From: technobarbarian@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Man Repeatedly Caught Drug Dealing in Downtown Portland Has Gained Attention of Federal Prosecutors
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 14:12:30 -0800
 by: Technobarbarian - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 22:12 UTC

"Man Repeatedly Caught Drug Dealing in Downtown Portland Has Gained
Attention of Federal Prosecutors
William Stevenson has been arrested 11 times in recent years, and was
often caught selling fentanyl on the same downtown Portland corner."

"By Lucas Manfield
February 15, 2024 at 2:58 pm PST
Federal prosecutors have agreed to pursue charges against a Portland man
repeatedly accused of dealing drugs, police say.

William Stevenson has gained a name for himself, not for the quality or
quantity of drugs that he moves, but rather for his persistence. After
cops repeatedly caught him selling fentanyl in downtown Portland, he?d
be released from jail and do it again, they say, sometimes within days.

WW reported last summer about cops? efforts to stop Stevenson?s alleged
behavior. The failure of the court system to hold drug dealers
accountable has gained attention from state lawmakers, who are
pressuring court officials to change their policies.

Yesterday, after Stevenson was arrested for the 11th time, federal
prosecutors stepped in.

The Portland Police Bureau?s bike squad posted on its Instagram account
that it had caught Stevenson with a gun and a bag of fentanyl on the
corner of Northwest 5th Avenue and Everett Street in Old Town. He had
seven outstanding arrest warrants on gun and drug charges. (Last time he
was caught, in September, with 20 grams of fentanyl in pills and powder,
as well as $158 in cash, he told police ?he carries the firearm for
self-protection and insisted he is an addict, not dealer,? according to
an affidavit filed by prosecutors.)

Stevenson was booked in Multnomah County jail?and this time, he stayed
there."
[snip]

https://www.wweek.com/news/courts/2024/02/15/man-repeatedly-caught-drug-
dealing-in-downtown-portland-has-gained-attention-of-federal-
prosecutors/

TB

Re: Man Repeatedly Caught Drug Dealing in Downtown Portland Has Gained Attention of Federal Prosecutors

<auSzN.230764$vFZa.208877@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=22057&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22057

Subject: Re: Man Repeatedly Caught Drug Dealing in Downtown Portland Has
Gained Attention of Federal Prosecutors
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redydog@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 18:47:18 -0500
 by: bfh - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 23:47 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:

> "Man Repeatedly Caught Drug Dealing in Downtown Portland Has Gained
> Attention of Federal Prosecutors
> William Stevenson has been arrested 11 times in recent years, and was
> often caught selling fentanyl on the same downtown Portland corner."
>
> "By Lucas Manfield
> February 15, 2024 at 2:58 pm PST
> Federal prosecutors have agreed to pursue charges against a Portland man
> repeatedly accused of dealing drugs, police say.
>
> William Stevenson has gained a name for himself, not for the quality or
> quantity of drugs that he moves, but rather for his persistence. After
> cops repeatedly caught him selling fentanyl in downtown Portland, he?d
> be released from jail and do it again, they say, sometimes within days.
>
> WW reported last summer about cops? efforts to stop Stevenson?s alleged
> behavior. The failure of the court system to hold drug dealers
> accountable has gained attention from state lawmakers, who are
> pressuring court officials to change their policies.
>
> Yesterday, after Stevenson was arrested for the 11th time, federal
> prosecutors stepped in.
>
> The Portland Police Bureau?s bike squad posted on its Instagram account
> that it had caught Stevenson with a gun and a bag of fentanyl on the
> corner of Northwest 5th Avenue and Everett Street in Old Town. He had
> seven outstanding arrest warrants on gun and drug charges. (Last time he
> was caught, in September, with 20 grams of fentanyl in pills and powder,
> as well as $158 in cash, he told police ?he carries the firearm for
> self-protection and insisted he is an addict, not dealer,? according to
> an affidavit filed by prosecutors.)
>
> Stevenson was booked in Multnomah County jail?and this time, he stayed
> there."
> [snip]

Only 11 times? That's outrageous.I think they ought to make it at
least an even dozen before they get serious.

