From: INVALID_SEE_SIG@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Kelvin Kiptum, 24, marathon WR holder
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 05:33:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: J.D. Baldwin - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 05:33 UTC

He came painfully close to breaking the unbelievable 2-hour barrier.

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/11/1230775293/kelvin-kiptum-runner-marathon-world-record-dead-car-crash

Kelvin Kiptum, men's marathon world record holder, dies in a car crash

By Joe Hernandez

The man who set the record for the fastest marathon ever, Kelvin
Kiptum, died in a car crash in his native Kenya on Sunday, the
sports governing body World Athletics said. He was 24.

Kiptum shocked the running world last year when he blazed through
the Chicago Marathon in 2 hours and 35 seconds. World Athletics
had just ratified his historic time this past week.

It was also the first time an athlete had broken 2 hours and 1
minute in a record-eligible marathon.

Kiptum died in the crash alongside his coach, Gervais Hakizimana.

[...]

Kiptum leaves behind his wife, Asenath Rotich, and their two
children, according to Olympics.com.
\ / baldwin@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

interests / alt.obituaries / Kelvin Kiptum, 24, marathon WR holder