Old age is always fifteen years old than I am. -- B. Baruch

interests / rec.food.cooking / fish sticks

SubjectAuthor
* fish stickssongbird
+* Re: fish sticksGM
|+- Re: fish sticksWilliam Price
|+* Re: fish sticksMike Duffy
||`- Re: fish stickssongbird
|`- Re: fish sticksBryanGSimmons
+* Re: fish sticksSqwertz
|`* Re: fish stickssongbird
| `* Re: fish stickscshenk
|  `* Re: fish stickssongbird
|   `* Re: fish stickscshenk
|    `* Re: fish sticksJanet
|     `* Re: fish stickssongbird
|      `* Re: fish stickscshenk
|       `* Re: fish sticksEd Pawlowski
|        +* Re: fish stickscshenk
|        |`- Re: fish stickssongbird
|        `* Re: fish sticksMike Duffy
|         +- Re: fish sticksHank Rogers
|         `* Re: fish stickscshenk
|          `* Re: fish stickssongbird
|           `* Re: fish stickscshenk
|            `* Re: fish sticksItsJoanNotJoAnn
|             +* Re: fish sticksBruce
|             |`* Re: fish sticksItsJoanNotJoAnn
|             | +- Re: fish sticksBruce
|             | `- Re: fish sticksCindy Hamilton
|             +- Re: fish sticksGM
|             `- Re: fish sticksHank Rogers
`* Re: fish sticksjmcquown
 +* Re: fish stickssongbird
 |`* Re: fish stickscshenk
 | `* Re: fish stickssongbird
 |  `- Re: fish sticksjmcquown
 `* Re: fish stickscshenk
  `* Re: fish sticksjmcquown
   `* Re: fish stickscshenk
    +- Re: fish stickssongbird
    `* Re: fish sticksjmcquown
     `* Re: fish stickscshenk
      +* Re: fish sticksjmcquown
      |+- Re: fish sticksBruce
      |+* Re: fish stickslucretia
      ||+- Re: fish sticksHank Rogers
      ||`* Re: fish sticksjmcquown
      || `* Re: fish sticksBruce
      ||  +* Re: fish sticksCindy Hamilton
      ||  |+- Re: fish sticksBruce
      ||  |`- Re: fish sticksjmcquown
      ||  `- Re: fish stickssongbird
      |+* Re: fish sticksEd P
      ||+- Re: fish sticksDave Smith
      ||`* Re: fish stickscshenk
      || `* Re: fish sticksjmcquown
      ||  `- Re: fish stickscshenk
      |+* Re: fish sticksGraham
      ||`- Re: fish sticksEd Pawlowski
      |`* Re: fish sticksGraham
      | +* Re: fish stickslucretia
      | |`- Re: fish sticksItsJoanNotJoAnn
      | +* Re: fish sticksjmcquown
      | |`* Re: fish sticksGraham
      | | `- Re: fish sticksEd P
      | +* Re: fish sticksLeonard Blaisdell
      | |`* Re: fish stickscshenk
      | | `* Re: fish sticksEd P
      | |  `* Re: fish stickscshenk
      | |   `* Re: fish sticksItsJoanNotJoAnn
      | |    `- Re: fish stickscshenk
      | `- Re: fish stickscshenk
      `* Re: fish stickssongbird
       `- Re: fish stickscshenk

Pages:123
fish sticks

<82s6bk-iic.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302648&group=rec.food.cooking#302648

From: songbird@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: fish sticks
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:38:48 -0500
 by: songbird - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:38 UTC

we made some yesterday. the tartar sauce was already
made from the last time we had them. it aged very well.
i decided i did not want breakfast food or cold food
this morning so had some of the leftover fish sticks
and tartar sauce for breakfast.

i also had some limeaide aka what i call grog but
basically it is ground up limes with the worst of the
hard skins removed. not very sweet but some sugar was
added. i use the stick blender to juice the limes
(after peeling) so it has a lot of fiber left in it.
it is a nice chance once in a while from tangerines or
apples.

