Keep up the good work! But please don't ask me to help.

interests / rec.games.roguelike.nethack / strength

SubjectAuthor
* strengthYosemite Sam
`* strengthJanis Papanagnou
 `* strengthIsidore Ducasse
  `- strengthJanis Papanagnou

1
strength

<114ffd69-fab8-4672-9a9c-8d21010962dfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2876&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2876

Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 11:59:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: strength
From: niodoru@hotmail.com (Yosemite Sam)
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 19:59 UTC

I usually trip over myself because I'm doing quite well. This game is
different. I barely completed Sokoban, exploded a bag of holding
by a bag of tricks taking 16000 zorkmids and a few other goods.
I've got three gifts from Set and a Mjollnir I found sitting on a level
near the stairs. I have a kind of malaise. I'm not doing too well, but
I'm also not tripping over some cockatrice. The feeling is staid and
that's better than a feeling of I can destroy anything.

Re: strength

<tqjovp$36737$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2877&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2877

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: Re: strength
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 17:41:29 +0100
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 16:41 UTC

On 21.01.2023 20:59, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> I usually trip over myself because I'm doing quite well. This game is
> different. I barely completed Sokoban, exploded a bag of holding
> by a bag of tricks taking 16000 zorkmids and a few other goods.
> I've got three gifts from Set and a Mjollnir I found sitting on a level
> near the stairs. I have a kind of malaise. I'm not doing too well, but
> I'm also not tripping over some cockatrice. The feeling is staid and
> that's better than a feeling of I can destroy anything.

A situation of awareness and having to be careful all the time is
straining but certainly also increases survivability. Otherwise,
I experienced, overconfidence and inattentiveness can more likely
kill you where you don't expect it.[*]

A possible drawback in a specific game can occur if you are stuck
because of a too powerful hindrance; that can result in no advance,
boredom, and then often death.

I actually like in the games the often experienced situation that
I have to sophisticatedly _solve_ tight situation - which is very
satisfying! - instead of just hack'n'slashing (as known from many
other games).

Janis

[*] In a recent [slashem] game; excellent artifacts (weapons and
other things), and a horde of angelic powerful minions, where one
of them got confused from a black light in the Lawful quest and
killed me faster than I got aware (no HP highlight in Slashem).

Re: strength

<tqk4go$i31$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2878&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2878

From: lautreamont@inria.fr (Isidore Ducasse)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 19:58:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Isidore Ducasse - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 19:58 UTC

> straining but certainly also increases survivability. Otherwise,
> I experienced, overconfidence and inattentiveness can more likely
> kill you where you don't expect it.[*]

Don't tell me that! :-)
I'm right now in the ascension run, and around level 20, I just
*forgot* the amulet on an altar, and kept on running...
until level 2... I thought, cool, easy, nothing to bother me, I
can even cast spell without penalty... wait... where is the amulet? ;-)

> I actually like in the games the often experienced situation that
> I have to sophisticatedly _solve_ tight situation - which is very

Yeah, that's also the whole spirit behind Tourist's game, isn't it?
And conducts like vegetarian or pacifist: I can't even imagine how one
can succeed in such conditions!

ID

Re: strength

<tqkbsa$39bd8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2879&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2879

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 23:03:54 +0100
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 22:03 UTC

On 22.01.2023 20:58, Isidore Ducasse wrote:
> I'm right now in the ascension run, and around level 20, I just
> *forgot* the amulet on an altar, and kept on running...
> until level 2... I thought, cool, easy, nothing to bother me, I
> can even cast spell without penalty... wait... where is the amulet? ;-)

I recall to have had it once stolen and didn't notice until much
later.

In another instance I wondered about my weak attacks, only to see
at some point that my artifact weapon was gone (I had got disarmed
by a demon with a bullwhip).

>> I actually like in the games the often experienced situation that
>> I have to sophisticatedly _solve_ tight situation - which is very
>
> Yeah, that's also the whole spirit behind Tourist's game, isn't it?

Yes. Tourist is a role I am always eagerly playing, while...

> And conducts like vegetarian or pacifist: I can't even imagine how one
> can succeed in such conditions!

....these conducts are nothing for me. The same with some classes
or races; in Slashem I #quit games instantly if I get a vampiric
character selected by the RNG. I suppose it would be similar with
a convict role in other variants, but cannot tell from practice.

Janis