From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: [dnethack] Puzzled about a message
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 16:25:48 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 14:25 UTC

During a battle with a horde of various 'e' types I got the message:
"Your cursed Stormbringer sears the invisible quinon's brass structure!"
but my weapon isn't cursed:
Z - the blessed rustproof +6 Stormbringer (weapon in claw) {40}.
I'm puzzled about that message.

BTW, I am also surprised that this artifact doesn't show its nature to
attack peaceful monsters. It's also interesting that it's implemented
to provide Str:25. This yet unknown fact might have killed me recently;
I wanted to sacrifice a 'c' corpse and thought I would wear my [GoPs,
but being paranoid I checked before that. (I'm still wearing yellow
DSM, so stoning would in this case not have been an issue anyway.)

Janis

Re: [dnethack] Puzzled about a message

<87h6net7hp.fsf@noisytoot.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2922&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2922

From: ron@noisytoot.org (Ron Nazarov)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: Re: [dnethack] Puzzled about a message
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 20:36:50 +0100
sha1:uX9lycrxr/I+6OfU0UqlRx39MEE=
 by: Ron Nazarov - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 19:36 UTC

Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com> writes:

> During a battle with a horde of various 'e' types I got the message:
> "Your cursed Stormbringer sears the invisible quinon's brass structure!"
> but my weapon isn't cursed:
> Z - the blessed rustproof +6 Stormbringer (weapon in claw) {40}.
> I'm puzzled about that message.

Stormbringer always counts as cursed for the purpose of doing extra
damage to unholy-hating monsters. It also does +4d9 damage vs
unholy-haters.

> BTW, I am also surprised that this artifact doesn't show its nature to
> attack peaceful monsters. It's also interesting that it's implemented
> to provide Str:25. This yet unknown fact might have killed me recently;
> I wanted to sacrifice a 'c' corpse and thought I would wear my [GoPs,
> but being paranoid I checked before that. (I'm still wearing yellow
> DSM, so stoning would in this case not have been an issue anyway.)

Instead of vanilla's UI screw (not giving confirmation when attacking
pets or peacefuls with Stormbringer), it has an insanity% chance of
attacking an adjacent monster (regardless of hostile/peaceful/tame
status) every turn. This is both a good thing (because it sometimes
gives you a free attack vs hostile monsters) and a bad thing (because it
can anger pets and peacefuls if you go adjacent to them). It also gives
25 Con as well as 25 Str, which immediately and retroactively affects
your max HP, and counts as a shining weapon (meaning it bypasses AC and
DR from armour and can hit insubstantial targets such as shades).

(https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Sanity explains sanity if you don't know
what it is. Insanity is 100-sanity.)

Re: [dnethack] Puzzled about a message

<uf5e43$38i4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2924&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2924

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 04:51:46 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 02:51 UTC

Another message (during some third-party combat) that puzzles me...

By during sacrifices I summoned two peaceful demons[*] that stayed
immobile on their place.

Status of Alrunes (chaotic): Level 46 HP 368(368) AC -12 DR 11,
female, peaceful, itchy.

Status of Baphomet (chaotic): Level 56 HP 448(448) AC -15 DR 8,
peaceful.

When other monsters came they attacked them like that:
"Alrunes casts a spell at the Mordor orc! You feel vulnerable!"
I thought I might have come in line of their combat but even if I
stood aside and far away I've got this message that I would feel
vulnerable by the attack.

Was I affected by their combat (some sort of "friendly fire") or
is that just a program flaw?

Janis

[*] I'm surprised about that summoning because earlier I got
warned when trying to sacrifice a dragon or affectionated race.