Today you'll start getting heavy metal radio on your dentures.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Zingerman's Rye Bread

SubjectAuthor
* Zingerman's Rye BreadEd P
+* Re: Zingerman's Rye BreadHank Rogers
|`* Re: Zingerman's Rye BreadBryanGSimmons
| `* Re: Zingerman's Rye Breadbob
|  `* Re: Zingerman's Rye BreadEd P
|   `- Re: Zingerman's Rye BreadDave Smith
+* Re: Zingerman's Rye Breadbob
|`* Re: Zingerman's Rye BreadCindy Hamilton
| +- Re: Zingerman's Rye Breadbob
| `- Re: Zingerman's Rye BreadBruce
`* Re: Zingerman's Rye Breadsongbird
 `* Re: Zingerman's Rye BreadBruce
  +* Re: Zingerman's Rye BreadCindy Hamilton
  |`- Re: Zingerman's Rye BreadBruce
  `- Re: Zingerman's Rye Breadsongbird

1
Zingerman's Rye Bread

<V3YsN.386365$83n7.255835@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=299349&group=rec.food.cooking#299349

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Subject: Zingerman's Rye Bread
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 19:25:26 -0500
 by: Ed P - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 00:25 UTC

My rye bread came today, just in time for dinner.

Compares well to the various rye bread I've had over the years. Good
taste, good texture, good crust.

The instructions tell you to refresh it by heating in a 350 deg. oven
but instead, I put a couple of slices in the toaster. That worked well.

Given the price with shipping, it is not something I'd do every week or
so, but a once a year treat, sure. It went well with a salad. Tomorrow
morning, with eggs.

Re: Zingerman's Rye Bread

<vgYsN.286152$c3Ea.92695@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=299350&group=rec.food.cooking#299350

Subject: Re: Zingerman's Rye Bread
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 18:38:44 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 00:38 UTC

Ed P wrote:
> My rye bread came today, just in time for dinner.
>
> Compares well to the various rye bread I've had over the
> years.  Good taste, good texture, good crust.
>
> The instructions tell you to refresh it by heating in a 350
> deg. oven but instead, I put a couple of slices in the
> toaster.  That worked well.
>
> Given the price with shipping, it is not something I'd do every
> week or so, but a once a year treat, sure.  It went well with a
> salad. Tomorrow morning, with eggs.

It's a shame there are no jewish bakeries in florida.

Re: Zingerman's Rye Bread

<aFZsN.28876$7uxe.26732@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=299353&group=rec.food.cooking#299353

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: bryangsimmons@gmail.com (BryanGSimmons)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 20:13:08 -0600
 by: BryanGSimmons - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 02:13 UTC

On 1/26/2024 6:38 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Ed P wrote:
>> My rye bread came today, just in time for dinner.
>>
>> Compares well to the various rye bread I've had over the years.  Good
>> taste, good texture, good crust.
>>
>> The instructions tell you to refresh it by heating in a 350 deg. oven
>> but instead, I put a couple of slices in the toaster.  That worked well.
>>
>> Given the price with shipping, it is not something I'd do every week
>> or so, but a once a year treat, sure.  It went well with a salad.
>> Tomorrow morning, with eggs.
>
> It's a shame there are no jewish bakeries in florida.

The Jews are on the east coast. The southwest coast is mostly gentile
Q-tips from the Northeast, and to a lesser degree, the Midwest.

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly

"Most of the food described here is nauseating.
We're just too courteous to say so."
-- Cindy Hamilton

Re: Zingerman's Rye Bread

<up3i4t$3g48u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=299400&group=rec.food.cooking#299400

From: bob@sympatico.com (bob)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 11:30:53 -0700
 by: bob - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 18:30 UTC

On 2024-01-27 02:13:08 +0000, BryanGSimmons said:

> On 1/26/2024 6:38 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> Ed P wrote:
>>> My rye bread came today, just in time for dinner.
>>>
>>> Compares well to the various rye bread I've had over the years.  Good
>>> taste, good texture, good crust.
>>>
>>> The instructions tell you to refresh it by heating in a 350 deg. oven
>>> but instead, I put a couple of slices in the toaster.  That worked well.
>>>
>>> Given the price with shipping, it is not something I'd do every week or
>>> so, but a once a year treat, sure.  It went well with a salad. Tomorrow
>>> morning, with eggs.
>>
>> It's a shame there are no jewish bakeries in florida.
> >
> The Jews are on the east coast. The southwest coast is mostly gentile
> Q-tips from the Northeast, and to a lesser degree, the Midwest.