i don't care particularly if the fish sticks are
soggy or not (they do come from the ocean after all...)
as long as they taste ok - which these did. the tartar
sauce is mostly what i care about and that is about half
dill pickles.

songbird

Re: fish sticks

<3078f01628eb2d5d35a755acc7cb9d3c@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302681&group=rec.food.cooking#302681

Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:46:21 +0000
Subject: Re: fish sticks
From: gregorymorrow@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
 by: GM - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:46 UTC

songbird wrote:

> we made some yesterday. the tartar sauce was already
> made from the last time we had them. it aged very well.
> i decided i did not want breakfast food or cold food
> this morning so had some of the leftover fish sticks
> and tartar sauce for breakfast.

> i also had some limeaide aka what i call grog but
> basically it is ground up limes with the worst of the
> hard skins removed. not very sweet but some sugar was
> added. i use the stick blender to juice the limes
> (after peeling) so it has a lot of fiber left in it.
> it is a nice chance once in a while from tangerines or
> apples.

> i don't care particularly if the fish sticks are
> soggy or not (they do come from the ocean after all...)
> as long as they taste ok - which these did. the tartar
> sauce is mostly what i care about and that is about half
> dill pickles.

I am practically sure that BRYAN is drooling about this fabulous meal you whipped up...

Lol...

--
GM

Re: fish sticks

<urqvjk$9gub$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302684&group=rec.food.cooking#302684

From: w.price@yahoo.net (William Price)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:14:14 -0500
 by: William Price - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 22:14 UTC

GM wrote:
> songbird wrote:
>
>>   we made some yesterday.  the tartar sauce was already
>> made from the last time we had them.  it aged very well.
>> i decided i did not want breakfast food or cold food
>> this morning so had some of the leftover fish sticks
>> and tartar sauce for breakfast.
>
>>   i also had some limeaide aka what i call grog but
>> basically it is ground up limes with the worst of the
>> hard skins removed.  not very sweet but some sugar was
>> added.  i use the stick blender to juice the limes
>> (after peeling) so it has a lot of fiber left in it.
>> it is a nice chance once in a while from tangerines or
>> apples.
>
>>   i don't care particularly if the fish sticks are
>> soggy or not (they do come from the ocean after all...)
>> as long as they taste ok - which these did.  the tartar
>> sauce is mostly what i care about and that is about half
>> dill pickles.
>

> I am practically sure that BRYAN is drooling about this fabulous meal
> you whipped up...
>
> Lol...

YES! Bryan only consumes the very bet of cuisines, as witnessed here -

https://postimg.cc/xJgz1BPZ

Re: fish sticks

<OC9EN.138382$46Te.30792@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302698&group=rec.food.cooking#302698

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxduffy@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 00:49:50 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 00:49 UTC

On 2024-02-29, GM wrote:

> I am practically sure that BRYAN is drooling
> about this fabulous meal you whipped up...

You were not paying attention, Greg. Songbird did say that any
sort of fish would do, but it was the aged half dill pickle
tartar sauce that made it great, NOT something whipped-up.

Now if we only knew what was in the other half ....

Re: fish sticks

<a4t7bk-60v.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302701&group=rec.food.cooking#302701

From: songbird@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 22:03:06 -0500
 by: songbird - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 03:03 UTC

Mike Duffy wrote:
> You were not paying attention, Greg. Songbird did say that any
> sort of fish would do, but it was the aged half dill pickle
> tartar sauce that made it great, NOT something whipped-up.
>
> Now if we only knew what was in the other half ....

i've mentioned the recipe here several times.
very easy really: miracle whip or mayo, your choice,
this time it had MW, lemon juice, minced dried onion,
onion powder, garlic powder, dill pickles (evenly
minced). pretty much everything to taste. i like
a lot of pickles and a lot of onions. i also like
tartar sauce to be tart so... plenty of lemon juice.

