Please don't put a strain on our friendship by asking me to do something for you.

interests / rec.games.roguelike.nethack / How do i play NetHack ?

SubjectAuthor
* How do i play NetHack ?Sudo
`* How do i play NetHack ?John McCue
 `* How do i play NetHack ?Janis Papanagnou
  `* How do i play NetHack ?Sudo
   +* How do i play NetHack ?Janis Papanagnou
   |`* How do i play NetHack ?Benjamin Heiligenbrunner
   | `* How do i play NetHack ?Sudo
   |  `* How do i play NetHack ?Janis Papanagnou
   |   +- How do i play NetHack ?Benjamin Heiligenbrunner
   |   `- How do i play NetHack ?Sudo
   `- How do i play NetHack ?B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

1
How do i play NetHack ?

<ubikc1$3al7r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2270&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2270

From: sudo@sept.org (Sudo)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: How do i play NetHack ?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 15:52:46 +0200
 by: Sudo - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 13:52 UTC

Hi, as i'm new to this ASCII game, i would like to know how do i play it.

I'm quite confused at what keyboard shortcut i have to use. It looks like a
fun game although.

Thanks.

Re: How do i play NetHack ?

<ubio69$3b9cn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2271&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2271

From: jmccue@magnetar.jmcunx.com (John McCue)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: Re: How do i play NetHack ?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 14:58:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John McCue - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 14:58 UTC

Sudo <sudo@sept.org> wrote:
> Hi, as i'm new to this ASCII game, i would like to know
> how do i play it.
>
> I'm quite confused at what keyboard shortcut i have to use.
> It looks like a fun game although.

Yes it is lots of fun, you can do this to learn by
using a built in tutorial:

Create an account, see:

https://www.hardfought.org/nethack/

That also has some playing instructions, and this wiki
can help too:

https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/NetHack

Then use ssh and login and select option
NetHack 3.7.0-hdf

I would first let it create a character for you, then you
will be asked if you want to play in tutorial mode.
Select yes and off you go :)

> Thanks.

Good Luck nad have fun!

--
[t]csh(1) - "An elegant shell, for a more... civilized age."
- Paraphrasing Star Wars

Re: How do i play NetHack ?

<ubirkl$3bs6h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2272&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2272

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 17:57:08 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 15:57 UTC

On 16.08.2023 16:58, John McCue wrote:
> Sudo <sudo@sept.org> wrote:
>> Hi, as i'm new to this ASCII game, i would like to know
>> how do i play it.
>>
>> I'm quite confused at what keyboard shortcut i have to use.
>> It looks like a fun game although.

I would suggest to read the guidebook that comes with Nethack
first. In the game there's some builtin quick help function
that you can start interrogate with the '?' command; one help
option is also the commands and keyboard keys to invoke them.

> Yes it is lots of fun, you can do this to learn by
> using a built in tutorial:

This is also a good recommendation; just recently I found it
in some Nethack variant first. The tutorial is well written
and it can (at least in that variant) also be interrogated
by chapters interactively in case you want to re-read some
of the on-the-fly information.

> [...]
>
> I would first let it create a character for you, then you
> will be asked if you want to play in tutorial mode.
> Select yes and off you go :)

Janis

Re: How do i play NetHack ?

<ubj13f$3cr1m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2273&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2273

From: sudo@sept.org (Sudo)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 19:29:10 +0200
 by: Sudo - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 17:29 UTC

Ah ok thanks haha, i'm just trying to find a version that works with Windows
95 (as i'm writing this off Windows 95 actually.)

-sudolinux64, Adam.
"Janis Papanagnou" <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message
news: ubirkl$3bs6h$1@dont-email.me...
> On 16.08.2023 16:58, John McCue wrote:
> > Sudo <sudo@sept.org> wrote:
> >> Hi, as i'm new to this ASCII game, i would like to know
> >> how do i play it.
> >>
> >> I'm quite confused at what keyboard shortcut i have to use.
> >> It looks like a fun game although.
>
> I would suggest to read the guidebook that comes with Nethack
> first. In the game there's some builtin quick help function
> that you can start interrogate with the '?' command; one help
> option is also the commands and keyboard keys to invoke them.
>

> > Yes it is lots of fun, you can do this to learn by
> > using a built in tutorial:
>
> This is also a good recommendation; just recently I found it
> in some Nethack variant first. The tutorial is well written
> and it can (at least in that variant) also be interrogated
> by chapters interactively in case you want to re-read some
> of the on-the-fly information.
>
> > [...]
> >
> > I would first let it create a character for you, then you
> > will be asked if you want to play in tutorial mode.
> > Select yes and off you go :)
>
> Janis

Re: How do i play NetHack ?

