From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: [ndnh] Shouldn't a killed leprechaun leave the stolen gold?
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 17:12:07 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 15:12 UTC

In a notDNethack game (my character has a passive cold attack)...

"You hit the leprechaun! The leprechaun hits!"
"Your purse feels lighter. You kill it!"

But there's neither a corpse nor my gold left.
Shouldn't a killed leprechaun leave at least the stolen gold?

Janis

Re: [ndnh] Shouldn't a killed leprechaun leave the stolen gold?

<87il742mag.fsf@noisytoot.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2951&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2951

From: ron@noisytoot.org (Ron Nazarov)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 12:38:15 +0100
sha1:8/sX6CvW+i2w1YJO0Ma4PdY27Vo=
 by: Ron Nazarov - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 11:38 UTC

Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com> writes:

> In a notDNethack game (my character has a passive cold attack)...
>
> "You hit the leprechaun! The leprechaun hits!"
> "Your purse feels lighter. You kill it!"
>
> But there's neither a corpse nor my gold left.
> Shouldn't a killed leprechaun leave at least the stolen gold?

"You kill it!" means that you killed an unseen monster and leprechauns
teleport after their gold-stealing attack, so there are 2 possibilities:
1. You killed the leprechaun with your passive cold attack after it
teleported, meaning the stolen gold is somewhere on the level. This
may be a bug (passive attacks triggering after teleportation).
2. You didn't kill the leprechaun, you killed another unseen monster.

Re: [ndnh] Shouldn't a killed leprechaun leave the stolen gold?

<ugogtt$3kpnd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2954&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2954

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 13:52:28 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 11:52 UTC

On 18.10.2023 13:38, Ron Nazarov wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> In a notDNethack game (my character has a passive cold attack)...
>>
>> "You hit the leprechaun! The leprechaun hits!"
>> "Your purse feels lighter. You kill it!"
>>
>> But there's neither a corpse nor my gold left.
>> Shouldn't a killed leprechaun leave at least the stolen gold?
>
> "You kill it!" means that you killed an unseen monster and leprechauns
> teleport after their gold-stealing attack, so there are 2 possibilities:
> 1. You killed the leprechaun with your passive cold attack after it
> teleported, meaning the stolen gold is somewhere on the level. This
> may be a bug (passive attacks triggering after teleportation).
> 2. You didn't kill the leprechaun, you killed another unseen monster.

I think case 2 may not be possible given the above quoted sequence of
messages; it seems to have clearly happened in the monster's turn.
So I suppose it's more like case 1. So maybe a time sequence bug, as
you suggest. (Or there's no drop of gold in case of passive attacks?)

Janis