Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy. -- Han Solo

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: baked beans, tuna casserole

SubjectAuthor
* baked beans, tuna casserolesongbird
+* Re: baked beans, tuna casserolecshenk
|`* Re: baked beans, tuna casserolesongbird
| `* Re: baked beans, tuna casserolecshenk
|  `* Re: baked beans, tuna casseroleBruce
|   `* Re: baked beans, tuna casseroleCindy Hamilton
|    +* Re: baked beans, tuna casseroleBruce
|    |`* Re: baked beans, tuna casseroleS Viemeister
|    | `* Re: baked beans, tuna casseroleCindy Hamilton
|    |  `- Re: baked beans, tuna casseroleBruce
|    `- Re: baked beans, tuna casserolecshenk
`* Re: baked beans, tuna casseroleBryanGSimmons
 `* Re: baked beans, tuna casseroleGM
  `* Re: baked beans, tuna casseroleHank Rogers
   `- Re: baked beans, tuna casseroleGM

1
baked beans, tuna casserole

<b8hmbk-7q5.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=303048&group=rec.food.cooking#303048

From: songbird@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: baked beans, tuna casserole
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 11:12:27 -0500
 by: songbird - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:12 UTC

a normal baked bean batch for us starts at about
six gallons, sometimes it can be more than that.

so the other day it was make some beans time and
i used a blend of store-bought Great Northern beans
and added in some other beans that i grew here -
mostly Yellow Eye, Painted Pony and Purple Dove.
the larger beans take about 30-45 minutes more to
cook than the smaller beans so when i get a pot
going i make sure to include plenty of water for
what i'll be adding later to top it off.

they turned out perfectly done and then ready to
go on to the baked bean stage where Mom adds the
onions, sauce (and weenies for the non-veggy version).
and then bakes them a while to finish.

the hardest thing in all of this is having enough
room in the refridgerator or freezer when she's done.

next day it was tuna casserole which we've not had
for quite a long time. mushrooms, onions, tuna,
white sauce, peas, crushed potato chips on top.
about as basic as you can make it.

almost all of it is now given away. a few quarts
in the freezer of cooked beans and extras from the
baked beans and then a container in the fridge of
each for us to eat over the next few days.

i think i've done dishes 15 times in the past few
days...

songbird

Re: baked beans, tuna casserole

<Z_ucnVkqO-updXX4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=303104&group=rec.food.cooking#303104

From: cshenk@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Subject: Re: baked beans, tuna casserole
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 22:03:32 +0000
 by: cshenk - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 22:03 UTC

songbird wrote:

> a normal baked bean batch for us starts at about
> six gallons, sometimes it can be more than that.
>
> so the other day it was make some beans time and
> i used a blend of store-bought Great Northern beans
> and added in some other beans that i grew here -
> mostly Yellow Eye, Painted Pony and Purple Dove.
> the larger beans take about 30-45 minutes more to
> cook than the smaller beans so when i get a pot
> going i make sure to include plenty of water for
> what i'll be adding later to top it off.
>
> they turned out perfectly done and then ready to
> go on to the baked bean stage where Mom adds the
> onions, sauce (and weenies for the non-veggy version).
> and then bakes them a while to finish.
>
> the hardest thing in all of this is having enough
> room in the refridgerator or freezer when she's done.
>
> next day it was tuna casserole which we've not had
> for quite a long time. mushrooms, onions, tuna,
> white sauce, peas, crushed potato chips on top.
> about as basic as you can make it.
>
> almost all of it is now given away. a few quarts
> in the freezer of cooked beans and extras from the
> baked beans and then a container in the fridge of
> each for us to eat over the next few days.
>
> i think i've done dishes 15 times in the past few
> days...
>

> songbird

Maybe leave out the meat and try canning the excess?

