From: technobarbarian@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Everything that gives life meaning
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 10:08:11 -0800
 by: Technobarbarian - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:08 UTC

One of the big news stories here comes from Portland's, almost
forgotten, but not really, north of the river, and the border, suburb-
Vancouver. The Evergreen school district is being forced to cut their
budget by around $20 million dollars. They have no choice. There are no
magic tricks and the staff is still figuring out what they have to do to
stay within their budget. Naturally, some of the parents are all excited
because they don't know what's being cut--yet. Oh my goodness. One of
the parents is afraid they will cut "everything that gives life
meaning."

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/education/evergreen-public-school-20-
million-potential-budget-cuts/283-1f2dc844-d516-43c3-87d5-c209a56330b8

None of the easy to locate news stories tells you what this
actually means. How big is this cut really? After 2 years of reductions,
they are reducing the budget again this year by less than 5%.

"Evergreen School District spends $15,794 per student each year. It has
an annual revenue of $419,782,000. Overall, the district spends $8,868.2
million on instruction, $5,270.9 million on support services and $282.8
million on other expenses."

https://www.usnews.com/education/k12/washington/districts/evergreen-
school-district-clark-104044

"The student body at the schools served by Evergreen School District is
51.1% White, 3.2% Black, 6% Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander, 27%
Hispanic/Latino, 0.4% American Indian or Alaska Native, and 2.6% Native
Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander. In addition, 9.2% of students are
two or more races, and 0% have not specified their race or ethnicity.

Also, 47% of students are female, and 52% of students are male. At
schools in Evergreen School District, 36.4% of students are eligible to
participate in the federal free and reduced price meal program and 17.6%
of students are English language learners."

"Within Evergreen School District, 100.0% of teachers are licensed, and
97.0% have three or more years of experience. The student-to-teacher
ratio is lower than the state average, at 17:1. The district has 27
full-time counselors on staff."

This means that they will reduce annual spending per student to
around $15K. If I read the news correctly the people there have voted
against a new school levy twice. The local news is more interested in
showing us panicked parents than telling the whole story.

TB

Re: Everything that gives life meaning

<urm1bn$3gg1j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=22162&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22162

From: ganthony@gmail.net (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Everything that gives life meaning
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 01:13:27 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:IomueE9a5qUuXRR4i31xQgvTFps=
 by: George.Anthony - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 01:13 UTC

Technobarbarian <technobarbarian@gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the big news stories here comes from Portland's, almost
> forgotten, but not really, north of the river, and the border, suburb-
> Vancouver. The Evergreen school district is being forced to cut their
> budget by around $20 million dollars. They have no choice. There are no
> magic tricks and the staff is still figuring out what they have to do to
> stay within their budget. Naturally, some of the parents are all excited
> because they don't know what's being cut--yet. Oh my goodness. One of
> the parents is afraid they will cut "everything that gives life
> meaning."

To the parents or the students? So many parents live vicariously through
their kids.

--
One out of three Biden voters is just as clueless as the other two.