From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: [ndnh] What base weapon type is Frostbrand made of?
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 14:17:00 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 12:17 UTC

In my notDNetHack game (version ndnh0515 at Hardfought) I just got a
death-dropped artifact knife; it got identified as "+0 Frost Brand"
and it's listed as in the findings as "Frost Brand [unaligned knife]".
But the source code from the git repository (include/artilist.h) says
"Frost Brand", LONG_SWORD, "ice-runed ...

Now what type of weapon is that artifact? And why that discrepancy
in the descriptions?

Janis

Re: [ndnh] What base weapon type is Frostbrand made of?

<87wmzs5xfx.fsf@noisytoot.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2196&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2196

From: ron@noisytoot.org (Ron Nazarov)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 23:04:34 +0100
sha1:AoihUjyIyubuL7hQNkUraP7qLlI=
 by: Ron Nazarov - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 22:04 UTC

In dNetHack, the base types of Fire and Frost Brand are variable. If
wished for, they can be gauntlets or any bladed weapon excluding
vibroweapons, rakuyos, sets of crow talons, crow quills, crystal swords,
runeswords, and mirrorblades. If gifted, they will always be gauntlets
if you are a monk, otherwise, they can be long swords, sabers,
scimitars, gauntlets, broadswords, axes, khopeshes, wakizashis, short
swords, or athames (with different probabilities). Once the base type
of one of them has been defined, the other will always be of the same
type.