I have often regretted my speech, never my silence. -- Publilius Syrus

interests / rec.games.roguelike.nethack / [evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (with abused alignment)

SubjectAuthor
* [evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (with abusedJanis Papanagnou
+- [evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (withJanis Papanagnou
`* [evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (withMobi Leuser
 `* [evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (withJanis Papanagnou
  `* [evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (withG. Raznop
   +* [evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (withJanis Papanagnou
   |`* [evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (withG. Raznop
   | `- [evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (withJanis Papanagnou
   `* [evilhack] Keeping pegasus alive (was Re: Strategy and tactics [...])Janis Papanagnou
    `- [evilhack] Keeping pegasus alive (was Re: Strategy and tactics [...])RecRanger

1
[evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (with abused alignment)

<u1qrjg$gvaf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2425&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2425

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: [evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (with abused
alignment)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 10:02:56 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 08:02 UTC

My Monk prepared to face Master Kaen; a blessed scroll of light,
a blessed scroll of earth, a scroll of scare monster, a potion
of full healing, a ring of conflict (not worn), a couple wands
of magic missile, and some physical missile weapons. - Then it
got strange...

Lighting the area (okay), creating the boulder fort (okay). But
somehow the boulder fort got "opened" and Master Kaen adjacent!
A single hit with my Sword of Annihilation - Master Kaen dead.
Hmm.., okay. But then a couple non-native monsters appeared; a
mind flayer that ate my brain (free action doesn't help in this
variant, obviously). A small dragon who came from the other
side just stepped into the boulder fort (thereby the boulder
disappeared). But okay. Together with my great Pegasus - BTW,
how to keep that pet alive when veggy food is rare? - the area
was easily and cleared quickly.

So now I got the Bell and the Exes and returned to the portal.

Now what shall I do with my bad abuse alignment record? - Give
it back to the quest leader? - Take it with me to use it, and
come back later to uncurse the Bell? Or kill the quest leader?
Or something else? - Any opinions or experiences?

Janis

Re: [evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (with abused alignment)

<u1qrta$gvaf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2426&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2426

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: Re: [evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (with
abused alignment)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 10:08:10 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 08:08 UTC

On 20.04.2023 10:02, Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> So now I got the Bell and the Exes and returned to the portal.

I meant the "Eyes" (of the Overworld).

> Now what shall I do with my bad abuse alignment record? - Give
> it back to the quest leader? - Take it with me to use it, and
> come back later to uncurse the Bell? Or kill the quest leader?
> Or something else? - Any opinions or experiences?
>
> Janis

Re: [evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (with abused alignment)

<d2034a57-c486-4483-aeed-8d6cab4544a7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2427&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2427

Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 02:46:40 -0700 (PDT)
abused alignment)
From: nethackmobileuser@gmail.com (Mobi Leuser)
 by: Mobi Leuser - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 09:46 UTC

On Thursday, 20 April 2023 at 10:03:00 UTC+2, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> My Monk prepared to face Master Kaen; a blessed scroll of light,
> a blessed scroll of earth, a scroll of scare monster, a potion
> of full healing, a ring of conflict (not worn), a couple wands
> of magic missile, and some physical missile weapons. - Then it
> got strange...
>
> Lighting the area (okay), creating the boulder fort (okay). But
> somehow the boulder fort got "opened" and Master Kaen adjacent!

Without seeing the ttyrec it's hard to say for sure what happened. There is a very recent commit that allows Riders, shopkeepers, priests, quest leaders, and the
Oracle to break boulders.

> A single hit with my Sword of Annihilation - Master Kaen dead.
> Hmm.., okay. But then a couple non-native monsters appeared; a
> mind flayer that ate my brain (free action doesn't help in this
> variant, obviously). A small dragon who came from the other
> side just stepped into the boulder fort (thereby the boulder
> disappeared). But okay.

Sounds like Master Kaen managed to summon nasties...

> Together with my great Pegasus - BTW,
> how to keep that pet alive when veggy food is rare? - the area
> was easily and cleared quickly.
>
> So now I got the Bell and the Exes and returned to the portal.
>
> Now what shall I do with my bad abuse alignment record? - Give
> it back to the quest leader? - Take it with me to use it, and
> come back later to uncurse the Bell? Or kill the quest leader?
> Or something else? - Any opinions or experiences?
>
> Janis

I think Graznop already gave you some tips in another thread?
You might as well postpone chatting to the quest leader until you are ready to do the asc run.
Then simplest is just to give the Eyes back (should you manage to defeat Vecna and he drops the Eye of Vecna you will still have astral vision).
Otherwise kill the quest leader and afterwards repair luck and god anger.