it's best made up a day or more ahead of time so
that the minced dried onion can get completely
rehydrated plus all the flavors to combine.

plenty of pickles. dill. i also like sweet pickles
but not in tartar sauce.

songbird

Re: fish sticks

<1fdx26hg89xls.dlg@sqwertz.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302720&group=rec.food.cooking#302720

From: sqwertzme@gmail.compost (Sqwertz)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 05:18:12 -0600
 by: Sqwertz - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:18 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:38:48 -0500, songbird wrote:

> we made some yesterday. the tartar sauce was already
> made from the last time we had them. it aged very well.
> i decided i did not want breakfast food or cold food
> this morning so had some of the leftover fish sticks
> and tartar sauce for breakfast.
>
> i also had some limeaide aka what i call grog but
> basically it is ground up limes with the worst of the
> hard skins removed. not very sweet but some sugar was
> added. i use the stick blender to juice the limes
> (after peeling) so it has a lot of fiber left in it.
> it is a nice chance once in a while from tangerines or
> apples.
>
> i don't care particularly if the fish sticks are
> soggy or not (they do come from the ocean after all...)
> as long as they taste ok - which these did. the tartar
> sauce is mostly what i care about and that is about half
> dill pickles.

Jesus, I can't imagine what you made the "fish sticks" out
of after hearing about the limeaide and ..."the tartar sauce
was already... aged very well".

You're literally describing my 12th grade fuck-friend. I
literally ate microwaved Price Club Chicken tenders all year
long - and the above.

I loved those Price Club tenderloins.

-sw

Re: fish sticks

<51v8bk-482.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302728&group=rec.food.cooking#302728

From: songbird@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 07:41:41 -0500
 by: songbird - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 12:41 UTC

Sqwertz wrote:
> Jesus, I can't imagine what you made the "fish sticks" out
> of after hearing about the limeaide and ..."the tartar sauce
> was already... aged very well".

Gorton's fish sticks. sold by the large bag. we bake
a large pan of them at a time so it feeds both of us for
two days. probably about 26 fish sticks total but that
total may wander around as neither of us really counts
them closely. 7ish is plenty for me for a meal and Mom
likes 6.

> You're literally describing my 12th grade fuck-friend. I
> literally ate microwaved Price Club Chicken tenders all year
> long - and the above.
>
> I loved those Price Club tenderloins.

i don't really like chicken much and would eat other
things instead, but if that is what is on the menu i eat
it anyways. ranch dressing, bbq, sweet and sour or
honey mustard - hot sauce added to any of those is good.
tartar sauce is also pretty good, but i wouldn't want to
have to make it all the time. well aged was just a
reference to having it on hand from the previous round
of making fish sticks. between the mayo or MW and
lemon juice i'm not worried about it spoiling.

one thing i do not do is melt cheese on this.

steak fries and tartar sauce is really freaking good
and the same if there is some good cole slaw (no tartar
sauce needed at all in that case - the cole slaw becomes
the tartar sauce and the tater sauce).

songbird (taterfully and tartarfully yons...

Re: fish sticks

<urt1se$1bc48$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302746&group=rec.food.cooking#302746

From: j_mcquown@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 12:05:11 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 17:05 UTC

On 2/29/2024 12:38 PM, songbird wrote:
> i don't care particularly if the fish sticks are
> soggy or not (they do come from the ocean after all...)
> as long as they taste ok - which these did. the tartar
> sauce is mostly what i care about and that is about half
> dill pickles.
>

> songbird

It's a good thing you don't care much about the fish sticks, although
how could they be anything but soggy if they're drenched in tartar
sauce? IMO Gorton's fish sticks aren't very good. Mrs. Paul's aren't
much better.