Have you ever been to Florida?... or do you just make up demographics
from your squalor in da lou?

Re: Zingerman's Rye Bread

<_bdtN.314229$xHn7.170199@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=299409&group=rec.food.cooking#299409

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 14:54:34 -0500
 by: Ed P - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 19:54 UTC

On 1/27/2024 1:30 PM, bob wrote:
> On 2024-01-27 02:13:08 +0000, BryanGSimmons said:

>>> It's a shame there are no jewish bakeries in florida.
>>  >
>> The Jews are on the east coast.  The southwest coast is mostly gentile
>> Q-tips from the Northeast, and to a lesser degree, the Midwest.
>
> Have you ever been to Florida?... or do you just make up demographics
> from your squalor in da lou?

He is actually pretty close. I'm midway down on the west coast, just
south of Tampa bay. Many in this area are from New England,
Ohio,Indiana. Worcester MA airport used to have a twice a week flight to
Punta Gorda that was mostly snowbirds.

Re: Zingerman's Rye Bread

<up3ufo$3i5a0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=299421&group=rec.food.cooking#299421

From: bob@sympatico.com (bob)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 15:01:28 -0700
 by: bob - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 22:01 UTC

On 2024-01-27 00:25:26 +0000, Ed P said:

> My rye bread came today, just in time for dinner.
>
> Compares well to the various rye bread I've had over the years. Good
> taste, good texture, good crust.
>
> The instructions tell you to refresh it by heating in a 350 deg. oven
> but instead, I put a couple of slices in the toaster. That worked well.
>
> Given the price with shipping, it is not something I'd do every week or
> so, but a once a year treat, sure. It went well with a salad. Tomorrow
> morning, with eggs.

I looked at their web site. That's is a costly loaf! Never had a loaf
of bread that was more than 20$.

Re: Zingerman's Rye Bread

<%AftN.256275$7sbb.61989@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=299422&group=rec.food.cooking#299422

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.smith@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 17:37:47 -0500
 by: Dave Smith - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 22:37 UTC

On 2024-01-27 2:54 p.m., Ed P wrote:
> On 1/27/2024 1:30 PM, bob wrote:

>>>  >
>>> The Jews are on the east coast.  The southwest coast is mostly
>>> gentile Q-tips from the Northeast, and to a lesser degree, the Midwest.
>>
>> Have you ever been to Florida?... or do you just make up demographics
>> from your squalor in da lou?
>>

> He is actually pretty close.  I'm midway down on the west coast, just
> south of Tampa bay.  Many in this area are from New England,
> Ohio,Indiana. Worcester MA airport used to have a twice a week flight to
> Punta Gorda that was mostly snowbirds.

Lots of people from the northern US states and Canada like to winter in
the Florida. I had one and and uncle who retired early and spend a
winter in Florida and ended up moving there. Another aunt and uncle
spent their winters down there for close to 30 years. One of my cousins
and her husband and my wife's cousin, all from BC, go to Scottsdale
Arizona. A friend of my wife's goes to Palm Springs and at least a dozen
friends of mine winter in Florida.

I have only gone on one vacation to the south. It's hard to believe that
was already 6 years ago. It was was strange to leave here early on a
cold winter morning and to stop for the night in southern Virginia where
is was spring weather, and to be in Georgia the next afternoon and
summer like weather.

Re: Zingerman's Rye Bread

<1WftN.289202$PuZ9.101278@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=299428&group=rec.food.cooking#299428

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamilton@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 23:00:13 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 23:00 UTC

On 2024-01-27, bob <bob@sympatico.com> wrote:
> On 2024-01-27 00:25:26 +0000, Ed P said:
>
>> My rye bread came today, just in time for dinner.
>>
>> Compares well to the various rye bread I've had over the years. Good
>> taste, good texture, good crust.
>>
>> The instructions tell you to refresh it by heating in a 350 deg. oven
>> but instead, I put a couple of slices in the toaster. That worked well.
>>
>> Given the price with shipping, it is not something I'd do every week or
>> so, but a once a year treat, sure. It went well with a salad. Tomorrow
>> morning, with eggs.
>
> I looked at their web site. That's is a costly loaf! Never had a loaf
> of bread that was more than 20$.

