Disease can be cured; fate is incurable. -- Chinese proverb

interests / rec.gambling.lottery / Re: Repeats and Dodgy Statistics (Hi MJ!)

SubjectAuthor
* Repeats and Dodgy Statistics (Hi MJ!)nigel
+* Repeats and Dodgy Statistics (Hi MJ!)nigel
|`- Repeats and Dodgy Statistics (Hi MJ!)Marmaduke Jinks
`* Repeats and Dodgy Statistics (Hi MJ!)nigel
 `- Repeats and Dodgy Statistics (Hi MJ!)nigel

1
Repeats and Dodgy Statistics (Hi MJ!)

<l3-dnTujCs5MkOr4nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2837&group=rec.gambling.lottery#2837

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:25:36 +0000
From: useweb@nospam.com (nigel)
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.lottery
Subject: Repeats and Dodgy Statistics (Hi MJ!)
 by: nigel - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:25 UTC

The correlation betweem my system's predictions for number of repeats
and the actual results has now hit -0.20389041942593, and that's after
44 draws.

I 'cheated' and used my software's TTest function with the following
parameters:
Array of predictions
Array of results
2-tailed test (since we're looking for oddities in either direction)
Pairs (since each prediction and result forms a discrete pair)

It calculated the probability as 0.64430697390173.

I'm not sure what that means, but my best guess is that it reckons
there's a 64% chance that something untoward is going on ie not
statistically significant.

Nigel

Marmaduke Jinks wrote:

> Congrats for keeping it up ;-)
>
> Did you learn much? Did you find a bias?
>
> MJ
> (I have post here, can't post further down the thread)

Re: Repeats and Dodgy Statistics (Hi MJ!)

<8Zidne3I3NLAU-T4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2839&group=rec.gambling.lottery#2839

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 15:31:43 +0000
From: useweb@nospam.com (nigel)
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.lottery
Subject: Re: Repeats and Dodgy Statistics (Hi MJ!)
 by: nigel - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 15:31 UTC

Ion Saliu wrote:

<snip>

> I second that. Bravo, Doollow! Keep it going, axiomates, Doollow &
> Martsopolleahk! Being alive is of utmost importance — second only to
> good health.

Thank you for the kind words - more than I deserve after all my teasing.
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

I'm like a senescent ugly duckling, paddling away below the surface ever
more slowly, in the hope it's not too late to become a swan.

I noticed something strange a while back but wrote it off as a
coincidence. Then something similar happened, then again and again. I've
started monitoring it formally because if it holds up, it's weird,
wonderful and mind-blowing. I've been here before only to have my hopes
dashed but it's nice to have a bit of optimism to cling to in these
troubled times.

I wish you and your family a prosperous New Year.

Nigel

Re: Repeats and Dodgy Statistics (Hi MJ!)

<uleefm$1acoa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2840&group=rec.gambling.lottery#2840

From: Jinks@Totopoly.co.uk (Marmaduke Jinks)
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.lottery
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 08:30:42 -0000
 by: Marmaduke Jinks - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 08:30 UTC

"nigel" <useweb@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Ion Saliu wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>
>> I second that. Bravo, Doollow! Keep it going, axiomates, Doollow &
>> Martsopolleahk! Being alive is of utmost importance - second only to
>> good health.
>>

> Thank you for the kind words - more than I deserve after all my teasing.
> You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
>
> I'm like a senescent ugly duckling, paddling away below the surface ever
> more slowly, in the hope it's not too late to become a swan.
>
> I noticed something strange a while back but wrote it off as a
> coincidence. Then something similar happened, then again and again. I've
> started monitoring it formally because if it holds up, it's weird,
> wonderful and mind-blowing. I've been here before only to have my hopes
> dashed but it's nice to have a bit of optimism to cling to in these
> troubled times.
>
> I wish you and your family a prosperous New Year.
>
> Nigel

Festive Greetings to all in the group :-)

MJ

Re: Repeats and Dodgy Statistics (Hi MJ!)

<iZKdneOi0pwMDBz4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2848&group=rec.gambling.lottery#2848

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 12:50:19 +0000
From: useweb@nospam.com (nigel)
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.lottery
 by: nigel - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 12:50 UTC

Did I say dodgy? Most of my software's built-in functions ignore blank
rows. It seems the TTest function is different. So the result I posted
below is wrong, though fortunately not by much.

nigel wrote:

> The correlation betweem my system's predictions for number of repeats
> and the actual results has now hit -0.20389041942593, and that's after
> 44 draws.
>
> I 'cheated' and used my software's TTest function with the following
> parameters:
> Array of predictions
> Array of results
> 2-tailed test (since we're looking for oddities in either direction)
> Pairs (since each prediction and result forms a discrete pair)
>
> It calculated the probability as 0.64430697390173.
>
> I'm not sure what that means, but my best guess is that it reckons
> there's a 64% chance that something untoward is going on ie not
> statistically significant.
>
> Nigel

Re: Repeats and Dodgy Statistics (Hi MJ!)

<DtScnTnHZ97-yBX4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2852&group=rec.gambling.lottery#2852

Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 15:59:32 +0000
From: useweb@nospam.com (nigel)
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.lottery
 by: nigel - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 15:59 UTC

Yesterday my syste predicted 2 repeats in the New York Lottery and we
got two repeats. That didn't do my dodgy statistics much good :-)

Happy Christmas to those who care, Happy Holidays to those who don't.