Jill

Re: fish sticks

<obm9bk-8sc.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302761&group=rec.food.cooking#302761

From: songbird@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 14:19:52 -0500
 by: songbird - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 19:19 UTC

jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/29/2024 12:38 PM, songbird wrote:
>> i don't care particularly if the fish sticks are
>> soggy or not (they do come from the ocean after all...)
>> as long as they taste ok - which these did. the tartar
>> sauce is mostly what i care about and that is about half
>> dill pickles.
>>

>> songbird
>
> It's a good thing you don't care much about the fish sticks, although
> how could they be anything but soggy if they're drenched in tartar
> sauce? IMO Gorton's fish sticks aren't very good. Mrs. Paul's aren't
> much better.

for the first round when they are fresh baked they
are very crunchy even with tartar sauce on them, they
only get soggy being in a container in the fridge
overnight. we usually bake them extra to get them
really crunchy. the next day, well, soggy, it's fine
they still taste ok to me. i'm not picky about
textures as much as Mom is. i could probably eat them
frozen from the package...

songbird

Re: fish sticks

<CzGdnbuVKKo5pn_4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302774&group=rec.food.cooking#302774

From: cshenk@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 20:33:40 +0000
 by: cshenk - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 20:33 UTC

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/29/2024 12:38 PM, songbird wrote:
> > i don't care particularly if the fish sticks are
> > soggy or not (they do come from the ocean after all...)
> > as long as they taste ok - which these did. the tartar
> > sauce is mostly what i care about and that is about half
> > dill pickles.
> >

> > songbird
>
> It's a good thing you don't care much about the fish sticks, although
> how could they be anything but soggy if they're drenched in tartar
> sauce? IMO Gorton's fish sticks aren't very good. Mrs. Paul's
> aren't much better.
>
> Jill

Actually, in an air fryer, Gorton's fish sticks are pretty good.
Nicely crispy and moist inside. Air fryers are odd that way.

Re: fish sticks

<20qdnYFA6tNPoX_4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302775&group=rec.food.cooking#302775

From: cshenk@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 20:38:42 +0000
 by: cshenk - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 20:38 UTC

songbird wrote:

<snipped)

> steak fries and tartar sauce is really freaking good
> and the same if there is some good cole slaw (no tartar
> sauce needed at all in that case - the cole slaw becomes
> the tartar sauce and the tater sauce).

I love tartar sauce on fries! I rarely make my own and it's just
chopped picles and mayo, I like the tip on dehydrated onions and will
try that.

Re: fish sticks

<urtosl$1gc8d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302798&group=rec.food.cooking#302798

From: j_mcquown@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 18:37:52 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 23:37 UTC

On 3/1/2024 3:33 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 2/29/2024 12:38 PM, songbird wrote:
>>> i don't care particularly if the fish sticks are
>>> soggy or not (they do come from the ocean after all...)
>>> as long as they taste ok - which these did. the tartar
>>> sauce is mostly what i care about and that is about half
>>> dill pickles.
>>>

>>> songbird
>>
>> It's a good thing you don't care much about the fish sticks, although
>> how could they be anything but soggy if they're drenched in tartar
>> sauce? IMO Gorton's fish sticks aren't very good. Mrs. Paul's
>> aren't much better.
>>
>> Jill
>
> Actually, in an air fryer, Gorton's fish sticks are pretty good.
> Nicely crispy and moist inside. Air fryers are odd that way.

There is more breading than fish, not really worth it.

Jill

Re: fish sticks

<24kabk-rrp.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302805&group=rec.food.cooking#302805

From: songbird@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 22:47:46 -0500
 by: songbird - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 03:47 UTC

cshenk wrote:
> songbird wrote:
>
><snipped)
>>
>> steak fries and tartar sauce is really freaking good
>> and the same if there is some good cole slaw (no tartar
>> sauce needed at all in that case - the cole slaw becomes
>> the tartar sauce and the tater sauce).
>
> I love tartar sauce on fries! I rarely make my own and it's just
> chopped picles and mayo, I like the tip on dehydrated onions and will
> try that.

