Due to circumstances beyond your control, you are master of your fate and captain of your soul.

interests / rec.games.roguelike.nethack / Re: Can I scroll down the permanent inventory menu

SubjectAuthor
* Can I scroll down the permanent inventory menuMengke Wang
`* Can I scroll down the permanent inventory menuPat Rankin
 `- Can I scroll down the permanent inventory menuMengke Wang

1
Can I scroll down the permanent inventory menu

<ea9b8ff7-f004-4f68-92eb-26bc0d61412an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2815&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2815

Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 07:22:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Can I scroll down the permanent inventory menu
From: cordeliahenry4812@gmail.com (Mengke Wang)
 by: Mengke Wang - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 15:22 UTC

I play on nao server using cmd.exe on win10 and I turn the curses interface and permanent inventory on. I wonder whether or not I can scroll down the permanent inventory menu on the right of the screen when the menu is not big enough to show all my items. Also I am not the native English speaker and sorry for my English.

Re: Can I scroll down the permanent inventory menu

<9b76fbc1-e4a8-41b0-af09-340b5a1c0b90n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2818&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2818

Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 12:36:57 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Can I scroll down the permanent inventory menu
From: r.pat.rankin@gmail.com (Pat Rankin)
 by: Pat Rankin - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 20:36 UTC

On Wednesday, January 4, 2023 at 7:22:32 AM UTC-8, cordelia...@gmail.com wrote:
> I play on nao server using cmd.exe on win10 and I turn the curses
> interface and permanent inventory on. I wonder whether or not I
> can scroll down the permanent inventory menu on the right of the
> screen when the menu is not big enough to show all my items.

There's no way to do that with 3.6.x. 3.7 (which hasn't been
released yet) has added a '|' (verical bar) command which lets
you send '>' (next page), '<' (previous page, useful after '>' or '|'),
^' (first page), and '|' (last page) keystrokes to the perm_invent
window, plus new '}' (shift view to right) and '{' (shift view back
to left) to see text that's normally truncated at the edge of the
screen. Unfortunately the perm_invent display resets to
showing that window's top-left corner every time perm_invent
gets updated, and it tends to get updated a lot.

If you set 'windowborders' to 0, the perm_invent window will
gain two more rows and three or four more columns. That
isn't much improvement in what you can see but is probably
better than nothing. I don't remember whether 3.6.x supports
windowborders:3. If so, that will leave the borders around
the map, message window, and status window but take them
off of perm_invent, again giving it two extra rows but only
two extra columns.

You can also change 'packorder' to show object classes in
a different order. Changing the order does not allow you to
see a second page but does allow you more control of what
you see on the first page. The default is gold, amulets,
weapons, armor, and then other stuff but gold is also shown
as status and if you carry a lot of weapons and armor they
will use many lines on the first page of perm_invent. Note
that changing 'packorder' changes regular 'i' as well as
perm_invent. It also changes ',' if you have 'sortloot' set.

You can always see the whole inventory by issuing the 'i'
command and doing normal menu positioning with it.

Re: Can I scroll down the permanent inventory menu

<201f9864-b1f7-4fbc-bb69-efe4bb468388n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2820&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2820

Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 19:14:12 -0800 (PST)
From: cordeliahenry4812@gmail.com (Mengke Wang)
 by: Mengke Wang - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 03:14 UTC

在 2023年1月5日星期四 UTC+8 04:36:59,<Pat Rankin> 写道:
> On Wednesday, January 4, 2023 at 7:22:32 AM UTC-8, cordelia...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I play on nao server using cmd.exe on win10 and I turn the curses
> > interface and permanent inventory on. I wonder whether or not I
> > can scroll down the permanent inventory menu on the right of the
> > screen when the menu is not big enough to show all my items.
> There's no way to do that with 3.6.x. 3.7 (which hasn't been
> released yet) has added a '|' (verical bar) command which lets
> you send '>' (next page), '<' (previous page, useful after '>' or '|'),
> ^' (first page), and '|' (last page) keystrokes to the perm_invent
> window, plus new '}' (shift view to right) and '{' (shift view back
> to left) to see text that's normally truncated at the edge of the
> screen. Unfortunately the perm_invent display resets to
> showing that window's top-left corner every time perm_invent
> gets updated, and it tends to get updated a lot.
>
> If you set 'windowborders' to 0, the perm_invent window will
> gain two more rows and three or four more columns. That
> isn't much improvement in what you can see but is probably
> better than nothing. I don't remember whether 3.6.x supports
> windowborders:3. If so, that will leave the borders around
> the map, message window, and status window but take them
> off of perm_invent, again giving it two extra rows but only
> two extra columns.
>
> You can also change 'packorder' to show object classes in
> a different order. Changing the order does not allow you to
> see a second page but does allow you more control of what
> you see on the first page. The default is gold, amulets,
> weapons, armor, and then other stuff but gold is also shown
> as status and if you carry a lot of weapons and armor they
> will use many lines on the first page of perm_invent. Note
> that changing 'packorder' changes regular 'i' as well as
> perm_invent. It also changes ',' if you have 'sortloot' set.
>
> You can always see the whole inventory by issuing the 'i'
> command and doing normal menu positioning with it.
Thank you for replying, very useful and detailed information.