Re: [evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (with abused alignment)

<u1r34r$i4tf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2428&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2428

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
abused alignment)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 12:11:39 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 10:11 UTC

On 20.04.2023 11:46, Mobi Leuser wrote:

>> Now what shall I do with my bad abuse alignment record? - Give
>> it back to the quest leader? - Take it with me to use it, and
>> come back later to uncurse the Bell? Or kill the quest leader?
>> Or something else? - Any opinions or experiences?
>
> I think Graznop already gave you some tips in another thread?

Yes. Sorry to have been unclear. The (sort of) "technical" options
are clear to me; I listed them (at least some obvious ones) above.
I was now more interested in experiences of either one or the other
option, and discussions what served best given what will come, what
is to expect in that variant - I don't know what surprises are to
expect in that variant, and I don't want to get into yet another
irreversible situation or dead end. Discussions of pros and cons,
for example, might also help.

What you write below here goes into that direction. Thanks.

> You might as well postpone chatting to the quest leader until you are
> ready to do the asc run. Then simplest is just to give the Eyes back
> (should you manage to defeat Vecna and he drops the Eye of Vecna you
> will still have astral vision). Otherwise kill the quest leader and
> afterwards repair luck and god anger.

Since I seem to have already lost divine protection (from an early
prayer) it might also be a good time now to stress my stats a bit
more and then just take some time to fix all issues. One problem I
see is that I want to keep my Pegasus alive, and I think I'd need
to not delay progress and exploration by altar-camping; I have to
find quite some amount of veggy food in the dungeons before doing
the enduring status restoration, I think.

Janis

Re: [evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (with abused alignment)

<a87b9927-6d7b-45fb-890c-d4d82b3c3d72n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2430&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2430

Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 04:16:28 -0700 (PDT)
abused alignment)
From: peterg17986@gmail.com (G. Raznop)
 by: G. Raznop - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:16 UTC

On Thursday, 20 April 2023 at 11:11:43 UTC+1, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> On 20.04.2023 11:46, Mobi Leuser wrote:
> >>
> >> Now what shall I do with my bad abuse alignment record? - Give
> >> it back to the quest leader? - Take it with me to use it, and
> >> come back later to uncurse the Bell? Or kill the quest leader?
> >> Or something else? - Any opinions or experiences?
> >
> > I think Graznop already gave you some tips in another thread?
> Yes. Sorry to have been unclear. The (sort of) "technical" options
> are clear to me; I listed them (at least some obvious ones) above.
> I was now more interested in experiences of either one or the other
> option, and discussions what served best given what will come, what
> is to expect in that variant - I don't know what surprises are to
> expect in that variant, and I don't want to get into yet another
> irreversible situation or dead end. Discussions of pros and cons,
> for example, might also help.
The big pro of the Eyes for a tortle is slotless magic resistance (until the wizard is awake).
The con of killing the quest leader (after you've fixed anger and luck) is the permanent luck base of -4, but I don't think it's that bad - see timeout.c (ascension run takes ~<1500 turns).
Or you could delay and decision until later.

> What you write below here goes into that direction. Thanks.
> > You might as well postpone chatting to the quest leader until you are
> > ready to do the asc run. Then simplest is just to give the Eyes back
> > (should you manage to defeat Vecna and he drops the Eye of Vecna you
> > will still have astral vision). Otherwise kill the quest leader and
> > afterwards repair luck and god anger.
> Since I seem to have already lost divine protection (from an early
> prayer) it might also be a good time now to stress my stats a bit
> more and then just take some time to fix all issues. One problem I
> see is that I want to keep my Pegasus alive, and I think I'd need
> to not delay progress and exploration by altar-camping; I have to
> find quite some amount of veggy food in the dungeons before doing
> the enduring status restoration, I think.
Food for herbivores grows on trees ;-)

G.

Re: [evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (with abused alignment)

<u1r89n$j1di$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2431&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2431

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
abused alignment)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 13:39:35 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:39 UTC

On 20.04.2023 13:16, G. Raznop wrote:
> Food for herbivores grows on trees ;-)

Yeah. - I'm not sure (i.e. I don't recall) I've yet seen forests.
I may mix memory impressions from other games and variants I follow
at the servers, with own games, and with other variants I thoroughly
played. (E.g. in Slashem I'd just go to the Lawful quest for an
abundance of trees and veggies.) - In my current games there's not
that many trees; one on level 2, then a couple at the Oracle, and
around level 20 there were some trees (according to the #overview).
Other places had lot of dead trees, and I suppose those won't carry
fruits. (From other variants I infer that every tree can only once
be used to obtain fruits; unless I am mistaken.)