:) it's a nice change of pace from ketchup.

songbird

Re: fish sticks

<8ZqcnRrLIqTX6n74nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302823&group=rec.food.cooking#302823

From: cshenk@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 19:00:26 +0000
 by: cshenk - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 19:00 UTC

songbird wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> > songbird wrote:
> >
> > <snipped)
> >>
> >> steak fries and tartar sauce is really freaking good
> >> and the same if there is some good cole slaw (no tartar
> >> sauce needed at all in that case - the cole slaw becomes
> >> the tartar sauce and the tater sauce).
> >
> > I love tartar sauce on fries! I rarely make my own and it's just
> > chopped picles and mayo, I like the tip on dehydrated onions and
> > will try that.
>
> :) it's a nice change of pace from ketchup.
>

> songbird

I'm not really much on ketchup. We only use it occasionally. Now and
again, I'll do a mash-up with 2 spoons mayo, scant spoon ketchup, 1
spoon mustard, some fine minced onions (raw, must be raw) and mix it
all up.

Re: fish sticks

<k32dnT6JVIcr5X74nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302824&group=rec.food.cooking#302824

From: cshenk@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 19:06:30 +0000
 by: cshenk - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 19:06 UTC

songbird wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > On 2/29/2024 12:38 PM, songbird wrote:
> >> i don't care particularly if the fish sticks are
> >> soggy or not (they do come from the ocean after all...)
> >> as long as they taste ok - which these did. the tartar
> >> sauce is mostly what i care about and that is about half
> >> dill pickles.
> >>

> >> songbird
> >
> > It's a good thing you don't care much about the fish sticks,
> > although how could they be anything but soggy if they're drenched
> > in tartar sauce? IMO Gorton's fish sticks aren't very good. Mrs.
> > Paul's aren't much better.
>
> for the first round when they are fresh baked they
> are very crunchy even with tartar sauce on them, they
> only get soggy being in a container in the fridge
> overnight. we usually bake them extra to get them
> really crunchy. the next day, well, soggy, it's fine
> they still taste ok to me. i'm not picky about
> textures as much as Mom is. i could probably eat them
> frozen from the package...
>

> songbird

That's one of the things air fryers do nicely. Recrisp things. Set to
2 minutes at 350F and check. Might be 3 minutes, depends on howmany.
You said about 7 (earlier comment). I'd go 3 minutes to recrisp 7 of
them.

Jill found one for 12$ (or was it 11?) at a local store. The prices
are dropping a lot.

Re: fish sticks

<RWadnQJfiLAa5H74nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302825&group=rec.food.cooking#302825

From: cshenk@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 19:09:59 +0000
 by: cshenk - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 19:09 UTC

jmcquown wrote:

> On 3/1/2024 3:33 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> > > It's a good thing you don't care much about the fish sticks,
> > > although how could they be anything but soggy if they're drenched
> > > in tartar sauce? IMO Gorton's fish sticks aren't very good.
> > > Mrs. Paul's aren't much better.
> > >
> > > Jill
> >
> > Actually, in an air fryer, Gorton's fish sticks are pretty good.
> > Nicely crispy and moist inside. Air fryers are odd that way.
>

> There is more breading than fish, not really worth it.
>
> Jill

???? Which type of Gortons did you get? They do NOT have more
breading than fish! It's thinner than shake-n-bake original.

Re: fish sticks

<MPG.404da54115faf42c989bf0@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302833&group=rec.food.cooking#302833

From: nobody@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 21:06:43 -0000
 by: Janet - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 21:06 UTC

In article
<8ZqcnRrLIqTX6n74nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>,
cshenk@virginia-beach.net says...

> I'm not really much on ketchup. We only use it occasionally. Now and
> again, I'll do a mash-up with 2 spoons mayo, scant spoon ketchup, 1
> spoon mustard, some fine minced onions (raw, must be raw) and mix it
> all up.

what the hell is that?

