From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: [ndnh] Artifact glowing black when sacrificing?
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 00:39:53 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 22:39 UTC

In my notDNethack game I came across a strange situation where I
sacrificed on my co-aligned altar a rothe corpse and my wielded
artifact weapon turned black, i.e. got cursed. This is especially
strange since I was also wearing an amulet versus curses. My next
sacrifice was again okay. - What can have happened here?

Janis

Re: [ndnh] Artifact glowing black when sacrificing?

<87mswg2mgg.fsf@noisytoot.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2950&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2950

From: ron@noisytoot.org (Ron Nazarov)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: Re: [ndnh] Artifact glowing black when sacrificing?
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 12:34:39 +0100
sha1:rGWC7sZdJZqrL0BTqPpxxMGxtVs=
 by: Ron Nazarov - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 11:34 UTC

Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com> writes:

> In my notDNethack game I came across a strange situation where I
> sacrificed on my co-aligned altar a rothe corpse and my wielded
> artifact weapon turned black, i.e. got cursed. This is especially
> strange since I was also wearing an amulet versus curses. My next
> sacrifice was again okay. - What can have happened here?

Are you a vampire? Vampires are holy-haters and don't like touching
blessed items. They are also weldproof, meaning they can remove cursed
items and are not affected by some things such as cursed projectiles
slipping. Instead of blessing equipment, gods will curse it for
holy-haters.

Re: [ndnh] Artifact glowing black when sacrificing?

<ugogf2$3km1b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2952&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#2952

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 13:44:32 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 11:44 UTC

On 18.10.2023 13:34, Ron Nazarov wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> In my notDNethack game I came across a strange situation where I
>> sacrificed on my co-aligned altar a rothe corpse and my wielded
>> artifact weapon turned black, i.e. got cursed. This is especially
>> strange since I was also wearing an amulet versus curses. My next
>> sacrifice was again okay. - What can have happened here?
>
> Are you a vampire? Vampires are holy-haters and don't like touching
> blessed items. They are also weldproof, meaning they can remove cursed
> items and are not affected by some things such as cursed projectiles
> slipping. Instead of blessing equipment, gods will curse it for
> holy-haters.

I'm quite sure that I was not a vampire (since I immediately #quit
games where the random choice selects such a race for me).

Janis