Re: baked beans, tuna casserole

<65e90690$0$876042$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=303124&group=rec.food.cooking#303124

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:12:52 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: bryangsimmons@gmail.com (BryanGSimmons)
 by: BryanGSimmons - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 00:12 UTC

On 3/6/2024 10:12 AM, songbird wrote:
> a normal baked bean batch for us starts at about
> six gallons, sometimes it can be more than that.
>
> so the other day it was make some beans time and
> i used a blend of store-bought Great Northern beans
> and added in some other beans that i grew here -
> mostly Yellow Eye, Painted Pony and Purple Dove.
> the larger beans take about 30-45 minutes more to
> cook than the smaller beans so when i get a pot
> going i make sure to include plenty of water for
> what i'll be adding later to top it off.
>
> they turned out perfectly done and then ready to
> go on to the baked bean stage where Mom adds the
> onions, sauce (and weenies for the non-veggy version).
> and then bakes them a while to finish.
>
> the hardest thing in all of this is having enough
> room in the refridgerator or freezer when she's done.
>
> next day it was tuna casserole which we've not had
> for quite a long time. mushrooms, onions, tuna,
> white sauce, peas, crushed potato chips on top.
> about as basic as you can make it.
>
> almost all of it is now given away. a few quarts
> in the freezer of cooked beans and extras from the
> baked beans and then a container in the fridge of
> each for us to eat over the next few days.
>
> i think i've done dishes 15 times in the past few
> days...

Your meals are pukeworthy.

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly

"Most of the food described here is nauseating.
We're just too courteous to say so."
-- Cindy Hamilton

Re: baked beans, tuna casserole

<3fc5c05cb6ab796607267861e4da2d4a@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=303129&group=rec.food.cooking#303129

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 00:38:49 +0000
From: gregorymorrow@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
 by: GM - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 00:38 UTC

BryanGSimmons wrote:

> On 3/6/2024 10:12 AM, songbird wrote:
>> a normal baked bean batch for us starts at about
>> six gallons, sometimes it can be more than that.
>>
>> so the other day it was make some beans time and
>> i used a blend of store-bought Great Northern beans
>> and added in some other beans that i grew here -
>> mostly Yellow Eye, Painted Pony and Purple Dove.
>> the larger beans take about 30-45 minutes more to
>> cook than the smaller beans so when i get a pot
>> going i make sure to include plenty of water for
>> what i'll be adding later to top it off.
>>
>> they turned out perfectly done and then ready to
>> go on to the baked bean stage where Mom adds the
>> onions, sauce (and weenies for the non-veggy version).
>> and then bakes them a while to finish.
>>
>> the hardest thing in all of this is having enough
>> room in the refridgerator or freezer when she's done.
>>
>> next day it was tuna casserole which we've not had
>> for quite a long time. mushrooms, onions, tuna,
>> white sauce, peas, crushed potato chips on top.
>> about as basic as you can make it.
>>
>> almost all of it is now given away. a few quarts
>> in the freezer of cooked beans and extras from the
>> baked beans and then a container in the fridge of
>> each for us to eat over the next few days.
>>
>> i think i've done dishes 15 times in the past few
>> days...

> Your meals are pukeworthy.

Lol, Bryan!

I *knew* that would "impress" you...

Might as well put all that slop together in a blender and pulverize, set it outside in dishes for the varmints...

--
GM

Re: baked beans, tuna casserole

<65e91097$0$2088291$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=303131&group=rec.food.cooking#303131

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:55:46 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 00:55 UTC

GM wrote:
> BryanGSimmons wrote:
>
>> On 3/6/2024 10:12 AM, songbird wrote:
>>>    a normal baked bean batch for us starts at about
>>> six gallons, sometimes it can be more than that.
>>>
>>>    so the other day it was make some beans time and
>>> i used a blend of store-bought Great Northern beans
>>> and added in some other beans that i grew here -
>>> mostly Yellow Eye, Painted Pony and Purple Dove.
>>> the larger beans take about 30-45 minutes more to
>>> cook than the smaller beans so when i get a pot
>>> going i make sure to include plenty of water for
>>> what i'll be adding later to top it off.
>>>
>>>    they turned out perfectly done and then ready to
>>> go on to the baked bean stage where Mom adds the
>>> onions, sauce (and weenies for the non-veggy version).
>>> and then bakes them a while to finish.
>>>
>>>    the hardest thing in all of this is having enough
>>> room in the refridgerator or freezer when she's done.
>>>
>>>    next day it was tuna casserole which we've not had
>>> for quite a long time.  mushrooms, onions, tuna,
>>> white sauce, peas, crushed potato chips on top.
>>> about as basic as you can make it.
>>>
>>>    almost all of it is now given away.  a few quarts
>>> in the freezer of cooked beans and extras from the
>>> baked beans and then a container in the fridge of
>>> each for us to eat over the next few days.
>>>
>>>    i think i've done dishes 15 times in the past few
>>> days...
>
>>  >
>> Your meals are pukeworthy.
>