<ubj1gr$3cspq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2274&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2274

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 19:37:30 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 17:37 UTC

On 16.08.2023 19:29, Sudo wrote:
> Ah ok thanks haha, i'm just trying to find a version that works with Windows
> 95 (as i'm writing this off Windows 95 actually.)

Oh, Win95, that's certainly a surprising platform that you choose
to use.

I'd anyway start following John McCue's advice to play on a server.
You only need some terminal program[*] in that case.

Good luck! :-)

Janis

[*] Terminal programs should be available also for Win95, I suppose.
For the Hardfought servers you need a secure connection (ssh access).
Unfortunately I cannot help you for questions concerning Windows[TM].

Re: How do i play NetHack ?

<ubj51r$3dd21$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2275&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2275

From: benjamin.heibru@gmail.com (Benjamin Heiligenbrunner)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 20:37:47 +0200
 by: Benjamin Heiligenbru - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 18:37 UTC

16.08.2023 19:37 — Janis Papanagnou:
> On 16.08.2023 19:29, Sudo wrote:
>> Ah ok thanks haha, i'm just trying to find a version that works with Windows
>> 95 (as i'm writing this off Windows 95 actually.)
> Oh, Win95, that's certainly a surprising platform that you choose
> to use.
>
> I'd anyway start following John McCue's advice to play on a server.
> You only need some terminal program[*] in that case.
>
> Good luck! :-)
>
> Janis
>
> [*] Terminal programs should be available also for Win95, I suppose.
> For the Hardfought servers you need a secure connection (ssh access).
> Unfortunately I cannot help you for questions concerning Windows[TM].

This site [1] seems to have what you seek. There's a "popular version"
from 2005 available there; I guess that should work but I haven't tested
it. I just hope the Hardfought server still accepts some of the
authentication and encryption protocols that were in use at that time…
Probably best feel your way back or forward between the PuTTY versions
available until one works for you.

And of course, I have to say that connecting such a computer to the
Internet is a major risk in itself. Although probably a smaller one
than with e.g. Windows NT, since the network stack in 95 was just an
add-on to the operating system, and isn't too deeply integrated.

BTW, I just saw there's still a download of Nethack 3.4.3 for Windows 95
available here [2]. That version was the only one available for ~10
years, so there should still be enough knowledge (and all those old
spoiler text files…) available. Although of course you'll miss the bug
fixes, improvements, and changes implemented since then.

Benjamin

1. http://www.oldversion.com/windows/putty/
2. https://nethack.org/v343/downloads.html

--
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires.
Seek discipline and find your liberty.

Re: How do i play NetHack ?

<ubj8qg$3dtvc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2276&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2276

From: sudo@sept.org (Sudo)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 21:41:52 +0200
 by: Sudo - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 19:41 UTC

"Benjamin Heiligenbrunner" <benjamin.heibru@gmail.com> a �crit dans le
message news: ubj51r$3dd21$1@dont-email.me...
> 16.08.2023 19:37 - Janis Papanagnou:
> > On 16.08.2023 19:29, Sudo wrote:
> >> Ah ok thanks haha, i'm just trying to find a version that works with
Windows
> >> 95 (as i'm writing this off Windows 95 actually.)
> > Oh, Win95, that's certainly a surprising platform that you choose
> > to use.
> >
> > I'd anyway start following John McCue's advice to play on a server.
> > You only need some terminal program[*] in that case.
> >
> > Good luck! :-)
> >
> > Janis
> >
> > [*] Terminal programs should be available also for Win95, I suppose.
> > For the Hardfought servers you need a secure connection (ssh access).
> > Unfortunately I cannot help you for questions concerning Windows[TM].
>
> This site [1] seems to have what you seek. There's a "popular version"
> from 2005 available there; I guess that should work but I haven't tested
> it. I just hope the Hardfought server still accepts some of the
> authentication and encryption protocols that were in use at that time.
> Probably best feel your way back or forward between the PuTTY versions
> available until one works for you.
>
> And of course, I have to say that connecting such a computer to the
> Internet is a major risk in itself. Although probably a smaller one
> than with e.g. Windows NT, since the network stack in 95 was just an
> add-on to the operating system, and isn't too deeply integrated.
>
> BTW, I just saw there's still a download of Nethack 3.4.3 for Windows 95
> available here [2]. That version was the only one available for ~10
> years, so there should still be enough knowledge (and all those old
> spoiler text files.) available. Although of course you'll miss the bug
> fixes, improvements, and changes implemented since then.
>
> Benjamin
>

