From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: [slashem] Minions attacking the tougher foe for nothing instead of
killing the weak one
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 15:37:15 +0100
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:37 UTC

My horde of powerful minions preferred many rounds to not attack and
just kill that wimpy water nymph but instead focused on the peaceful
ki-rin (Status of the ki-rin (lawful): Level 19 HP 124(124)) where
they could not even place a single hit! The ki-rin is the 'A' at the
right wall above the nymph 'n', all other 'A' are my devas minions.

#------#
#|.A@A|#
#|.AAA|#
#A.AAn|#
------

Only when I left that room they hit and killed the nymph on one turn.
(The ki-rin is of course still alive.)

Janis

Re: [slashem] Minions attacking the tougher foe for nothing instead of killing the weak one

<c8804c7d-488d-4f66-85c6-95476c67837en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2882&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2882

Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 19:53:54 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [slashem] Minions attacking the tougher foe for nothing instead
of killing the weak one
From: niodoru@hotmail.com (Yosemite Sam)
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 03:53 UTC

On Sunday, January 29, 2023 at 8:37:19 AM UTC-6, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> My horde of powerful minions preferred many rounds to not attack and
> just kill that wimpy water nymph but instead focused on the peaceful
> ki-rin (Status of the ki-rin (lawful): Level 19 HP 124(124)) where
> they could not even place a single hit! The ki-rin is the 'A' at the
> right wall above the nymph 'n', all other 'A' are my devas minions.
>
> #------#
> #|.A@A|#
> #|.AAA|#
> #A.AAn|#
> ------
>
> Only when I left that room they hit and killed the nymph on one turn.
> (The ki-rin is of course still alive.)
>
> Janis

I don't usually watch my minions make their kills. I'm comfortable
with: You hear some noises in the distance.
What I'm saying is what you are showing here any different from their ordinary behavior?

Re: [slashem] Minions attacking the tougher foe for nothing instead of killing the weak one

<tra880$3m4ek$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2883&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2883

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
of killing the weak one
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 06:16:48 +0100
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 05:16 UTC

On 31.01.2023 04:53, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On Sunday, January 29, 2023 at 8:37:19 AM UTC-6, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>> My horde of powerful minions preferred many rounds to not attack and
>> just kill that wimpy water nymph but instead focused on the peaceful
>> ki-rin (Status of the ki-rin (lawful): Level 19 HP 124(124)) where
>> they could not even place a single hit! The ki-rin is the 'A' at the
>> right wall above the nymph 'n', all other 'A' are my devas minions.
>>
>> #------#
>> #|.A@A|#
>> #|.AAA|#
>> #A.AAn|#
>> ------
>>
>> Only when I left that room they hit and killed the nymph on one turn.
>> (The ki-rin is of course still alive.)
>
> I don't usually watch my minions make their kills. I'm comfortable
> with: You hear some noises in the distance. What I'm saying is what
> you are showing here any different from their ordinary behavior?

In this instance I'm not quite sure what their "ordinary behavior"
is. In fighting I haven't yet observed any difference between pets
and minions; if the foe's level is too high they ignore the enemy,
if it's low enough they try to kill it, if the foe's _defense_ is
_absolutely effective_ they nonetheless continue to fight despite
its attack-ineffectiveness. It *seems* that here they engaged in
an [ineffective] melee with the ki-rin, not considering to spend
a single hit on the nymph (over about two dozens rounds). Then I
left the area - while not changing the nymphs surrounding; still
the same minions around the 'n' - and they instantly killed her.
It *seems* that the attack vector of the minions is depending on
the players position in this case, but that sounds strange in a
scrum situation as depicted. But that seems at least to explain
it; maybe the fixed engagement to the opponent is loosen only if
the enemy moves (which is impossible in above encirclement).[*]

Janis

[*] This speculation stems from the engagement method that foes
have when they attack an invisible/displaced character that they
initially cannot locate; once they found you they continue hitting
unless you move again. - Not sure this is correct or might be the
source of above minions' behavior since the attack engagement and
move and attack vector may be completely unrelated. - I'm puzzled.