From: lautreamont@inria.fr (Isidore Ducasse)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: spellbooks
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 11:14:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Isidore Ducasse - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 11:14 UTC

I'm trying to write useful spellbooks (magic missile, polymorph,
cancellation, teleportĀ§...), but don't have that many spare spellbooks: I tried
first to get them with polymorph, but bad idea: when reading it, it was
"too faint". Reading the wiki, it looks like when a spellbook gets
blank, there may be a way to reset its read counter?
But tbh, I didn't really understand how...
Otherwise, every spellbook read 3 times can be thrown away?

Thanks for your help/ideas!
ID

Re: spellbooks

<tpu4rk$1vajv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2844&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2844

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: Re: spellbooks
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 12:49:08 +0100
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 11:49 UTC

On 14.01.2023 12:14, Isidore Ducasse wrote:
> I'm trying to write useful spellbooks (magic missile, polymorph,
> cancellation, teleportĀ§...), but don't have that many spare spellbooks: I tried
> first to get them with polymorph, but bad idea: when reading it, it was
> "too faint". Reading the wiki, it looks like when a spellbook gets
> blank, there may be a way to reset its read counter?
> But tbh, I didn't really understand how...

My understanding is; polymorphing blank spellbooks won't work (as
you experienced), but writing blank spellbooks anew is fine.

> Otherwise, every spellbook read 3 times can be thrown away?

Unless this is new it was always possible for me to read spellbooks
many more times (in NH-343 and Slashem); occasionally they vanish,
though, and probability for that *might* increase with the number
of re-read attempts.

Janis

Re: spellbooks

<tpu9lj$1dh7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2845&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2845

From: lautreamont@inria.fr (Isidore Ducasse)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 13:11:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Isidore Ducasse - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 13:11 UTC

Right! I've just tried on a spellbook that has been read 3 times, then
blanked, then written, and the read counter is reset! Cool...

Thank you!