> 1. http://www.oldversion.com/windows/putty/
> 2. https://nethack.org/v343/downloads.html
>

> --
> Seek freedom and become captive of your desires.
> Seek discipline and find your liberty.
> -- Frank Herbert, Dune Chronicles

well yeah i can indeed understand for Windows 95 haha, but no worries, this
isn't my Main PC (which is on Linux) This is my secondary PC, i use it
reguarlarly to play older games.

Anyways, thanks for those links !

-sudolinux, Adam.

Re: How do i play NetHack ?

<4vqtj4qiwsgu$.dlg@br-ederson.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2277&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2277

From: use.replyto@this.is.invalid (B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 22:08:58 +0200
 by: B. R. 'BeAr - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 20:08 UTC

On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 19:29:10 +0200, Sudo wrote:

First:
> How do i play NetHack ?

Carefully, addictively and most of all happily. ;-)

> i'm just trying to find a version that works with Windows 95

Just tested the latest non-beta vanilla Nethack 3.6.7 DOS version on DOS 5.0
without any adjustments. And it worked out of the box. I had to forcibly
withdraw from the game on level 5 with full health, lots of fine equipment,
an altar for each deity (level 1, 2, and 4; the latest having the correct
alignment), and so on. The game /really/ likes to lure the player in. And
in a false sense of early achievement... ;-)

https://www.nethack.org/v367/ports/download-msdos.html

The current Windows port doesn't work on Win95. But the DOS port does.
I transferred my above mentioned DOS game to a pristine Win95 setup.
(First non-beta release.) And it started inside a DOS command window
without problems and fired up my saved game like a breeze.

Happy hacking!
BeAr
= What do you mean with: "Perfection is always an illusion"? =
===============================================================--(Oops!)===

Re: How do i play NetHack ?

<ubjas2$3e607$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2278&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2278

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 22:17:06 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 20:17 UTC

On 16.08.2023 21:41, Sudo wrote:

> well yeah i can indeed understand for Windows 95 haha, but no worries, this
> isn't my Main PC (which is on Linux) This is my secondary PC, i use it
> reguarlarly to play older games.

Hey, if you have a Linux computer... - there's no need to play a
(conceptually) "old" game on an old system. Linux is fine and a
guarantee that it works out of the box.

Janis

Re: How do i play NetHack ?

<ubkcc8$3lt8k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2279&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2279

From: benjamin.heibru@gmail.com (Benjamin Heiligenbrunner)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 07:48:56 +0200
 by: Benjamin Heiligenbru - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 05:48 UTC

16.08.2023 — 22:17:
> On 16.08.2023 21:41, Sudo wrote:
>> well yeah i can indeed understand for Windows 95 haha, but no worries, this
>> isn't my Main PC (which is on Linux) This is my secondary PC, i use it
>> reguarlarly to play older games.
> Hey, if you have a Linux computer... - there's no need to play a
> (conceptually) "old" game on an old system. Linux is fine and a
> guarantee that it works out of the box.
On a Linux system, there's a very good chance that you can simply
install Nethack with the default package management system of your
distribution. :-)

Benjamin

--
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires.
Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-- Frank Herbert, Dune Chronicles

Re: How do i play NetHack ?

<ubkhpm$3mmls$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2280&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2280

From: sudo@sept.org (Sudo)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:20:54 +0200
 by: Sudo - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 07:20 UTC

"Janis Papanagnou" <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message
news: ubjas2$3e607$1@dont-email.me...
> On 16.08.2023 21:41, Sudo wrote:
> >
> > well yeah i can indeed understand for Windows 95 haha, but no worries,
this
> > isn't my Main PC (which is on Linux) This is my secondary PC, i use it
> > reguarlarly to play older games.
>
> Hey, if you have a Linux computer... - there's no need to play a
> (conceptually) "old" game on an old system. Linux is fine and a
> guarantee that it works out of the box.
>
> Janis

Well, i'm quite used to the Windows interface, but hey i guess that would be
more faster to use Linux for playing the game.

-sudolinux, Adam.