> Lol, Bryan!
>
> I *knew* that would "impress" you...
>
> Might as well put all that slop together in a blender and pulverize, set it
> outside in dishes for the varmints...

What's wrong with it? Popeye used to cook up huge quantities of grub too.
If you need chow for hundred's of people, it's fine.

Re: baked beans, tuna casserole

<a2anbk-6di.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=303134&group=rec.food.cooking#303134

From: songbird@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:15:54 -0500
 by: songbird - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 23:15 UTC

cshenk wrote:
> Maybe leave out the meat and try canning the excess?

not needed, we give it away, the crunch is when
we're making it and keeping it cool overnight until
it can be delivered. once that is done then there's
plenty of room again. the freezer now being mostly
full means we'll probably not cook much for the
next few weeks.

songbird

Re: baked beans, tuna casserole

<yXWdnf3hi9qe6nb4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=303291&group=rec.food.cooking#303291

From: cshenk@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 20:37:23 +0000
 by: cshenk - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:37 UTC

songbird wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> > Maybe leave out the meat and try canning the excess?
>
> not needed, we give it away, the crunch is when
> we're making it and keeping it cool overnight until
> it can be delivered. once that is done then there's
> plenty of room again. the freezer now being mostly
> full means we'll probably not cook much for the
> next few weeks.
>

> songbird

Ok! It would be easy to waterbath can though without the meat from my
understanding.

Re: baked beans, tuna casserole

<usftb4$1t8qe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=303294&group=rec.food.cooking#303294

From: Bruce@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 07:44:18 +1100
 by: Bruce - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:44 UTC

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 20:37:23 +0000, "cshenk"
<cshenk@virginia-beach.net> wrote:

>Ok! It would be easy to waterbath can though without the meat from my
>understanding.

This must be secret code.

Re: baked beans, tuna casserole

<70f7c231d12da47524a95b6e7df7018e@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=303298&group=rec.food.cooking#303298

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 21:00:40 +0000
From: gregorymorrow@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
 by: GM - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 21:00 UTC

Hank Rogers wrote:

> GM wrote:
>> BryanGSimmons wrote:

>>>  >
>>> Your meals are pukeworthy.
>>

>> Lol, Bryan!
>>
>> I *knew* that would "impress" you...
>>
>> Might as well put all that slop together in a blender and pulverize, set it
>> outside in dishes for the varmints...
>>

> What's wrong with it? Popeye used to cook up huge quantities of grub too.
> If you need chow for hundred's of people, it's fine.

But "songbird" don't have amy Navy "pineapples" to help out... nor any of these big - ass USN nuclear - powered steam kettles,,,

Nor whores in every port, as did Our Olde Sailor...

--
GM

Re: baked beans, tuna casserole

<65eb8e05$0$3158680$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=303314&group=rec.food.cooking#303314

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamilton@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: 08 Mar 2024 22:15:33 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 22:15 UTC

On 2024-03-08, Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 20:37:23 +0000, "cshenk"
><cshenk@virginia-beach.net> wrote:
>
>>Ok! It would be easy to waterbath can though without the meat from my
>>understanding.
>
> This must be secret code.