--
bill

Re: Man Repeatedly Caught Drug Dealing in Downtown Portland Has Gained Attention of Federal Prosecutors

<MPG.403a7895eafd345598972c@reader80.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=22061&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22061

From: technobarbarian@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:03:30 -0800
 by: Technobarbarian - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 16:03 UTC

In article <auSzN.230764$vFZa.208877@fx13.iad>, redydog@rye.net says...

> Technobarbarian wrote:
> >

> > "Man Repeatedly Caught Drug Dealing in Downtown Portland Has Gained
> > Attention of Federal Prosecutors
> > William Stevenson has been arrested 11 times in recent years, and was
> > often caught selling fentanyl on the same downtown Portland corner."
> >
> > "By Lucas Manfield
> > February 15, 2024 at 2:58 pm PST
> > Federal prosecutors have agreed to pursue charges against a Portland man
> > repeatedly accused of dealing drugs, police say.
> >
> > William Stevenson has gained a name for himself, not for the quality or
> > quantity of drugs that he moves, but rather for his persistence. After
> > cops repeatedly caught him selling fentanyl in downtown Portland, he?d
> > be released from jail and do it again, they say, sometimes within days.
> >
> > WW reported last summer about cops? efforts to stop Stevenson?s alleged
> > behavior. The failure of the court system to hold drug dealers
> > accountable has gained attention from state lawmakers, who are
> > pressuring court officials to change their policies.
> >
> > Yesterday, after Stevenson was arrested for the 11th time, federal
> > prosecutors stepped in.
> >
> > The Portland Police Bureau?s bike squad posted on its Instagram account
> > that it had caught Stevenson with a gun and a bag of fentanyl on the
> > corner of Northwest 5th Avenue and Everett Street in Old Town. He had
> > seven outstanding arrest warrants on gun and drug charges. (Last time he
> > was caught, in September, with 20 grams of fentanyl in pills and powder,
> > as well as $158 in cash, he told police ?he carries the firearm for
> > self-protection and insisted he is an addict, not dealer,? according to
> > an affidavit filed by prosecutors.)
> >
> > Stevenson was booked in Multnomah County jail?and this time, he stayed
> > there."
> > [snip]
>
> Only 11 times? That's outrageous.I think they ought to make it at
> least an even dozen before they get serious.
>
> > https://www.wweek.com/news/courts/2024/02/15/man-repeatedly-caught-drug-
> > dealing-in-downtown-portland-has-gained-attention-of-federal-
> > prosecutors/
> >
> > TB

Heck, they ain't even got a mission statement yet and you're already
to start locking people up. Where's the data? Where's the goals?

"Some Multnomah County commissioners are 'alarmed' at what's been done
two weeks into the 90-day fentanyl emergency

One commissioner proposed an amendment to the emergency calling for
urgency and a clear set of goals. It was voted down."

"PORTLAND, Ore. ? The Multnomah County commissioners got an update
during a regularly scheduled board meeting on the work that?s been done
so far after the county declared a 90-day fentanyl emergency, leaving
some of them speechless ? and not in a good way.

?I was very underwhelmed by the briefing that we got on the fentanyl
emergency,? said Commissioner Sharon Meieran.

?There was no data, no goals, no specific actions,? added Commissioner
Julia Brim-Edwards.

Two weeks ago, Oregon Gov. Tina Kotek, the Multnomah County Chair
Jessica Vega Pederson and Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler declared a fentanyl
emergency in Portland?s central city. Shortly after, Pederson expanded
it to include all of Multnomah County.

Though there was an update on the new downtown incident command center
to track data around fentanyl use, commissioners said some of the roles
have yet to be filled and jobs still need to be assigned.

?What there was instead were discussions about process talking about how
there had been some briefings ? They have not even developed a mission
statement,? Meieran said."

"The governor also told KGW there are important talks happening between
the city, county and state. She is waiting for the 90 days to be up and
hoping for a plan on how to attack the deadly crisis."

