From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: [dnethack] Wrappings of the Sacred Fist
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 19:26:56 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 17:26 UTC

My dlvl:1 sacfest meanwhile provided tins of artifacts. Specifically
a shirt that increases carrying capacity is great for a pack-rat
like me; 150% carrying capacity and a blessed bag of holding makes
me even unburdened. (Only missing The Wallet of Perseus to maximize
that.) But now I got "Wrappings of the Sacred Fist", which is not
mentioned in the dNethack Wiki entry and I cannot derive properties
from the source code:

"The Wrappings of the Sacred Fist", HAND_WRAPS, "prayer-warded wraps",
0L, MT_DEFAULT, MZ_DEFAULT, WT_DEFAULT,
A_NONE, NON_PM, NON_PM, TIER_D, (ARTG_GIFT),
NO_MONS(),
ATTK(AD_HOLY, 8, 0), NOFLAG,
PROPS(), NOFLAG,
PROPS(), NOFLAG,
FAST_TURNING, (ARTI_PLUSSEV)

AD_HOLY and FAST_TURNING doesn't sound worthwhile (but I don't know
what they actually mean).

My list of discovered/obtained artifacts:

The Lifehunt Scythe [chaotic scythe] -- wielded
Fire Brand [unaligned knife] -- from a shop
The Atma Weapon [unaligned broadsword hilt] -- @stash
Nenya [unaligned ring of see invisible] -- on the floor
The Golden Sword of Y'ha-Talla [unaligned scimitar] -- @stash
The Tie-Dye Shirt of Shambhala [unaligned T-shirt] -- worn
The Wrappings of the Sacred Fist [unaligned hand wraps] -- bag

Janis

Re: [dnethack] Wrappings of the Sacred Fist

<87led41rd4.fsf@noisytoot.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2899&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2899

From: ron@noisytoot.org (Ron Nazarov)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: Re: [dnethack] Wrappings of the Sacred Fist
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 21:23:19 +0100
sha1:N8UCyb8kUFrrS++Zw3ZD0FkyV70=
 by: Ron Nazarov - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 20:23 UTC

Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com> writes:

> My dlvl:1 sacfest meanwhile provided tins of artifacts. Specifically
> a shirt that increases carrying capacity is great for a pack-rat
> like me; 150% carrying capacity and a blessed bag of holding makes
> me even unburdened. (Only missing The Wallet of Perseus to maximize
> that.) But now I got "Wrappings of the Sacred Fist", which is not
> mentioned in the dNethack Wiki entry and I cannot derive properties
> from the source code:

There is also a thought that you can get deep in the lost cities in
exchange for an artifact if you have enough insight that provides +25%
carrycap: https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Insight, and hiking boots
(randomized appearance) provide +100 carrycap. There are many dangerous
(insight) monsters on the way that are best avoided and would probably
kill you if you don't know about them and try to fight them, so make
sure to use farlook (skip the level with the witch cultists and don't
enter (or even go in LoS of) the temple on the troll bridge level if you
have enough insight to perceive the blasphemous lurker inside it).

> "The Wrappings of the Sacred Fist", HAND_WRAPS, "prayer-warded wraps",
> 0L, MT_DEFAULT, MZ_DEFAULT, WT_DEFAULT,
> A_NONE, NON_PM, NON_PM, TIER_D, (ARTG_GIFT),
> NO_MONS(),
> ATTK(AD_HOLY, 8, 0), NOFLAG,
> PROPS(), NOFLAG,
> PROPS(), NOFLAG,
> FAST_TURNING, (ARTI_PLUSSEV)
>
> AD_HOLY and FAST_TURNING doesn't sound worthwhile (but I don't know
> what they actually mean).

AD_HOLY is holy damage: it deals +1x damage to holy-haters such as
demons and undead. In this case, they already have +1d8 to-hit and 2x
damage to non-unholy-haters, so it increases the damage to 3x vs
holy-haters. FAST_TURNING is basically a turn undead invoke, as a wand
of undead turning. What isn't mentioned here is that they provide curse
resistance while worn (this is similar to Magicbane's effect in vanilla,
but works 100% of the time instead of just 19/20). That would probably
be the main reason to wear them for non-martial-arts/bare-handed-combat
users. They would prevent your artifact shirt from getting cursed and
making you encumbered by decreasing your carrycap.

https://github.com/Chris-plus-alphanumericgibberish/dNAO/commit/eb8f212335d4f3893f66afe184228c2e28204dfe
is the commit that adds them and describes them in more detail. I would
recommend searching commit logs for more information about artifacts as
they are often described there.

(These would probably be quite good against liches (including dokkalfar
eternal matriarchs), as they are holy-hating and vulnerable to blunt
damage.)

> The Atma Weapon [unaligned broadsword hilt] -- @stash

This is quite a good weapon if you lack drain resistance (3d10 +
3xEnchantment (+ 3d6 vs nasty) + 1d<your level>), not so good otherwise
(2d10 + 2xEnchantment), and the Barbarian QA grants drain resistance.
It's also a lightsaber so deals energy damage that things don't resist.

> Nenya [unaligned ring of see invisible] -- on the floor

You didn't pick it up?

Re: [dnethack] Wrappings of the Sacred Fist

<ue9a38$1no2h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2901&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2901

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 12:51:19 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 10:51 UTC

On 17.09.2023 22:23, Ron Nazarov wrote:

>> Nenya [unaligned ring of see invisible] -- on the floor
>
> You didn't pick it up?

Sorry, a misleading (mixed) description. I found it on the floor,
I carried it in my bag. But after your explanations in the other
thread I probably put them on now.

Janis

[dnethack] Carrying capacity (was Re: Wrappings of the Sacred Fist)

<ueg4sr$36etl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2910&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2910

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: [dnethack] Carrying capacity (was Re: Wrappings of the Sacred Fist)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 03:05:30 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 01:05 UTC

On 17.09.2023 22:23, Ron Nazarov wrote:

> [...], and hiking boots (randomized appearance) provide +100 carrycap. [...]

I think this must be: "hiking boots provide +10% carrying capacity".
It is +100 if you have a base of 1000, and (e.g.) +150 when wearing
that artifact T-shirt (that provides a base of 1500), as I noticed.

Janis