From: technobarbarian@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Year of the Dragon celebrated in downtown Portland
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 07:32:58 -0800
 by: Technobarbarian - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:32 UTC

"The eighth annual Lunar New Year Dragon Dance and Celebration organized
by the Portland Chinatown Museum and presented with the Oregon
Historical Society kicked off in downtown Portland Saturday morning.

Attendees enjoyed entertainment by local lion dance teams and a parade
that featured two dragons around 100 feet long. The parade started near
the Chinatown Gateway at Northwest Fourth Avenue and West Burnside
Street and ended at the Oregon Historical Society on Southwest Park
Avenue."

https://www.oregonlive.com/living/2024/02/lunar-new-year-2024-year-of-
the-dragon-celebrated-in-downtown-portland-photos.html

TB

Re: Year of the Dragon celebrated in downtown Portland

<uqt88e$18q79$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=22080&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22080

From: ganthony@gmail.net (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:37:50 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:GZG4lhga8zQPuYNLCSNh5EIBb14=
 by: George.Anthony - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:37 UTC

Technobarbarian <technobarbarian@gmail.com> wrote:

> "The eighth annual Lunar New Year Dragon Dance and Celebration organized
> by the Portland Chinatown Museum and presented with the Oregon
> Historical Society kicked off in downtown Portland Saturday morning.
>
> Attendees enjoyed entertainment by local lion dance teams and a parade
> that featured two dragons around 100 feet long. The parade started near
> the Chinatown Gateway at Northwest Fourth Avenue and West Burnside
> Street and ended at the Oregon Historical Society on Southwest Park
> Avenue."
>
> https://www.oregonlive.com/living/2024/02/lunar-new-year-2024-year-of-
> the-dragon-celebrated-in-downtown-portland-photos.html
>
> TB

Sounds like cultural appropriation to me.

--
One out of three Biden voters is just as clueless as the other two.

Re: Year of the Dragon celebrated in downtown Portland

<MPG.403be4cec3313af2989735@reader80.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=22083&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22083

From: technobarbarian@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 09:57:31 -0800
 by: Technobarbarian - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 17:57 UTC

In article <uqt88e$18q79$1@dont-email.me>, ganthony@gmail.net says...

> Technobarbarian <technobarbarian@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > "The eighth annual Lunar New Year Dragon Dance and Celebration organized
> > by the Portland Chinatown Museum and presented with the Oregon
> > Historical Society kicked off in downtown Portland Saturday morning.
> >
> > Attendees enjoyed entertainment by local lion dance teams and a parade
> > that featured two dragons around 100 feet long. The parade started near
> > the Chinatown Gateway at Northwest Fourth Avenue and West Burnside
> > Street and ended at the Oregon Historical Society on Southwest Park
> > Avenue."
> >
> > https://www.oregonlive.com/living/2024/02/lunar-new-year-2024-year-of-
> > the-dragon-celebrated-in-downtown-portland-photos.html
> >
> > TB
> >

> Sounds like cultural appropriation to me.

That's because you're culturally ignorant.

"In the 1850s, the California Gold Rush attracted emigrants from
Southern China to the American West, including Oregon. They fled the
hardships of their homeland in search of a better life in the United
States, mainly working in gold mines, coastal fisheries and railroads.
The men who emigrated from China were not allowed to bring their
families, due to strict American immigration laws, and were subjected to
extreme racism and discrimination. The Chinese Consolidated Benevolent
Association (CCBA) was set up to protect these immigrants.

After the great flood in 1894, Portland was rebuilt, and many Chinese
people moved from what had been Chinatown, at Southwest Second Avenue
and Oak Street, north side of Burnside, where today?s Old Town Chinatown
is located.

By the 1900s, Portland had the second-largest Chinatown on the West
Coast, and 12 percent of the entire city?s population was Chinese. The
buildings housed restaurants, Chinese opera theaters, grocers and herbal
shops that catered to the Chinese population. Today, Portland?s
Chinatown is a tourist destination rather than a Chinese enclave.

In the past decade, Chinese immigration to Portland has grown rapidly.
The newer generations of immigrants come over as families, are more
educated, and have economic power. Many live and work in the Jade
District and areas between Southeast Powell Boulevard and Division
Street around 82nd Avenue, which is considered the ?New Chinatown.?

https://www.travelportland.com/culture/chinese-american/#:~:text=By%
20the%201900s%2C%20Portland%20had,catered%20to%20the%20Chinese%
20population.

You can still find genuine ethnic food in old town, but for the
best selection you should head to the Jade district. Even out here in
little ol' Tigard, we have several large grocery stores that specialize
in Asian food. Us White guys are a minority in there. I shop there for
items that are hard to find at other stores.

There are also a lot of sources for traditional Chinese medicine
here.