Only if you've never done any home canning. Acidic food can be
canned using a pot of boiling water (a water bath). Non-acidic
food (like meat) must be canned in a pressure canner.

https://www.healthycanning.com/resources-for-home-preserving-in-australia/

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: baked beans, tuna casserole

<usg3eb$1udjo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=303320&group=rec.food.cooking#303320

From: Bruce@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 09:28:26 +1100
 by: Bruce - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 22:28 UTC

On 08 Mar 2024 22:15:33 GMT, Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com>
wrote:

>On 2024-03-08, Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 20:37:23 +0000, "cshenk"
>><cshenk@virginia-beach.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Ok! It would be easy to waterbath can though without the meat from my
>>>understanding.
>>
>> This must be secret code.
>
>Only if you've never done any home canning. Acidic food can be
>canned using a pot of boiling water (a water bath). Non-acidic
>food (like meat) must be canned in a pressure canner.
>
>https://www.healthycanning.com/resources-for-home-preserving-in-australia/

It was still a strange sentence.

Re: baked beans, tuna casserole

<l51ufaFqmt1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=303371&group=rec.food.cooking#303371

From: firstname@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 02:05:31 +0000
 by: S Viemeister - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 02:05 UTC

On 08/03/2024 22:28, Bruce wrote:
> On 08 Mar 2024 22:15:33 GMT, Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2024-03-08, Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> This must be secret code.
>>
>> Only if you've never done any home canning. Acidic food can be
>> canned using a pot of boiling water (a water bath). Non-acidic
>> food (like meat) must be canned in a pressure canner.
>>
>> https://www.healthycanning.com/resources-for-home-preserving-in-australia/
>
> It was still a strange sentence.

Indeed it was.

Re: baked beans, tuna casserole

<65ec4469$0$2130809$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=303389&group=rec.food.cooking#303389

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamilton@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: 09 Mar 2024 11:13:45 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 11:13 UTC

On 2024-03-09, S Viemeister <firstname@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:
> On 08/03/2024 22:28, Bruce wrote:
>> On 08 Mar 2024 22:15:33 GMT, Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Only if you've never done any home canning. Acidic food can be
>>> canned using a pot of boiling water (a water bath). Non-acidic
>>> food (like meat) must be canned in a pressure canner.
>>>
>>> https://www.healthycanning.com/resources-for-home-preserving-in-australia/
>>
>> It was still a strange sentence.
>>
> Indeed it was.

Yet anybody whose native tongue is English can probably decipher it.
A little punctuation might help:

"It would be easy to waterbath-can, though without the meat (from my
understanding)."

Although, of course, a complete edit would be better:

"From my understanding, without the meat it would be easy to can
in a water bath."

To think I used to get paid for this sort of thing...

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: baked beans, tuna casserole

<usidcg$2fsop$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=303447&group=rec.food.cooking#303447

From: Bruce@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 06:30:20 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 19:30 UTC

On 09 Mar 2024 11:13:45 GMT, Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com>
wrote:

>On 2024-03-09, S Viemeister <firstname@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:
>> On 08/03/2024 22:28, Bruce wrote:

>>> It was still a strange sentence.
>>>
>> Indeed it was.
>
>Yet anybody whose native tongue is English can probably decipher it.
>A little punctuation might help:
>
>"It would be easy to waterbath-can, though without the meat (from my
>understanding)."
>
>Although, of course, a complete edit would be better:
>
>"From my understanding, without the meat it would be easy to can
>in a water bath."
>
>To think I used to get paid for this sort of thing...

I still get paid for it, but I edit Dutch.

Re: baked beans, tuna casserole

<fpqcnYoH_6XiQnD4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=303559&group=rec.food.cooking#303559

From: cshenk@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 16:27:43 +0000
 by: cshenk - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 16:27 UTC

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On 2024-03-08, Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> > On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 20:37:23 +0000, "cshenk"
> ><cshenk@virginia-beach.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Ok! It would be easy to waterbath can though without the meat
> > > from my understanding.
> >
> > This must be secret code.
>
> Only if you've never done any home canning. Acidic food can be
> canned using a pot of boiling water (a water bath). Non-acidic
> food (like meat) must be canned in a pressure canner.

https://www.healthycanning.com/resources-for-home-preserving-in-australia/

That's why 'without the meat'. Not sure these would be ok with just
water bath.

As for me, just fruit preserves and the random pickles.