From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: [ndnh] Cavepeople's quest, Chromatic Dragon, resistances, crowning
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 15:28:43 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 13:28 UTC

A couple questions concerning the quest in notDNethack.

When I first entered the quest goal level with my incantifier
Cavewoman I was astonished, to say the least, by the Chromatic
Dragon's stats; with its HP:~750 it was a frightening appearance
per se, but when it started casting spell, then summoned monsters,
created pits all around to make me immobile - and I suspect it
was also the source of making me turning to stone, so that only
a prayer could save me, since my incantifier race does not allow
to eat [lizard] corpses - it was extremely scary. And despite I
was able to immobilize it with paralysis I didn't manage to kill
it. So I left and intended to return later.

Also I didn't have the intrinsic basic resisatances - how do you
get them when playing incantifiers? -, so I tried to get crowned,
but to no avail. I looked into the source code to see that one
precondition seems to be to have finished the qutest - doh! So
back to the quest without these safety means.

Meanwhile equipped with the randomly found Vorpal Blade - would
its special attack be effective on the Chromatic Dragon? -, also
a ring of conflict, some more HPs (now ~400) from alchemy, boots
of levitation (to escape pits and pools of water), a few potions
of full healing, some more paralysis, and sweat on my forehead,
descended the stairs.

Conflict was handy, since it took the burden from me observing
all these summoned critters. I landed on the stairs with the
burnt (but ineffective) Elbereth engraving. Paralysis worked
well, the Vorpal Blade not very well, the Chromatic Dragon woke
up too early. At some point he vanished - in all that conflict
induced combat messages I haven't seen a message what happened
and feared the worst (that he escaped the place to heal). But
when the jumble calmed down I saw its corpse adjacent.

Picked up the artifact spear, the bell and an uncursed +0 set
of black dragon scales named The Chromatic Dragon Scales.

Now I remember some comment about this armor but don't recall
whether it was for another variant, maybe; can I enchant these
(like in vanilla) to get the respective dragon armor? Or do I
have to merge them with some other armor to become effective?
Will the resulting armor provide "all" resistances or just the
one indicated by its (black) color? Will my incantifier race
(who wasn't able to wear some types of armor) be able to wear
this chromatic dragon armor?

And let me finally add an unrelated question... - I obtained
(from death drops?) "scrolls of sketch of the wings of Garuda";
what do these do? (I cannot find them in the ordinary scrolls
list in the source code.)

Janis