From: technobarbarian@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: There's a need for people to understand
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 07:59:52 -0800
 by: Technobarbarian - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 15:59 UTC

"AUSTIN, Texas ? On Friday morning, a 21-year-old man was sentenced to
13 years in prison for selling pills laced with fentanyl.

Juan Ignacio Soria Gamez, 21, was also sentenced to $4,143 in
restitution that has to be paid during his supervised release of three
years, following his prison sentence. He will also be required to
participate in substance abuse programs.

Gamez was indicted on one count of distribution of fentanyl causing
death, seven counts of distribution of fentanyl and one count of
possession with intent to distribute fentanyl. The normal range of
punishment for those offenses is no less than 20 years and no more than
life, but U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman accepted Gamez? attorney?s
plea agreement that recommended a 156-month, or 13-year, sentence.

Gamez was responsible for selling Tucker Roe a pill that was laced with
fentanyl back in 2021. Roe died after taking the pill.

Roe's mother, Stefanie Turner is the founder of Texas Against Fentanyl
and has been outspoken about getting more fentanyl awareness education
in the state. This past legislative session, Gov. Greg Abbott signed
House Bill 3908, also known as "Tucker's Law." It requires fentanyl
awareness education in Texas public schools.

"If I understood the danger of fentanyl and so did he, we would not be
here today," Turner said on Friday morning after the sentencing. "I
would not be standing here, and my son would be here."

Turner said she was relieved that this prison sentence could deter
people from selling fentanyl-laced pills in the future, but what's
really needed is more awareness and education for young people.

"My son didn't know anything about fentanyl, I didn't know anything
about it," Turner said. "There's a need for people to understand.""

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/juan-gamez-tucker-roe-fentanyl-
sentencing/269-2d8c87db-21a3-4c36-9b2e-6ccc0a7958b3

TB