From: HenHanna@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,rec.puzzles,sci.lang
Subject: PTD on Baring-Gould's Annotated Sherlock Holmes
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 04:31:06 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:31 UTC

so it seems PTD liked the SH edition by W. S. Baring-Gould

but he thought the Re-ordering was ill-conceived.

i tend to agree with that.

Oxford SH reordered REDH and IDEN.
------ i don't like the reordering, but it much less bothersome!

Peter T. Daniels -- Apr 8, 2015, 10:10:07 AM

Is that the recent one by a youngish American, which was sold in 3
separate volumes over several years and hasn't yet turned up in the
secondhand stores? Or the classic by W. S. Baring-Gould?

_______________________________________________________Cooee!
Peter T. Daniels -- Mar 24, 2019, 9:53:20 AM

It's not impossible that the single occurrence in a Sherlock Holmes
story brought it to daily use in at least some parts of Britain --
Holmes was immensely popular. The X-Men of his day (and it only took one
of him).

Peter T. Daniels -- Apr 7, 2019, 11:19:24 AM

On Sunday, April 7, 2019 at 10:19:11 AM UTC-4, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 07/04/19 20:49, Janet wrote:
>
> > Patricia Cornwell's clumsy use of language is damaging your
> > understanding and use of English.
>
> I've been wondering about that. Clearly Cornwell's prose is not admired
> by AUE regulars. But should we apply native-language standards when the
> reader is not a native speaker? Perhaps her very lack of elegance makes
> her suitable reading for someone whose command of English is lower than
> ours.
>
> I can't answer that question because I don't read much of that genre. I
> can make an analogy with science fiction, though, a genre where I have a
> large collection of books. In the SF world Isaac Asimov is occasionally
> criticised because he is not a stylist. He has a "plain language" style
> of writing. But it's that very quality that would prompt me to recommend
> him to a beginner, including a beginner who has English as a second
> language.

Asimov's fiction-writing was deadly -- his novels were un-rereadable,
because they existed solely for the plot. There was no subtlety at all,
no interest in "character," let alone "character development."

It may be the same characteristics that made his science writing so
good. He was superb at explaining.

It may also be those characteristics that deterred me from trying the
history books -- or maybe it was from reading the Guides to the Bible
and to Shakespeare.

In each case, he was interested in nothing but
explaining the allusions to bygone eras and phenomena.

The very organization of the Shakespeare book into the "historical"
order in which the action of each play took place was bizarre

-- quite possibly inspired by Baring-Gould's Annotated Sherlock
Holmes, which devotes a very tedious amount of space to determining the
exact dates on which each story took place.

Re: PTD on Baring-Gould's Annotated Sherlock Holmes

<uvd1pm$2r2ap$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2549&group=rec.puzzles#2549

From: HenHanna@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,rec.puzzles,sci.lang
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 21:30:45 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 04:30 UTC

Was PTD more of a Presence in Sci.Lang or in AUE?

Was he a BIG FISH in other groups?

When did he come to Usenet?

> so it seems  PTD liked the SH edition by  W. S. Baring-Gould
>
>            but he thought the Re-ordering was ill-conceived.
>
>                                         i tend to agree with that.
>
> Oxford SH reordered REDH and IDEN.
>        ------ i don't like the reordering, but it much less bothersome!

> Peter T. Daniels   --  Apr 8, 2015, 10:10:07 AM
>
> Is that the recent one by a youngish American, which was sold in 3
> separate volumes over several years and hasn't yet turned up in the
> secondhand stores?      Or the classic by W. S. Baring-Gould?
>

> _______________________________________________________Cooee!
> Peter T. Daniels  --  Mar 24, 2019, 9:53:20 AM
>
> It's not impossible that the single occurrence in a Sherlock Holmes
> story brought it to daily use in at least some parts of Britain --
> Holmes was immensely popular. The X-Men of his day (and it only took one
> of him).

> Peter T. Daniels   --   Apr 7, 2019, 11:19:24 AM
>
> On Sunday, April 7, 2019 at 10:19:11 AM UTC-4, Peter Moylan wrote:
> > On 07/04/19 20:49, Janet wrote:
> >
> > > Patricia Cornwell's clumsy use of language is damaging your
> > > understanding and use of English.
> >
> > I've been wondering about that. Clearly Cornwell's prose is not admired
> > by AUE regulars. But should we apply native-language standards when the
> > reader is not a native speaker? Perhaps her very lack of elegance makes
> > her suitable reading for someone whose command of English is lower than
> > ours.
> >
> > I can't answer that question because I don't read much of that genre. I
> > can make an analogy with science fiction, though, a genre where I have a
> > large collection of books. In the SF world Isaac Asimov is occasionally
> > criticised because he is not a stylist. He has a "plain language" style
> > of writing. But it's that very quality that would prompt me to recommend
> > him to a beginner, including a beginner who has English as a second
> > language.
>

> Asimov's fiction-writing was deadly -- his novels were un-rereadable,
> because they existed solely for the plot. There was no subtlety at all,
> no interest in "character," let alone "character development."
>
> It may be the same characteristics that made his science writing so
> good.     He was superb at explaining.
>
> It may also be those characteristics that deterred me from trying the
> history books -- or maybe it was from reading the Guides to the Bible
> and to Shakespeare.
>
> In each case, he was interested in nothing but
> explaining the allusions to bygone eras and phenomena.
>
> The very organization of the Shakespeare book into the "historical"
> order in which the action of each play took place was bizarre
>
>  -- quite possibly inspired by Baring-Gould's Annotated Sherlock
> Holmes, which devotes a very tedious amount of space to determining the
> exact dates on which each story took place.

Re: PTD on Baring-Gould's Annotated Sherlock Holmes

<87le5hpsok.fsf@parhasard.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2553&group=rec.puzzles#2553

From: kehoea@parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,rec.puzzles,sci.lang
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 09:34:19 +0100
 by: Aidan Kehoe - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 08:34 UTC

Ar an dara lá déag de mí Aibreán, scríobh HenHanna:

> Was PTD more of a Presence in Sci.Lang or in AUE?

I was never active in alt.usage.english so I can’t comment.

> Was he a BIG FISH in other groups?
>
> When did he come to Usenet?

Google Group suggests about 1997.

He doesn’t appear to be active anymore, not a great use of your time to obsess
about him.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’