, but I
> don't think many people really care. It's all about polishing Oregon's
> image. I think they might be able to convince the addicts to keep it on
> the down low. From my perspective the "treatment" programs have never
> "cured" anyone. They just produce better addicts.

Sounds like a politically efficacious solution to me. They've given
themselves 90 days during which all they have to say to anyone who
gives a shit is, "We're addressing the crisis and at the end of the
day we'll be putting all the tools in our toolbox on the table. Please
call back in May". Meanwhile, they can contract some consultants for a
few million bucks, hire some more government workers, and ask you for
some more money while they wait for a miracle.

--
bill

Re: Oregon leaders declare 90-day state of emergency in downtown Portland

<MPG.4024712da02b39e59896de@reader80.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=21832&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#21832

From: technobarbarian@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 15:01:57 -0800
 by: Technobarbarian - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 23:01 UTC

In article <_MxuN.251315$Ama9.119288@fx12.iad>, redydog@rye.net says...

> Sounds like a politically efficacious solution to me. They've given
> themselves 90 days during which all they have to say to anyone who
> gives a shit is, "We're addressing the crisis and at the end of the
> day we'll be putting all the tools in our toolbox on the table. Please
> call back in May". Meanwhile, they can contract some consultants for a
> few million bucks, hire some more government workers, and ask you for
> some more money while they wait for a miracle.
>
> --

Efficacious? We'll see. If the governor can get the addicts to keep
it on the down low she'll be a hero. If not, she has a real political
problem on her hands. Someone of the boob tube this morning was putting
the problem in perspective.

"Alcohol is third-leading cause of preventable death in Oregon"

"And in Oregon, problematic drinking is on the rise.

Statewide data shows that more than one in five adults drink
excessively, defined as both heavy drinking and binge drinking. For men
that?s more than 15 drinks per week or more than five in one sitting.
For women, it?s eight drinks per week or four on one occasion.

SEE ALSO: Multnomah County: Paper ID to blame for wrong man declared
dead

And excessive alcohol use costs the state $4.8 million annually. That?s
a cost shared by Oregonians; at about $1,100 per person.

But the bottom line is that excessive alcohol use is killing 2,000
people in Oregon every year."

While this is twice as many people who are killed by opioids, 2,000
is likely to be significantly conservative.

"That?s six deaths every single day, making alcohol the third leading
preventable cause of death in Oregon after tobacco and obesity."

Alcohol taxes are also the state's third largest source of revenue.

https://www.kptv.com/2024/01/31/alcohol-is-third-leading-cause-
preventable-death-oregon/

Because we aren't used to this level of opioid deahts this is
getting more attention.

The wrong man dead story is a hoot too. One of his relatives had
him cremated and put in a fancy urn. He was surprised to find out that
he was dead. At this point no one knows who she has in the urn.

TB

Re: Oregon leaders declare 90-day state of emergency in downtown Portland

<yKBuN.251359$Ama9.19772@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=21833&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#21833

Portland
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redydog@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 19:38:54 -0500
 by: bfh - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 00:38 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:
> In article <_MxuN.251315$Ama9.119288@fx12.iad>, redydog@rye.net says...
>>
>> Sounds like a politically efficacious solution to me. They've given
>> themselves 90 days during which all they have to say to anyone who
>> gives a shit is, "We're addressing the crisis and at the end of the
>> day we'll be putting all the tools in our toolbox on the table. Please
>> call back in May". Meanwhile, they can contract some consultants for a
>> few million bucks, hire some more government workers, and ask you for
>> some more money while they wait for a miracle.
>>
>> --
>>

> Efficacious? We'll see. If the governor can get the addicts to keep
> it on the down low she'll be a hero. If not, she has a real political
> problem on her hands. Someone of the boob tube this morning was putting
> the problem in perspective.
>
> "Alcohol is third-leading cause of preventable death in Oregon"
>
> "And in Oregon, problematic drinking is on the rise.
>
> Statewide data shows that more than one in five adults drink
> excessively, defined as both heavy drinking and binge drinking. For men
> that?s more than 15 drinks per week or more than five in one sitting.
> For women, it?s eight drinks per week or four on one occasion.
>
> SEE ALSO: Multnomah County: Paper ID to blame for wrong man declared
> dead
>
> And excessive alcohol use costs the state $4.8 million annually. That?s
> a cost shared by Oregonians; at about $1,100 per person.
>
> But the bottom line is that excessive alcohol use is killing 2,000
> people in Oregon every year."
>
> While this is twice as many people who are killed by opioids, 2,000
> is likely to be significantly conservative.
>
> "That?s six deaths every single day, making alcohol the third leading
> preventable cause of death in Oregon after tobacco and obesity."

So then, when are y'all going to call those a crisis and declare a 90
day state of emergency?

--
bill

Re: Oregon leaders declare 90-day state of emergency in downtown Portland

<upf0eh$1p6ta$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=21835&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#21835

From: ganthony@gmail.org (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Portland
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 20:42:30 -0600
 by: George.Anthony - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 02:42 UTC

On 1/31/2024 5:01 PM, Technobarbarian wrote:
> In article <_MxuN.251315$Ama9.119288@fx12.iad>, redydog@rye.net says...
>>
>> Sounds like a politically efficacious solution to me. They've given
>> themselves 90 days during which all they have to say to anyone who
>> gives a shit is, "We're addressing the crisis and at the end of the
>> day we'll be putting all the tools in our toolbox on the table. Please
>> call back in May". Meanwhile, they can contract some consultants for a
>> few million bucks, hire some more government workers, and ask you for
>> some more money while they wait for a miracle.
>>
>> --
>>

> Efficacious? We'll see. If the governor can get the addicts to keep
> it on the down low she'll be a hero. If not, she has a real political
> problem on her hands. Someone of the boob tube this morning was putting
> the problem in perspective.
>
> "Alcohol is third-leading cause of preventable death in Oregon"
>
> "And in Oregon, problematic drinking is on the rise.
>
> Statewide data shows that more than one in five adults drink
> excessively, defined as both heavy drinking and binge drinking. For men
> that?s more than 15 drinks per week or more than five in one sitting.
> For women, it?s eight drinks per week or four on one occasion.
>
> SEE ALSO: Multnomah County: Paper ID to blame for wrong man declared
> dead
>
> And excessive alcohol use costs the state $4.8 million annually. That?s
> a cost shared by Oregonians; at about $1,100 per person.
>
> But the bottom line is that excessive alcohol use is killing 2,000
> people in Oregon every year."
>
> While this is twice as many people who are killed by opioids, 2,000
> is likely to be significantly conservative.
>
> "That?s six deaths every single day, making alcohol the third leading
> preventable cause of death in Oregon after tobacco and obesity."

Tobacco and alcoholism pretty much go hand in glove. It reminds me of
the Tennessee Ernie song Sixteen Tons. "If the right one don't get you
the left one will". As to obesity, that's pretty much the story all over
the country. I think social media have contributed to that, especially
for the young. It facilitates a sedentary life style. Of course there
are other factors.

--
"There are none so blind as liberals who will not see"

interests / rec.outdoors.rv-travel / Re: Oregon leaders declare 90-day state of emergency in downtown Portland