It's cheaper if you pick it up in person. I buy a loaf a couple times
a week. I think it's $7.29 per loaf.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Zingerman's Rye Bread

<up42qe$3iqf4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=299429&group=rec.food.cooking#299429

From: bob@sympatico.com (bob)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 16:15:27 -0700
 by: bob - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 23:15 UTC

On 2024-01-27 23:00:13 +0000, Cindy Hamilton said:

> On 2024-01-27, bob <bob@sympatico.com> wrote:
>> On 2024-01-27 00:25:26 +0000, Ed P said:
>>
>>> My rye bread came today, just in time for dinner.
>>>
>>> Compares well to the various rye bread I've had over the years. Good
>>> taste, good texture, good crust.
>>>
>>> The instructions tell you to refresh it by heating in a 350 deg. oven
>>> but instead, I put a couple of slices in the toaster. That worked well.
>>>
>>> Given the price with shipping, it is not something I'd do every week or
>>> so, but a once a year treat, sure. It went well with a salad. Tomorrow
>>> morning, with eggs.
>>
>> I looked at their web site. That's is a costly loaf! Never had a loaf
>> of bread that was more than 20$.
>
> It's cheaper if you pick it up in person. I buy a loaf a couple times
> a week. I think it's $7.29 per loaf.

Yes, the shipping was more than the loaf.

Re: Zingerman's Rye Bread

<up46f5$3j8m7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=299437&group=rec.food.cooking#299437

From: Bruce@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 11:17:39 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 00:17 UTC

On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 23:00:13 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2024-01-27, bob <bob@sympatico.com> wrote:
>> On 2024-01-27 00:25:26 +0000, Ed P said:
>>
>>> My rye bread came today, just in time for dinner.
>>>
>>> Compares well to the various rye bread I've had over the years. Good
>>> taste, good texture, good crust.
>>>
>>> The instructions tell you to refresh it by heating in a 350 deg. oven
>>> but instead, I put a couple of slices in the toaster. That worked well.
>>>
>>> Given the price with shipping, it is not something I'd do every week or
>>> so, but a once a year treat, sure. It went well with a salad. Tomorrow
>>> morning, with eggs.
>>
>> I looked at their web site. That's is a costly loaf! Never had a loaf
>> of bread that was more than 20$.
>
>It's cheaper if you pick it up in person. I buy a loaf a couple times
>a week. I think it's $7.29 per loaf.

That's a lot but it probably last much longer than a foamy supermarket
bread for a couple of dollars. Not to mention the flavour difference.

Re: Zingerman's Rye Bread

<f6rg8k-a7k.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=299447&group=rec.food.cooking#299447

From: songbird@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 21:36:31 -0500
 by: songbird - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 02:36 UTC

Ed P wrote:

> My rye bread came today, just in time for dinner.
>
> Compares well to the various rye bread I've had over the years. Good
> taste, good texture, good crust.
>
> The instructions tell you to refresh it by heating in a 350 deg. oven
> but instead, I put a couple of slices in the toaster. That worked well.
>
> Given the price with shipping, it is not something I'd do every week or
> so, but a once a year treat, sure. It went well with a salad. Tomorrow
> morning, with eggs.

we got a Pepperidge Farm Pumpernickle the other day for
$4.fiddy i'm pretty sure it's edible and good as we've
had it before. the loaves i'd made in the bread machine
were better - saurkraut is magic.

songbird

Re: Zingerman's Rye Bread

<up4juv$3otlg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=299451&group=rec.food.cooking#299451

From: Bruce@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 15:07:57 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 04:07 UTC

On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 21:36:31 -0500, songbird <songbird@anthive.com>
wrote:

>Ed P wrote:
>
>> My rye bread came today, just in time for dinner.
>>
>> Compares well to the various rye bread I've had over the years. Good
>> taste, good texture, good crust.
>>
>> The instructions tell you to refresh it by heating in a 350 deg. oven
>> but instead, I put a couple of slices in the toaster. That worked well.
>>
>> Given the price with shipping, it is not something I'd do every week or
>> so, but a once a year treat, sure. It went well with a salad. Tomorrow
>> morning, with eggs.
>
> we got a Pepperidge Farm Pumpernickle the other day for
>$4.fiddy i'm pretty sure it's edible and good as we've
>had it before. the loaves i'd made in the bread machine
>were better - saurkraut is magic.

If bread you make in the bread machine is better than bread you buy
from a real baker, your real baker is a fraud or your taste buds are
failing.