Janis

Re: [evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (with abused alignment)

<8e536a89-8001-4cf5-a874-0009f961b4d3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2432&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2432

Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 04:53:18 -0700 (PDT)
abused alignment)
From: peterg17986@gmail.com (G. Raznop)
 by: G. Raznop - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:53 UTC

On Thursday, 20 April 2023 at 12:39:39 UTC+1, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> On 20.04.2023 13:16, G. Raznop wrote:
> > Food for herbivores grows on trees ;-)
> Yeah. - I'm not sure (i.e. I don't recall) I've yet seen forests.
> I may mix memory impressions from other games and variants I follow
> at the servers, with own games, and with other variants I thoroughly
> played. (E.g. in Slashem I'd just go to the Lawful quest for an
> abundance of trees and veggies.) - In my current games there's not
> that many trees; one on level 2, then a couple at the Oracle, and
> around level 20 there were some trees (according to the #overview).
> Other places had lot of dead trees, and I suppose those won't carry
> fruits. (From other variants I infer that every tree can only once
> be used to obtain fruits; unless I am mistaken.)
>
> Janis
The first level of the Ice Queen branch has quite a few trees.
(By the way, thanks for finding the bug re. locking / unlocking Sokoban prize doors - I'm just about to use it)

G.

Re: [evilhack] Strategy and tactics WRT the quest artifact (with abused alignment)

<u1rles$l83t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2434&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2434

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
abused alignment)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 17:24:11 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 15:24 UTC

On 20.04.2023 13:53, G. Raznop wrote:

> (By the way, thanks for finding the bug re. locking / unlocking
> Sokoban prize doors - I'm just about to use it)

I seem to recall that someone here said that it already got fixed
for the next release. So enjoy it as long as it's still there, and
don't get used to it. ;-)

Janis

[evilhack] Keeping pegasus alive (was Re: Strategy and tactics [...])

<u2apmj$1apb6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2447&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2447

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: [evilhack] Keeping pegasus alive (was Re: Strategy and tactics [...])
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 11:08:34 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 09:08 UTC

On 20.04.2023 13:16, G. Raznop wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 April 2023 at 11:11:43 UTC+1, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>> [... I want to keep my Pegasus alive, and I think I'd need
>> to not delay progress and exploration by altar-camping; I have to
>> find quite some amount of veggy food in the dungeons before doing
>> the enduring status restoration, I think.

> Food for herbivores grows on trees ;-)

And can be found in water. - I've very recently descended to Gollum,
and my Pegasus flew over the sea to eat some kelp fronds. :-)

Janis

Re: [evilhack] Keeping pegasus alive (was Re: Strategy and tactics [...])

<2916dd4b-bf4c-40c6-972e-70d4d2d862a0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2461&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2461

Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 23:15:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: comicaluser@gmail.com (RecRanger)
 by: RecRanger - Wed, 3 May 2023 06:15 UTC

On Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 5:08:39 AM UTC-4, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> On 20.04.2023 13:16, G. Raznop wrote:
> > On Thursday, 20 April 2023 at 11:11:43 UTC+1, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> >> [... I want to keep my Pegasus alive, and I think I'd need
> >> to not delay progress and exploration by altar-camping; I have to
> >> find quite some amount of veggy food in the dungeons before doing
> >> the enduring status restoration, I think.
>
> > Food for herbivores grows on trees ;-)
> And can be found in water. - I've very recently descended to Gollum,
> and my Pegasus flew over the sea to eat some kelp fronds. :-)
>
> Janis

Medusa level often has a lot of trees. So do quest levels. First level of the
monk quest has a LOT of trees. And while most Ice Queen trees are dead,
there are several that are alive.

They can be 'k'icked for bees and fruit one time each.

Until you find a decent amount of food, wait until your horse becomes
hungry. 'C'hat with them until they whinnie or are confused from hunger.
Leave them on a level, by themselves, for about 100 turns. Return to the
level and it will either be feral and be hostile or peaceful. Feed them food
and it will restore their nutrition to full. Whereas a simple pear will only give
a small amount of nutrition if fed as a pet. Save fruits like oranges for this
purpose as they (horses) will not normally eat them as a pet, unless very
hungry.