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/homeless/multnomah-county-90-day-
fentanyl-emergency-progress/283-617f4747-9cf6-4bf3-818d-9d3d8b101d8c

TB

Re: Man Repeatedly Caught Drug Dealing in Downtown Portland Has Gained Attention of Federal Prosecutors

<vI6AN.338519$Wp_8.216916@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=22062&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22062

Gained Attention of Federal Prosecutors
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redydog@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 13:14:51 -0500
 by: bfh - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 18:14 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:
> In article <auSzN.230764$vFZa.208877@fx13.iad>, redydog@rye.net says...
>>
>> Technobarbarian wrote:
>>>

>>> "Man Repeatedly Caught Drug Dealing in Downtown Portland Has Gained
>>> Attention of Federal Prosecutors
>>> William Stevenson has been arrested 11 times in recent years, and was
>>> often caught selling fentanyl on the same downtown Portland corner."
>>>
>>> "By Lucas Manfield
>>> February 15, 2024 at 2:58 pm PST
>>> Federal prosecutors have agreed to pursue charges against a Portland man
>>> repeatedly accused of dealing drugs, police say.
>>>
>>> William Stevenson has gained a name for himself, not for the quality or
>>> quantity of drugs that he moves, but rather for his persistence. After
>>> cops repeatedly caught him selling fentanyl in downtown Portland, he?d
>>> be released from jail and do it again, they say, sometimes within days.
>>>
>>> WW reported last summer about cops? efforts to stop Stevenson?s alleged
>>> behavior. The failure of the court system to hold drug dealers
>>> accountable has gained attention from state lawmakers, who are
>>> pressuring court officials to change their policies.
>>>
>>> Yesterday, after Stevenson was arrested for the 11th time, federal
>>> prosecutors stepped in.
>>>
>>> The Portland Police Bureau?s bike squad posted on its Instagram account
>>> that it had caught Stevenson with a gun and a bag of fentanyl on the
>>> corner of Northwest 5th Avenue and Everett Street in Old Town. He had
>>> seven outstanding arrest warrants on gun and drug charges. (Last time he
>>> was caught, in September, with 20 grams of fentanyl in pills and powder,
>>> as well as $158 in cash, he told police ?he carries the firearm for
>>> self-protection and insisted he is an addict, not dealer,? according to
>>> an affidavit filed by prosecutors.)
>>>
>>> Stevenson was booked in Multnomah County jail?and this time, he stayed
>>> there."
>>> [snip]
>>
>> Only 11 times? That's outrageous.I think they ought to make it at
>> least an even dozen before they get serious.
>>
>>> https://www.wweek.com/news/courts/2024/02/15/man-repeatedly-caught-drug-
>>> dealing-in-downtown-portland-has-gained-attention-of-federal-
>>> prosecutors/
>>>
>>> TB
>>>

> Heck, they ain't even got a mission statement yet and you're already
> to start locking people up.

Moi? I just said they should give the guy at least one more freebie.

> Where's the data? Where's the goals?

You're asking me? It ain't my job to fix awreegahn. I don't even vote
out there. Besides, y'all are only "two weeks into the 90-day fentanyl
emergency". Give 'em a break, why doncha? There is significance in the
passage of time, you know?

> "Some Multnomah County commissioners are 'alarmed' at what's been done
> two weeks into the 90-day fentanyl emergency
>
> One commissioner proposed an amendment to the emergency calling for
> urgency and a clear set of goals. It was voted down."

Goals, schmoals. You don't need no steenkin' goals. You just need
better, like, you know, messaging?

--
bill

Re: Man Repeatedly Caught Drug Dealing in Downtown Portland Has Gained Attention of Federal Prosecutors

<MPG.403ab6fa3ed37fb98972f@reader80.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=22069&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22069

From: technobarbarian@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 12:29:17 -0800
 by: Technobarbarian - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 20:29 UTC

In article <vI6AN.338519$Wp_8.216916@fx17.iad>, redydog@rye.net says...