Janet UK

Re: fish sticks

<0jlcbk-bbl.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302839&group=rec.food.cooking#302839

From: songbird@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 17:25:04 -0500
 by: songbird - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 22:25 UTC

cshenk wrote:
> ???? Which type of Gortons did you get? They do NOT have more
> breading than fish! It's thinner than shake-n-bake original.

there is actually a fair amount of coating on them.
they don't look like the picture on the package much at
all.

it doesn't matter to me, i'll eat them anyways, but
left to my own devices i'd probably eat sardines from
the can instead. then i would also skip the tartar
sauce and use hot sauce instead. mustard sauce i like
the best these days.

songbird

Re: fish sticks

<c1lcbk-bbl.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302842&group=rec.food.cooking#302842

From: songbird@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 17:15:40 -0500
 by: songbird - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 22:15 UTC

cshenk wrote:
....air fryer...
> Jill found one for 12$ (or was it 11?) at a local store. The prices
> are dropping a lot.

no, we're not jumping on that bandwagon. we don't have
counter space for more gadgets and we don't really cook
like that often enough to bother. when we do cook we're
cooking larger amounts of things (often several loads
of pans through the oven) and then freezing portions or
giving it all away.

songbird

Re: fish sticks

<itkcbk-bbl.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302843&group=rec.food.cooking#302843

From: songbird@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 17:13:38 -0500
 by: songbird - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 22:13 UTC

Janet wrote:
> In article
><8ZqcnRrLIqTX6n74nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>,
> cshenk@virginia-beach.net says...
>
>> I'm not really much on ketchup. We only use it occasionally. Now and
>> again, I'll do a mash-up with 2 spoons mayo, scant spoon ketchup, 1
>> spoon mustard, some fine minced onions (raw, must be raw) and mix it
>> all up.
>
> what the hell is that?

a relish of sorts or a sauce. no biggie.

it's actually quite common to mix mayo and ketchup.
of all places to find it i did not expect to find it
in the Bahama's but there it was to go along with the
conch fritters.

for me mayo, fresh onion and ketchup work best on a
cheeseburger off the grill with slices of tomato. i
don't really like mustard on burgers for some strange
reason - i do like it on other things.

songbird

Re: fish sticks

<65e47555$0$2137427$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302876&group=rec.food.cooking#302876

Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 07:04:20 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: bryangsimmons@gmail.com (BryanGSimmons)
 by: BryanGSimmons - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 13:04 UTC

On 2/29/2024 3:46 PM, GM wrote:
> songbird wrote:
>
>>   we made some yesterday.  the tartar sauce was already
>> made from the last time we had them.  it aged very well.
>> i decided i did not want breakfast food or cold food
>> this morning so had some of the leftover fish sticks
>> and tartar sauce for breakfast.
>
>>   i also had some limeaide aka what i call grog but
>> basically it is ground up limes with the worst of the
>> hard skins removed.  not very sweet but some sugar was
>> added.  i use the stick blender to juice the limes
>> (after peeling) so it has a lot of fiber left in it.
>> it is a nice chance once in a while from tangerines or
>> apples.
>
>>   i don't care particularly if the fish sticks are
>> soggy or not (they do come from the ocean after all...)
>> as long as they taste ok - which these did.  the tartar
>> sauce is mostly what i care about and that is about half
>> dill pickles.
>

> I am practically sure that BRYAN is drooling about this fabulous meal
> you whipped up...

Songbird and his mother merit being slopped like barnyard pigs.

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly

"Most of the food described here is nauseating.
We're just too courteous to say so."
-- Cindy Hamilton

Re: fish sticks

<us23t5$2hsg4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302881&group=rec.food.cooking#302881

From: j_mcquown@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 10:10:29 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 15:10 UTC

On 3/2/2024 5:15 PM, songbird wrote:
> cshenk wrote:
> ...air fryer...
>> Jill found one for 12$ (or was it 11?) at a local store. The prices
>> are dropping a lot.

