If you had any brains, you'd be dangerous.

interests / rec.games.roguelike.nethack / Re: stashing in Gehennom

SubjectAuthor
* stashing in GehennomYosemite Sam
`* stashing in GehennomJanis Papanagnou
 `* stashing in GehennomYosemite Sam
  `- stashing in GehennomJanis Papanagnou

1
stashing in Gehennom

<f6d4a024-864e-4e3e-a4bf-dae1332de3d8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2326&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2326

Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 19:46:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: stashing in Gehennom
From: niodoru@hotmail.com (Yosemite Sam)
 by: Yosemite Sam - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 02:46 UTC

I usually set up about three stashes in the Dungeons of Doom. I carry everything eventually to the lowest stash.

Gehennom isn't being friendly about stashing. The distance has grown
between stashes (levels are serpentine labyrinths), and also I have amassed
quite a collection in my third stash, such that it is too heavy to move it
deeper.

What I did was gather up all the potions. I thought I would make a few trips,
but it is too much. I haven't even completed the first shipment, of
the potions. Now my stash is separated and each has an inaccessible
portion.

In essence, the levels are different in Gehennom, and I'm pretty sure the
distance between staircases has grown immensely.

Re: stashing in Gehennom

<tvgj0p$10agj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2327&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2327

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: Re: stashing in Gehennom
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 05:02:32 +0100
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 04:02 UTC

On 23.03.2023 03:46, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> I usually set up about three stashes in the Dungeons of Doom. I
> carry everything eventually to the lowest stash.

Myself I have a main stash at the downstairs of dlvl:1. It's purpose
is in early game to keep destroyable items safe (potions, scrolls),
later to collect all item options for the ascension.

Other stashes are besides an altar, mainly to collect the junk and
keep it away from the hands of other hostile dungeon inhabitants.

In Gehennom I stash food rations especially in the niches with the
downstairs that you find with the major demons. (Yet more in Slashem
than in Nethack.) That's because they are heavy and on the home-run
It's enough to have a few available like in base camps.

> Gehennom isn't being friendly about stashing. The distance has
> grown between stashes (levels are serpentine labyrinths), and also I
> have amassed quite a collection in my third stash, such that it is
> too heavy to move it deeper.

I have the habit shortcut twisted mazes with a pick-axe.

What is the reason that you are lugging all stuff to deeper stashes?

> What I did was gather up all the potions. I thought I would make a
> few trips, but it is too much. I haven't even completed the first
> shipment, of the potions. Now my stash is separated and each has an
> inaccessible portion.

An inaccessible portion; what do you mean here?

> In essence, the levels are different in Gehennom, and I'm pretty sure
> the distance between staircases has grown immensely.

You are speaking of Nethack? Are you saying here that in newer versions
there's a change in the dungeon topology or in the maze creation?

Janis

Re: stashing in Gehennom

<eea8dd69-5c87-4c82-9edd-971817de2578n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2329&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2329

Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 10:53:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: niodoru@hotmail.com (Yosemite Sam)
 by: Yosemite Sam - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 17:53 UTC

On Wednesday, March 22, 2023 at 11:02:36 PM UTC-5, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> On 23.03.2023 03:46, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> > I usually set up about three stashes in the Dungeons of Doom. I
> > carry everything eventually to the lowest stash.
> Myself I have a main stash at the downstairs of dlvl:1. It's purpose
> is in early game to keep destroyable items safe (potions, scrolls),
> later to collect all item options for the ascension.
>
> Other stashes are besides an altar, mainly to collect the junk and
> keep it away from the hands of other hostile dungeon inhabitants.
>
> In Gehennom I stash food rations especially in the niches with the
> downstairs that you find with the major demons. (Yet more in Slashem
> than in Nethack.) That's because they are heavy and on the home-run
> It's enough to have a few available like in base camps.
> >
> > Gehennom isn't being friendly about stashing. The distance has
> > grown between stashes (levels are serpentine labyrinths), and also I
> > have amassed quite a collection in my third stash, such that it is
> > too heavy to move it deeper.
> I have the habit shortcut twisted mazes with a pick-axe.
>
> What is the reason that you are lugging all stuff to deeper stashes?
> >
> > What I did was gather up all the potions. I thought I would make a
> > few trips, but it is too much. I haven't even completed the first
> > shipment, of the potions. Now my stash is separated and each has an
> > inaccessible portion.
> An inaccessible portion; what do you mean here?
> >
> > In essence, the levels are different in Gehennom, and I'm pretty sure
> > the distance between staircases has grown immensely.
> You are speaking of Nethack? Are you saying here that in newer versions
> there's a change in the dungeon topology or in the maze creation?
>
> Janis

It's only my third or fourth time in Gehennom. A pickaxe sounds like a great
idea. I had attempted using a wand of digging, but for some reason the
range is reduced. Not sure if it's the hardness of the walls or the venue.

I meant that if my stash gets scattered between two points I'll be missing
resources at either one. I'm going to set the potions down then take a
pickaxe to the walls before I go back for everything else.

Additionally, I've been reading about Ascension Kits in the nethack wiki. This
may help me reduce carry weight because I can get it down to the essentials..

Re: stashing in Gehennom

<tvibf1$19km8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2330&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2330

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 21:05:53 +0100
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 20:05 UTC

On 23.03.2023 18:53, Yosemite Sam wrote:

> It's only my third or fourth time in Gehennom. A pickaxe sounds like a great
> idea. I had attempted using a wand of digging, but for some reason the
> range is reduced. Not sure if it's the hardness of the walls or the venue.

Yes, a wand of digging cuts only one piece of wall in the mazes (and
similar with the rocky area in one of the mines-end levels, but
interestingly the Plane of Earth's rock is not that dense).

With a pick-axe you can shortcut quite easily. While I've seen some
folks digging out almost everything I mostly dig only when I've found
the pair of stairs. During exploration of a maze (in case I have no
magic mapping to spend) there are cases where an abbreviation is also
advisable.

> Additionally, I've been reading about Ascension Kits in the nethack wiki. This
> may help me reduce carry weight because I can get it down to the essentials.

I think there's two different types of sets to consider. As "Ascension
Kit" I usually think of exactly those items _necessary_ for the final
Planes. Other items may be helpful earlier; you already mentioned the
wands of digging which are useful for fast advance also in Gehennom,
but once you are ready to enter the Planes just two fully charged
wands of digging should suffice for the Plane of Earth, and the rest
of these wands can be ditched. Scrolls of gold detection, OTOH, can
be deposited at the level 1 stash; they are most useful to detect
the portals at the Planes and there's rarely the need to carry them
through Gehennom.

(Of course, being a pack-rat, I am lugging far too many items through
Gehennom and also too much loot to the Astral altar. Others certainly
do a better stash-management job.)

Janis