> > Heck, they ain't even got a mission statement yet and you're already
> > to start locking people up.
>
> Moi? I just said they should give the guy at least one more freebie.
>
> > Where's the data? Where's the goals?
>
> You're asking me? It ain't my job to fix awreegahn. I don't even vote
> out there. Besides, y'all are only "two weeks into the 90-day fentanyl
> emergency". Give 'em a break, why doncha? There is significance in the
> passage of time, you know?
>
> > "Some Multnomah County commissioners are 'alarmed' at what's been done
> > two weeks into the 90-day fentanyl emergency
> >
> > One commissioner proposed an amendment to the emergency calling for
> > urgency and a clear set of goals. It was voted down."
>
> Goals, schmoals. You don't need no steenkin' goals. You just need
> better, like, you know, messaging?

The people who live in Portland have the dubious advantage of
multiple layers of closely adjacent government. Multnomah county is only
slightly larger than the city, and it's only one of 4 counties in the
metropolitan area. The Multnomah county commission is the source of a
lot of political theater. The article I posted is a good example of
this.

Oour current governor did not get the majority of the vote in her
election. The retrumplicans split their vote between a pro-gun, pro-
choice loon and an anti-choice loon. Neither one of them could go full
magaloon because that's political death here. If they hadn't split the
vote we would probably have an anti-choice retrumplican governor in a
very pro-choice Democrat state. So, Kotek is sort of an easy target.
Traditionally the people on the Multnomah county commission who are
making the most noise are using their office to run for a more powerful
position.

The governor has her neck stuck out. Most likely because she's
running for the Senate, down the road, in the passage of time. No matter
how her gamble turns out there are going to be a lot of people
complaining about the results. By this time next year I expect there
will at least be talk of a recall election and maybe the beginnings of a
petition drive. I expect that we will hear a lot more about this because
Fakes News will be amplifying the complaints.

(The next thing you know jive ass will be telling us that Jesus
saves, because Fakes News says so.)

TB

Re: Man Repeatedly Caught Drug Dealing in Downtown Portland Has Gained Attention of Federal Prosecutors

<Fb9AN.232236$yEgf.56517@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=22070&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22070

Gained Attention of Federal Prosecutors
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redydog@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 16:04:37 -0500
 by: bfh - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 21:04 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:
> In article <vI6AN.338519$Wp_8.216916@fx17.iad>, redydog@rye.net says...

>>> Heck, they ain't even got a mission statement yet and you're already
>>> to start locking people up.
>>
>> Moi? I just said they should give the guy at least one more freebie.
>>
>>> Where's the data? Where's the goals?
>>
>> You're asking me? It ain't my job to fix awreegahn. I don't even vote
>> out there. Besides, y'all are only "two weeks into the 90-day fentanyl
>> emergency". Give 'em a break, why doncha? There is significance in the
>> passage of time, you know?
>>
>>> "Some Multnomah County commissioners are 'alarmed' at what's been done
>>> two weeks into the 90-day fentanyl emergency
>>>
>>> One commissioner proposed an amendment to the emergency calling for
>>> urgency and a clear set of goals. It was voted down."
>>
>> Goals, schmoals. You don't need no steenkin' goals. You just need
>> better, like, you know, messaging?
>>

> The people who live in Portland have the dubious advantage of
> multiple layers of closely adjacent government. Multnomah county is only
> slightly larger than the city, and it's only one of 4 counties in the
> metropolitan area. The Multnomah county commission is the source of a
> lot of political theater. The article I posted is a good example of
> this.
>
> Oour current governor did not get the majority of the vote in her
> election. The retrumplicans split their vote between a pro-gun, pro-
> choice loon and an anti-choice loon. Neither one of them could go full
> magaloon because that's political death here. If they hadn't split the
> vote we would probably have an anti-choice retrumplican governor in a
> very pro-choice Democrat state. So, Kotek is sort of an easy target.
> Traditionally the people on the Multnomah county commission who are
> making the most noise are using their office to run for a more powerful
> position.
>
> The governor has her neck stuck out. Most likely because she's
> running for the Senate, down the road, in the passage of time. No matter
> how her gamble turns out there are going to be a lot of people
> complaining about the results. By this time next year I expect there
> will at least be talk of a recall election and maybe the beginnings of a
> petition drive. I expect that we will hear a lot more about this because
> Fakes News will be amplifying the complaints.

Y'all listen to Fakes News out there? damn. That's a surprise.

--
bill