No, I ordered it online for $20 w/free shipping then later found the
same thing offered on another site for $10. So far it hasn't been worth
it but at least it didn't cost an arm and a leg. It's currently sitting
on the floor of the laundry room and still taking up space. I'll
probably wind up giving it away.

Jill

> no, we're not jumping on that bandwagon. we don't have
> counter space for more gadgets and we don't really cook
> like that often enough to bother. when we do cook we're
> cooking larger amounts of things (often several loads
> of pans through the oven) and then freezing portions or
> giving it all away.
>

> songbird

Re: fish sticks

<us24c5$2hsg4$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302882&group=rec.food.cooking#302882

From: j_mcquown@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 10:18:29 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 15:18 UTC

On 3/2/2024 2:09 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Actually, in an air fryer, Gorton's fish sticks are pretty good.
>>> Nicely crispy and moist inside. Air fryers are odd that way.
>>

>> There is more breading than fish, not really worth it.
>>
>> Jill
>
> ???? Which type of Gortons did you get? They do NOT have more
> breading than fish! It's thinner than shake-n-bake original.

How many types are there? Gorton's Fish Sticks:

https://www.gortons.com/products/crunchy-breaded-fish-sticks/

Joan recently posted about them and was disappointed, too. She did say
they were better when she reheated them in oil on the stovetop (and yes,
she has an air fryer).

Jill

Re: fish sticks

<1D6dnceiR-bVV3n4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302889&group=rec.food.cooking#302889

From: cshenk@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 19:06:48 +0000
 by: cshenk - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 19:06 UTC

songbird wrote:

> Janet wrote:
> > In article
> > <8ZqcnRrLIqTX6n74nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>,
> > cshenk@virginia-beach.net says...
> >
> >> I'm not really much on ketchup. We only use it occasionally. Now
> and >> again, I'll do a mash-up with 2 spoons mayo, scant spoon
> ketchup, 1 >> spoon mustard, some fine minced onions (raw, must be
> raw) and mix it >> all up.
> >
> > what the hell is that?
>
> a relish of sorts or a sauce. no biggie.

Yup. I just call it a dipping sauce but 'relish' isn't far off. I
tend to have 'bread-n-butter' pickle chips with it. (that may be a
regional name, not sure. It's a little sweet but below sweet pickles
with a nice briny vinegar finish).

> it's actually quite common to mix mayo and ketchup.
> of all places to find it i did not expect to find it
> in the Bahama's but there it was to go along with the
> conch fritters.

Here;s a variation: use Jufran banana sauce (mild, medium or hot) in
place of the ketchup.
> for me mayo, fresh onion and ketchup work best on a
> cheeseburger off the grill with slices of tomato. i
> don't really like mustard on burgers for some strange
> reason - i do like it on other things.
>

> songbird

That's fair. I often skip the mustard on cheeseburgers. Don't hate me
but I usually skip the tomato. What I did like was the earthy beetroot
slices in OZ that they use.

Re: fish sticks

<c7-cnUpZC-kOUXn4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=302890&group=rec.food.cooking#302890

From: cshenk@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 19:16:35 +0000
 by: cshenk - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 19:16 UTC

jmcquown wrote:

> On 3/2/2024 2:09 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> > > There is more breading than fish, not really worth it.
> > >
> > > Jill
> >
> > ???? Which type of Gortons did you get? They do NOT have more
> > breading than fish! It's thinner than shake-n-bake original.
>
> How many types are there? Gorton's Fish Sticks:
>
> https://www.gortons.com/products/crunchy-breaded-fish-sticks/
>
> Joan recently posted about them and was disappointed, too. She did
> say they were better when she reheated them in oil on the stovetop
> (and yes, she has an air fryer).
>
> Jill

https://www.gortons.com/products/crunchy-breaded-fish-sticks-18-ct/

The 18 pack shows the picture and the breading vs fish. It is accurate
to air fryer results. I don't know why the picture is missing on the
20 count.