Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 23:00:25 +0000
Subject: John Bell, 100, last surviving British wartime member of the famous
Damusters
From: mig73allenford2002@yahoo.co.uk (Mig.Rhodes)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
 by: Mig.Rhodes - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 23:00 UTC

Wing Commander John Bell, who has died a week before his 101st birthday, was the last surviving British wartime member of the famous 617 “Dambuster” Squadron, in which he served as a bomb aimer on some of the squadron’s most important raids...

At 6ft 4in, Bell was thought too tall to be a pilot, so he was trained as an observer and then as a bomb aimer destined for Bomber Command

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2024/03/21/wing-commander-john-bell-raf-617-squadron-dambusters-war/