Re: Zingerman's Rye Bread

<RYptN.290356$PuZ9.202976@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=299473&group=rec.food.cooking#299473

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamilton@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 10:25:53 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 10:25 UTC

On 2024-01-28, Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 21:36:31 -0500, songbird <songbird@anthive.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Ed P wrote:
>>
>>> My rye bread came today, just in time for dinner.
>>>
>>> Compares well to the various rye bread I've had over the years. Good
>>> taste, good texture, good crust.
>>>
>>> The instructions tell you to refresh it by heating in a 350 deg. oven
>>> but instead, I put a couple of slices in the toaster. That worked well.
>>>
>>> Given the price with shipping, it is not something I'd do every week or
>>> so, but a once a year treat, sure. It went well with a salad. Tomorrow
>>> morning, with eggs.
>>
>> we got a Pepperidge Farm Pumpernickle the other day for
>>$4.fiddy i'm pretty sure it's edible and good as we've
>>had it before. the loaves i'd made in the bread machine
>>were better - saurkraut is magic.
>
> If bread you make in the bread machine is better than bread you buy
> from a real baker, your real baker is a fraud or your taste buds are
> failing.

Pepperidge Farm isn't a real baker. It's another mass-market brand
of bread. Slightly better than average, but still...

"ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE
MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WATER, RYE MEAL, WHEAT GLUTEN,
YEAST, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: RYE FLOUR, SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, COCOA
PROCESSED WITH ALKALI FOR COLOR, GROUND CARAWAY, CALCIUM PROPIONATE AND
SORBIC ACID TO EXTEND FRESHNESS, CARAMEL COLOR, MONOGLYCERIDES, ONION
POWDER, LACTIC ACID, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, DEXTROSE, SOY LECITHIN."

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Zingerman's Rye Bread

<up5b3o$3s9n5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=299475&group=rec.food.cooking#299475

From: Bruce@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 21:43:02 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 10:43 UTC

On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 10:25:53 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2024-01-28, Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 21:36:31 -0500, songbird <songbird@anthive.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>we got a Pepperidge Farm Pumpernickle the other day for
>>>$4.fiddy i'm pretty sure it's edible and good as we've
>>>had it before. the loaves i'd made in the bread machine
>>>were better - saurkraut is magic.
>>
>> If bread you make in the bread machine is better than bread you buy
>> from a real baker, your real baker is a fraud or your taste buds are
>> failing.
>
>Pepperidge Farm isn't a real baker. It's another mass-market brand
>of bread. Slightly better than average, but still...
>
>"ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE
>MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WATER, RYE MEAL, WHEAT GLUTEN,
>YEAST, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: RYE FLOUR, SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, COCOA
>PROCESSED WITH ALKALI FOR COLOR, GROUND CARAWAY, CALCIUM PROPIONATE AND
>SORBIC ACID TO EXTEND FRESHNESS, CARAMEL COLOR, MONOGLYCERIDES, ONION
>POWDER, LACTIC ACID, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, DEXTROSE, SOY LECITHIN."

Ok, that explains it :)

Re: Zingerman's Rye Bread

<jh9i8k-266.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=299483&group=rec.food.cooking#299483

From: songbird@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 10:47:31 -0500
 by: songbird - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 15:47 UTC

Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 21:36:31 -0500, songbird <songbird@anthive.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Ed P wrote:
>>
>>> My rye bread came today, just in time for dinner.
>>>
>>> Compares well to the various rye bread I've had over the years. Good
>>> taste, good texture, good crust.
>>>
>>> The instructions tell you to refresh it by heating in a 350 deg. oven
>>> but instead, I put a couple of slices in the toaster. That worked well.
>>>
>>> Given the price with shipping, it is not something I'd do every week or
>>> so, but a once a year treat, sure. It went well with a salad. Tomorrow
>>> morning, with eggs.
>>
>> we got a Pepperidge Farm Pumpernickle the other day for
>>$4.fiddy i'm pretty sure it's edible and good as we've
>>had it before. the loaves i'd made in the bread machine
>>were better - saurkraut is magic.
>
> If bread you make in the bread machine is better than bread you buy
> from a real baker, your real baker is a fraud or your taste buds are
> failing.

it's a mass produced bread. Mom won't bake any bread
other than her simple cracked wheat bread. dessert
breads she does make but nothing used for sandwiches for
her - i'll put peanut butter on some of them as a full
meal.

today and tomorrow is egg salad, not sure if we
have olives...

songbird

interests / rec.food.cooking / Zingerman's Rye Bread