Top 10 Best Traditional Chinese Medicine Near Portland

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=tcm&find_loc=Portland%2C+OR

TB

Re: Year of the Dragon celebrated in downtown Portland

<uqu79o$1h0sd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=22088&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22088

From: ganthony@gmail.net (George Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 18:27:38 -0600
 by: George Anthony - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 00:27 UTC

On 2/18/2024 11:57 AM, Technobarbarian wrote:
> [...]
> educated, and have economic power. Many live and work in the Jade
> District and areas between Southeast Powell Boulevard and Division
> Street around 82nd Avenue, which is considered the ?New Chinatown.?
>
> https://www.travelportland.com/culture/chinese-american/#:~:text=By%
> 20the%201900s%2C%20Portland%20had,catered%20to%20the%20Chinese%
> 20population.
>
> You can still find genuine ethnic food in old town, but for the
> best selection you should head to the Jade district. Even out here in
> little ol' Tigard, we have several large grocery stores that specialize
> in Asian food. Us White guys are a minority in there. I shop there for
> items that are hard to find at other stores.
>
> There are also a lot of sources for traditional Chinese medicine
> here.
>
> Top 10 Best Traditional Chinese Medicine Near Portland

You prove the adage that liberals have no sense of humor. You can't
recognize tongue-in-cheek humor when it slaps you in the face. I guess
it's because you are humor ignorant.

Re: Year of the Dragon celebrated in downtown Portland

<MPG.403c45e8a68bdd1a989739@reader80.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=22089&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22089

From: technobarbarian@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 16:51:20 -0800
 by: Technobarbarian - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 00:51 UTC

In article <uqu79o$1h0sd$1@dont-email.me>, ganthony@gmail.net says...

> On 2/18/2024 11:57 AM, Technobarbarian wrote:

> >> Sounds like cultural appropriation to me.
> >
> > That's because you're culturally ignorant.
> >
> > "In the 1850s, the California Gold Rush attracted emigrants from
> > Southern China to the American West, including Oregon. They fled the
> > hardships of their homeland in search of a better life in the United
> > States, mainly working in gold mines, coastal fisheries and railroads.
> > The men who emigrated from China were not allowed to bring their
> > families, due to strict American immigration laws, and were subjected to
> > extreme racism and discrimination. The Chinese Consolidated Benevolent
> > Association (CCBA) was set up to protect these immigrants.
> >
> > After the great flood in 1894, Portland was rebuilt, and many Chinese
> > people moved from what had been Chinatown, at Southwest Second Avenue
> > and Oak Street, north side of Burnside, where today?s Old Town Chinatown
> > is located.
> >
> > By the 1900s, Portland had the second-largest Chinatown on the West
> > Coast, and 12 percent of the entire city?s population was Chinese. The
> > buildings housed restaurants, Chinese opera theaters, grocers and herbal
> > shops that catered to the Chinese population. Today, Portland?s
> > Chinatown is a tourist destination rather than a Chinese enclave.
> >
> > In the past decade, Chinese immigration to Portland has grown rapidly.
> > The newer generations of immigrants come over as families, are more
> > educated, and have economic power. Many live and work in the Jade

Ok, so it's a culturally ignorant "joke". Same difference.

TB

Re: Year of the Dragon celebrated in downtown Portland

<uqu99p$1hcpg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=22090&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22090

From: ganthony@gmail.net (George Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 19:01:47 -0600
 by: George Anthony - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 01:01 UTC

On 2/18/2024 6:51 PM, Technobarbarian wrote:
> In article <uqu79o$1h0sd$1@dont-email.me>, ganthony@gmail.net says...
>>
>> On 2/18/2024 11:57 AM, Technobarbarian wrote:
>>> In article <uqt88e$18q79$1@dont-email.me>, ganthony@gmail.net says...

>>> That's because you're culturally ignorant.
>>>
>>> "In the 1850s, the California Gold Rush attracted emigrants from
>>> Southern China to the American West, including Oregon. They fled the
>>> hardships of their homeland in search of a better life in the United
>>> States, mainly working in gold mines, coastal fisheries and railroads.
>>> The men who emigrated from China were not allowed to bring their
>>> families, due to strict American immigration laws, and were subjected to
>>> extreme racism and discrimination. The Chinese Consolidated Benevolent
>>> Association (CCBA) was set up to protect these immigrants.
>>>
>>> After the great flood in 1894, Portland was rebuilt, and many Chinese
>>> people moved from what had been Chinatown, at Southwest Second Avenue
>>> and Oak Street, north side of Burnside, where today?s Old Town Chinatown
>>> is located.
>>>
>>> By the 1900s, Portland had the second-largest Chinatown on the West
>>> Coast, and 12 percent of the entire city?s population was Chinese. The
>>> buildings housed restaurants, Chinese opera theaters, grocers and herbal
>>> shops that catered to the Chinese population. Today, Portland?s
>>> Chinatown is a tourist destination rather than a Chinese enclave.
>>>
>>> In the past decade, Chinese immigration to Portland has grown rapidly.
>>> The newer generations of immigrants come over as families, are more
>>> educated, and have economic power. Many live and work in the Jade
>
> Ok, so it's a culturally ignorant "joke". Same difference.
>
> TB

Keep digging, you must be close to China by now.